Homemade Heat Packs

Category Miscellaneous
Therapeutic heat packs can be quite helpful to treating aching muscles and other ailments. You don't need to buy an expensive one at the store, when you can easily make one at home. This is a guide about homemade heat packs.

A bag of corn kernels.

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

Homemade heat packs can be filled with various grains. This is a guide about using corn in a homemade heat pack.

Making a Microwave Heating Rice Pad

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? 2

This is a guide about making microwave heating pads. Microwave heating pads, often filled with rice, are used to soothe aches and pains.

• 1 part dried lavender flowers
  • 1 part dried eucalyptus buds
  • 1 part buckwheat seeds
  • 1 pouch fashioned into two sections

Directions:

Sew fabric into two equal sections leaving ends open. Divide ingredients into either end and sew shut. For stress headaches heat in microwave for 30 seconds. For migraine headaches place in freezer and then apply as necessary.

By Suzanne S.

I want to know if I can use plastic beads to fill the bags?

By Elizabeth

I wouldn't, due to the fact plastic gives off dangerous toxins when heated and will burn you if too hot. I'd use rice. I have heard of some folks who use kitty litter. Dried beans can be used as well.

You can also use dried corn kernels. Smells like popcorn when you put it in the microwave.

Anonymous

I made one filled with barley. It's been great, used for about a year and a half now, on a daily basis!

My friend has frequent joint pain and I would like to make her a rice heating pad, but she does not have a microwave. Is there any other way to heat the rice heating pad? I think the pad would catch fire if she tried to heat it up in an oven! Any solutions out there? (She won't buy a microwave.)

By Linda W.

Much better to give her a small electric heating pad-try Amazon: one for less than $10-Sunbeam Cozy Spot. Will last many years!

Maybe putting the pad into a sealed tight zip lock bag, (make sure all the air is out of the bag) and float in a sink of very hot water? Might even weigh it down with something so the bag is submerged in the water for awhile. Don't know how well it might work, but it is a heat source.

Hair dryer?

Can I use silica gel beads as filling for a microwavable heat pack? Or, I've heard of glycerin beads, but can't locate them. Any ideas?

By vcates from South Jordan, UT

I've never heard of silica gel beads or glycerin beads being used in making a microwavable heat pack. I have a microwavable heat pack and it is filled with white rice.

Anonymous

I was also going to say to use rice. I would think it wouldn't be safe to microwave the silica beads and probably not the glycerin ones either.

You can use dried beans as well.

Hi there! We use men's tube socks or women's knee high socks for heat packs (one of a pair that remains with no holes or tears) and fill with dried white or brown rice or dried barley. Works like a charm and if the sock happens to rip, we save as much rice or barley as possible, boil it up and add it to our dogs' food before starting all over with another stray sock. Can't get much thriftier than that! :) Good luck!

I want to make my own heat packs as Christmas gifts. Some have posted that they use rice, others use flax, some use oatmeal, etc. The ingredients don't cook or go rancid, etc. after use?

Also, which ingredient can I use for scent? Some say lavender turns after being heated and there were a few scents that didn't work at all.

Help!

By BeachMouse from Canada

I like to use rice, and you can scent with coffee beans, vanilla, coco, hazelnut. They happen to be my favorite coffee drink. Wild long grain rice.

Good luck, BD

I use buckwheat hulls and rice. I use lavender and rosemary essential oils and find the scent lasts a long time. You can always renew the scent if you close it with a few buttons or velcro. I sell alot of the neck wraps at craft shows. You do need to use all cotton material for these to be microwave safe though.

I've been wanting to make some for gifts also, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I was planning to use either flax seeds or buckwheat, which I've heard works better. I wouldn't want to use rice, because it seems like it would 'cook' it if you keep heating it, then smell bad.

As a coincidence, I got this instructional just today (from another newsletter I get) on how to make 'baby' heat packs. The are so cute, I may have to make a couple for my little grandson who seems to have ear infections quite often.

http://thedills  /hot-piping.html

The only thing I use is rice, beans or both. No, they do not go bad or rancid as I've had mine for at least 5 years and use it over and over.

I would like to make a bean or rice heat pack, but I have a few questions. What fabric should you use? Are they safe for children? How long do you microwave them? I wanted to make them for my nephews for Christmas, who are both just under two years old. I worry about them chewing on them. I wanted to make a 2-D pattern of an animal. Any good suggestions on shapes or cut outs to use?

Kayc from Rochester, MI

Flannel is great for making heatpacks and yes, they're safe for kids! Don't worry too much about them chewing on them. The worst that might happen is they'll swallow a few grains of rice, or get some of the rice wet... then all you have to do is replace the rice.

I've made several when my husband's cousins had their babies. I mixed a little lavender withthe rice.

It's easy to cut out a teddy bear shape.. or gingerbread man... keep the shape simple!

Then simply fill it with rice, stitch it shut and you're done. Microwave them for 1-2 minutes depending on the size of them. Practice in your own Microwave before you give them then you'll have a better idea of the time.

I've also made them our of the fleece everyone uses for blankets, old blankets, socks (patterened for looks... are great for necks!)

Have fun and enjoy!

hello! I have made these using mens hunting socks and buying the beans at Dollar General because they have large cheap bags.I have also used regular white tube socks.The hunting socks are my favorite.As for heating them,that's up to the individual.I heat mine for about 2 minutes and 30 seconds.My husband has actually put his in the freezer and then puts it on his neck.For using material...how about those nice soft print blankets.Just cut the size you want and sew it together.Good luck.

I have used oven mitts and 2 potholders sewn together and rice seems to work best as it delivers a moist heat. The insulation of the oven mitts/pads keeps the heat longer.

One caution with microwaving these. They get hottest in the center and you may not be able to tell how hot they are. A friend of mine had one for her husband. It was under the covers on his leg. He said it was way too hot and smelled smoke, but until he threw back the covers, they didn't know it was on fire! It burned through two of three blankets, a mattress pad, and into the mattress. They had to pour water on it to put it out. I have started heating mine by placing them on top of a stack of cast iron cookware that is on top of our woodstove. It never overheats that way. Stay safe!

I would like to make some homemade heat packs, but I would like to use felted wool. Does anyone know if this would pose a fire problem in the microwave? Also, I would like a lighter material than rice to use as a filling. Any suggestions? Perhaps millet?

Joyce from IN

Flax seed works very well.

Not sure about the felt though. I would use cotton or denim.

Wool is naturally a flame/fire retardent. Be sure you are using all wool. rice works, millet would work etc.. Good luck

I just made hand warmers with felted wool. I tried them in the microwave and it worked fine. My only suggestion is to wash the material before you make anything with it. My hand warmers smelled of dye after I microwaved them. You can use lentils as a filling and it works great!

you might try lentils. i suppose any grain would work.

Can you use oil such as eucalyptus in a homemade heat pack with rice?

Terri from Tacoma, WA

Yes you can use oil with your heat packs. What I did was use lavendar essential oils and poured just a drop of two directly on the rice. The scent lasted a long time and was more pronounced when placed in the microwave for warming. Remember, women who are pregnant or breastfeeding should never use essential oils on their skin.

Can horse oats be used as a filler for homemade magic heating bags?

By Brenda from Rycroft, Alberta, Canada