Making Microwavable Heating Pads

I plan to make small cloth heating pads out of left over material and warm them up in the microwave. Does any one have any ideas on what to put in it to hold the heat?

Raw rice is a very common filler.

My aunt made me some and filled it not only with rice and beans but really fragrant herbs so that every time you nuke it it smells really good

you are supposed to wet it a bit before nuking it

here are other instructions
www.diynatural.com/.../
www.littlehouseliving.com/homemade-hand-warmers.html
www.instructables.com/.../

I have been making these for years for craft shows....I use fleece material and put raw white rice in them and one of the favorite things to also add was some broken up cinnamon sticks...crunch them up about 1 stick per bag...one thing about using fleece you get a moist heat....I make my in a square about 8 inches by 8 inches, some long ones 6 inches wide and 18 inches long, and I make some hand ones 4 inches by 4 inches....

Thank you for your answers BUT I do not like the rice idea, it seems to make the materiel moist and I seem to smell the rice. Does any one have any other ideas ??

I like the corn pads. I forget the official name for the corn, you usually find it at feed stores. Indian corn maybe....the brain is a terrible thing to lose and I am not finding the name in Google.

You do have to "sterilize it first". I am sure there is a oven method, but 2 minutes (watch carefully as every microwave is different) in the microwave (just regular not high or low just the middle range--or like my micro ONLY level) with a damp towel on top seems to work best. Toss any if they crack or get weirdly wrinkled.

Let it cool (at least an hour), then you can fill the bags. I like the smell better than the rice ones. I keep mine in the freezer all the time and use it for cold mostly. But, if needed for heat, I do 1 1/2 to 2 minutes in the micro to get it warm. Sometimes if it doesn't feel warm enough, I flip it over and do another 30-45 seconds. Never leave them unattended in the micro!

I have one that has lasted going on 10 years. I open it up periodically, dump the corn into a bowl, fish out any weird ones, wash the bag (a fleece bag), and then stitch it back up.

Hope you like these kind as much as I do.

Due to the smell of the rice, you can add lavender oil or any oil scent you may have.

I think it is called "feed" corn. We bought some at Wilco for making bags for a cornhole game. It's a little different looking than popcorn.

There are not too many choices other than rice, beans or corn.

Most people say the corn lasts longer without going "smelly' or having to be changed.
You have to use clean corn from either a farm/feed or a pet store will usually have this. You will only need a few cups according to how many you plan to make.

There is a little information on the Internet but sites are more about using rice or beans.

www.mainewarmers.com/.../

Tip: Be sure to use cotton thread.

Health & Beauty Home RemediesJanuary 31, 2019
🌻
🎃
🎂