Homemade Heat Packs?

Can I use silica gel beads as filling for a microwavable heat pack? Or, I've heard of glycerin beads, but can't locate them. Any ideas?

By vcates from South Jordan, UT

I've never heard of silica gel beads or glycerin beads being used in making a microwavable heat pack. I have a microwavable heat pack and it is filled with white rice.

I was also going to say to use rice. I would think it wouldn't be safe to microwave the silica beads and probably not the glycerin ones either.

You can use dried beans as well.

Hi there! We use men's tube socks or women's knee high socks for heat packs (one of a pair that remains with no holes or tears) and fill with dried white or brown rice or dried barley.

Works like a charm and if the sock happens to rip, we save as much rice or barley as possible, boil it up and add it to our dogs' food before starting all over with another stray sock. Can't get much thriftier than that! :) Good luck!

ew the poor dog, that cant be healthy. just reuse the grain for next one?

Cat Litter made only with Silica Gel Beads

I've been adding silica beads to my rice socks for years. They work awesome-ly. They heat up well in the microwave, are roughly the same size as rice, and they keep the moisture in the rice from making the socks smell (as the silica is reset when you microwave it).

I worked at a place that collected several hundred packets a day and I took them all so I've come up with a few ways of using them that I've never seen written down anywhere. Using them in sock heating packs is at the top of that list along with seed saving, shoe stank and the tool box.

In These Pages
Crafts AdviceApril 3, 2011
🐰
🍀
🌻
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf126288.tip.html