Homemade Mechanic's Hand Cleaner

Category Cleaning
Homemade Mechanic's Hand Cleaner
Grease and oil make cleaning hands after a mechanical project a challenge. This guide is about homemade mechanic's hand cleaner.

I'm posting a simple, economical, and very effective formula for mechanic's hand cleaner.

Mix about a tablespoon of washing up liquid, (or what Americans call "dish soap"), such as "Dawn", and a tablespoon of corn meal, or grits". Add just enough water to make it "useable". Exact proportions are not crucial.

Smashing good results. :O)

By GrreatBigBear

Thanks for the recipe, sounds great. But just to clarify, there is a big difference between corn meal and grits. Corn meal is finely ground corn, similar to flour. Grits are made from Hominy and are more like a hot cereal (similar to oatmeal or porridge but "grittier", with a small, firmer grain than oatmeal.)

Thanks to "bailegirl" for clarifying grits for those others out there who have never delighted in this food of the South. I might add that there is a coarse-ground cornmeal that may work for the purpose and wouldn't use up grits. Also, in all too many parts of the country, grits are non-existent in stores. Just ask a salesperson there and watch their face! CayC from FL

My hon is a mechanic what he does he uses cheap soap dish and salt, and rub hands together

magic he's got beautiful, hand, clean, no more oil. It works I have seen it.

I don't have exact amounts, but mix sugar (yes, regular sugar its gritty and don't burn in cuts or busted knuckles), olive oil (helps with dryness and soaks in better than lotions), and dawn dishwashing liquid (degreaser). I just mix all together in plastic container with lid and my husband just scoops some out, rubs it over hands, and rinses.

How long does this last? Does it need to be refrigerated?

Does anyone know how to make the GOOP mechanics use to clean their hands with?

Betty from Middletown, NY

Mix equal parts of sodium laurel ether sulphate with odorless kerosene.

Don't know how to make the exact goop, but have had a lot of success with this-- first apply some inexpensive greasy lotion or oil to hands and rub in before washing; the lotion/oil will help loosen the grime so that it washes away easier. It might take more than one "lotion/soap" process--especially around cuticles. Using a brush is also helpful.

It isn't the soft Goop; but I mix finely grated soap with powdered borax to wash my hands with after gardening; and it does a really good job. You wet your hands, add some of the powder (I keep it in an old shaker jar) and scrub your hands together. The borax adds grit for abrasive cleaning. I have been shocked at some of the grime this can get off! I don't know if you could add borax to liquid soap without it dissolving?

Another solution, though one less popular, is hand-washing dishes! I have yet to see dirty hands come back out of the dishwater.

I used to work on cars and I would use liquid dishsoap and powdered laundry soap mixed together. Works great.

To the man from South Africa -- please be more specific about quantities of each ingredient. Your formula is close to one used where I worked years ago. They used water, oxalic acid, and kerosene. Would you or anyone know the portions/quantities of each, and the mixing procedure? This was a top-grade hand soap for cleaning grease, carbon oil stains and tar, and it was water soluble.

I tried using this but it wasn't clean as I wish it to be. Now I use Power Cleanse Hand Cleaner With Lanolin. I get it from Texas Refinery Coatings btw.

How can I make hand cleaner, the grit type for grease and grime? I want to make it for resale purposes.

By Willy

Find a recipe you likr for liquid soap online, they are several, and then just add 1/4 cup powdered pumice to each gallon. To can buy the powdered pumice from many online soap making suppliers.

Use Dawn dish detergent and some sugar. Your hands will be nice and clean AND exfoliated.

I would like to know how to make a hand cleaning cream or gel to remove oil and grease, suitable for a motor mechanics workshop. What ingredients and quantities of each?

By ROCCO from Howick, South Africa