Homemade Vegetable Trellises

Does anyone have any ideas on making homemade trellises for the veggies to climb up in my garden?

By Linda from Brighton, MI

To celebrate the new year we are giving away $200 in Amazon gift cards for people who answer questions on ThriftyFun in January! Click here to find out more...

A good resource for ideas is http://www.motherearthnews.com/ . Look in their archives for trellises and other kinds of plant supports. They will give you instructions plus photos for many different kinds, from plain to fancy.

Put some posts in your garden - they can be store bought dowels, or bamboo, or old broom handles, just whatever you want to use. Tie string, twine, or rope horizontally between the posts. Then tie strings all along the horizontal piece to hang vertically down to the ground - you can stake them or put rocks on top to keep them straight. Train your veggies to grow up these strings. Of course, this is not pretty, it is just practical and cheap.

I used 2 small iron rebars and sunk them in the ground about half way. I then used some electrical conduit cut to the height I wanted the trellis to be. Add a cross piece and 2 elbows and you have a frame from conduit that sure looks different.Just slip it over the rebar and you've got your frame. If I have netting I use it with zip ties. If not, twine from a stake in the ground to the top of the conduit and down again. Works fine for my cucumbers and pole beans.

Make a small fence for them to grow on. I took a couple of pieces of pipe and drove them into the ground about 6' apart and tied a old piece of mesh fence to them with plastic zip ties. You could use steel fence post and chain link fence also.

For my cucumbers and peas I used tomato cages.

Advice for Making Trellises
Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJune 3, 2011
Mashed potatoes with vegetables.
Vegetable Mashed Potato Recipes
Growing Bean Vine Crops
Growing Vine Crops
A bowl of fresh vegetable soup.
Making Vegetable Broth
Watering plants in a vegetable garden.
Troubleshooting Your Vegetable Garden
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 16, 2017 at 2:29:03 PM on 10.0.1.21 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.