Browsing: Homemade Heat Packs

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Homemade Heat Packs

Therapeutic heat packs can be quite helpful to treating aching muscles and other ailments. You don't need to buy an expensive one at the store, when you can easily make one at home. This is a guide about homemade heat packs.

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

February 2, 2011 Flag

Warming Rice BagsThis simple little bag can help relieve anything from minor pain to major pain. Simple and easy to make and use and with the harshness of cold weather it can alleviate pain associated with arthritis. Consider making one for someone who needs pain relief. Makes a wonderful Christmas or birthday gift for young or old.

Approximate Time: 20 minutes

Instructions:

1. Cut a piece of material 15 inches long by 6 inches wide.
  2. Turn it to the wrong side and start stitching from one corner almost all the way around.
  3. Leave one small side open for stuffing. (I normally sew this twice to ensure the rice doesn't come out.)
  4. Turn the bag inside out and run a stitch through the middle. Leave about 3 inches so you can pour the rice in each tube like area.
  5. Start filling with dry rice and fill until about 3 inches are left at the top. Turn the ends of the top over and stitch it together.

Heating instructions:

With everything safety comes first. Only use a microwave to heat the bag. Do not put the microwave on longer than 3 minutes.

If hot to touch allow to cool or wrap in a towel. Apply to areas that hurt for no more than 20 minutes at a time. Doctors usually recommend 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off.

If you smell the rice you probably have the temperature too high. Take it out immediately.

These make wonderful gifts for older adults who suffer aches and pains regularly. They are much safer than a heating pad.

Rice bags can be made in any size or shape. Smaller ones are used for headaches and earaches. Larger ones are great for back, arm and leg pains. Some Ladies like them during their cycle to help relieve the cramps.

Enjoy making a small gift that can last a lifetime if taken care of.

Do NOT put in water. If it needs to be cleaned use a vacuum cleaner to clean it. If you are really obsessed with cleanliness put it in a pillowcase or make a cover just slightly bigger than bag and cover your bag.

You may want to make one in several sizes to keep on hand for yourself or family. Enjoy the comfort of warmth in painful areas.

By Gem from VA

April 4, 2008 Flag

How do you make herbal heat and cold packs with rice or feed corn? Does anyone know of easy patterns for these?

Beverly from Fall River Mills, CA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can you use oil such as eucalyptus as a scent?

I made my first rice hot/cold pack today and lo and behold, hubby hurt his shoulder. I heated the pack up and it was great. Except, it smelled like cooked rice. I wasn't sure I wanted to use any scent, because I wanted them for my migraines, and odors make me ill during a migraine. Will this odor go away in time or will it always smell like Uncle Ben is here?

Can you use reg.corn and or minute rice.

January 20, 2014 Flag

I use rice for my heat packs, but have found it breaks down too fast. I make these heat packs for my Chihuahuas. They are used a lot and heated up frequently.

By Karin

Try Barley. It's cheap, can be purchased in bulk, and you can even add things like some potpourri and give them a nice scent. I hope that helps.

I have used oatmeal tho I don't need a heat pack often. I do like the idea of rice with a bit of potpourri.

I use wheat. and it holds the heat for a long time. Been using one for years. Just don't over cook it. Microwave 1 to 1 1/2 mins.

June 2, 2013 Flag

How do you prepare the rice for use in hot packs?

By Bev

There is no preparation. Just add the rice and sew closed. some people use lavender in theirs and they just put the loose lavender in with the rice. These are wonderful items to use and to give as a gift.

Gem

You don't have to do anything to the rice. I put a sock in a jar and fold over the top of the sock over the mouth of a jar and just pour it in the sock. Then I tie a knot in the sock.

Don't use any kind of metal tie such as a hair elastic with a little metal piece on it or it will ruin the microwave. I always just tie a knot in the sock. Then microwave for about a minute or so.

They can get very hot so be careful if you are using it on someone else.

Blessings,

Robyn from Tennessee

May 23, 2012 Flag

This is a guide about making microwave heating pads. Microwave heating pads, often filled with rice, are used to soothe aches and pains.

Making a Microwave Heating Rice Pad

November 24, 2013 Flag

I want to know if I can use plastic beads to fill the bags?

By Elizabeth

I wouldn't, due to the fact plastic gives off dangerous toxins when heated and will burn you if too hot. I'd use rice. I have heard of some folks who use kitty litter. Dried beans can be used as well.

You can also use dried corn kernels. Smells like popcorn when you put it in the microwave.

I made one filled with barley. It's been great, used for about a year and a half now, on a daily basis!

November 10, 2013 Flag

My friend has frequent joint pain and I would like to make her a rice heating pad, but she does not have a microwave. Is there any other way to heat the rice heating pad? I think the pad would catch fire if she tried to heat it up in an oven! Any solutions out there? (She won't buy a microwave.)

By Linda W.

Much better to give her a small electric heating pad-try Amazon: one for less than $10-Sunbeam Cozy Spot. Will last many years!

Maybe putting the pad into a sealed tight zip lock bag, (make sure all the air is out of the bag) and float in a sink of very hot water? Might even weigh it down with something so the bag is submerged in the water for awhile. Don't know how well it might work, but it is a heat source.

Hair dryer?

November 27, 2010 Flag

I want to make my own heat packs as Christmas gifts. Some have posted that they use rice, others use flax, some use oatmeal, etc. The ingredients don't cook or go rancid, etc. after use?

Load More
Crafts MiscellaneousMay 26, 2013
An orange cat in heat.
How Often Can a Cat be in Heat?
Hot coffee mug on wood table.
Removing Heat Marks from Furniture
Watering Flowers
Helping Your Garden Beat The Heat
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 23, 2016 at 12:21:49 AM on 10.0.2.68 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.