BerriesGardening

Homemade Strawberry Collars

Strawberries love lots of water. At the wrong place and at the wrong time, it can cause a proliferation of the Mycosphaerella fragariae fungus which can ruin a crop and do serious damage to the plant. The plants usually recover, but the harvest can be lost.

Water splashed on the leaves provides a suitable environment for this fungus, particularly in hot weather. It can quickly spread from one plant to the entire crop. When watering strawberries, every effort should be made to avoid wetting the leaves.

Lower leaves and many of the strawberries will naturally come in direct contact with the soil. For the small garden, it is important that this not be allowed to happen as it can introduce the fungus to the plant.

Rainfall can beat the lower leaves and strawberries to the ground. I have tried several methods to keep these leaves and berries off the soil, including various mulches. I've come up with a cheap and effective method to help prevent contamination; a plastic mesh pot scrubber and a couple of plastic grocery bags.

The technique is so simple, I won't bother with 'how to' pictures. I bought a bag of scrubbers from Dollar Tree, 6-8 to a bag. I cut the 'gathering' string at the top of each and unrolled the scrubbers, much as you would a nylon hose. The inside end is already tied.

I gathered the 'tube' to the inside end, so as to make inserting one plastic bag, easy. Then, I inserted another bag, shaping them into a uniform tube. The free end is secured with a twist tie.

Then I placed the tube around the base of the plant, making sure that all berries and leaves are gathered up off the soil. With another twist tie, I joined the two ends of the tube together and secured them with a good twist.

This will prevent any contact between berries, leaves, and the soil. Rainfall can quickly drain away. This should also make it easier to water the plants without wetting the leaves.

Last year, I gave all my strawberries to my sister. She put them in her freezer. I never did get down there to make the strawberry shortcake we had planned. This year I'm going to make a few strawberry daiquiris. It will be my first time with fresh picked berries. Yes!

I believe this solution could really be shown as "thinking out of the box" - sounds easy and inexpensive.

I haven't grown strawberries for many years and I used one of those strawberry clay pots. It was beautiful but did not really produce very many strawberries. Maybe I will try again.

Thanks for this tip as it would be heart breaking to plant and then get this fungus...

Betty

The two I grow are Earli-glo and Allstar. Both bear heavily.

I now have these names in my "book". It is always better to gain knowledge from a success story.

They're beginning to bear!

How nice! - I guess I must be a little nuts because I think I love plants and animals more than I do most people.

You must have someone to share with - besides your sister?

I don't know why I see some of these replies as late as I do. I use to get notifications, regularly. Maybe I need to check my settings, again.

To answer your question. I gladly share with anyone who is appreciative. To answer a question you did not ask, There is no 'significant other' in my life.

I will try this as I have had difficulty with the soil issue as well as slugs. . I see that you are in either a garden box or raised bed with bird netting. Good idea as well -- I have 200 plants. I've got to think your ideas thru--