Homemade Weight Loss Dog Food Recipes

An overweight dog.
Specialty dog foods can be hard on your budget. This is a guide about homemade weight loss dog food recipes.

I have a dog that is overweight and the vet tries to get me to use an expensive prescription food that I don't feel is necessary. Does anyone out there have any suggestions on what I might give her to help her lose weight?

Cosy from Columbia, SC

I was advised to give my dog brown rice mixed in his food. It is very filling and good for them. I halved his canned food and filled him up with the rice and he loved it. He lost the weight and was much happier!

My 7 yr. old yorkie is about 2#'s over-weight. She only gets 1/4 cup dry- premium weight loss food per day and low fat high protein treats 2x's per day. She has a unusually huge belly (bloated) help I've tried everything. Thinking of home made food. She acts like shes starving all the time. She also has a small trachea and does a lot of choking so we can't exercise like I want. Help? Sunni and Robin- robin4908 AT aol.com

What kind of portions should i feel my 8# yorkie. She's at least 2#'s overweight. Dry food bag (blue buffalo weight control) recommends 1/2 cup per day, which is not very much but shes little (except for her belly). Should I use the same measurement for homemade food? I started giving her brown rice and veggies. 1/4 cup 2 x's a day. She still acts like she's starving with a Buddha belly! Any suggestions? Robin and Sunni

My three year old Pomeranian is overweight. She will not eat any canned dog food and hardly the dry. We give her chicken, burger meat, and sometimes pork when we make it, for dinner. What can I get for her to help get rid of the weight? She is also on meds from the vet for allergies which adds to the weight gain. Thanks.

By Elaine

Any pet owner should feed their pet the intended diet from day one. You're pet might've resisted in the beginning but it would've adapted. Your dog is not only over weight, it's most likely highly unbalanced nutritionally. I'm assuming you cook the meat before feeding too (not recommended).

You have 2 choices:

1: Force it onto a good dog food (wet or dry). It'll be a struggle for both of you at best for at least a couple of weeks but it'll be worth it in the end. Start off by starving it for a good 12 hours. Now offer it a bowl of dog food with a little bit of the original meat that it likes.

What I'd do is hold the meat up to it's nose so it knows it's accepted food then place it in the bowl of dog food. Only give it a little meat so it's appetite gets going but not enough to satisfy. Despite what crying or moaning, don't give it for more meat. If it walks away after eating the meat and not the dog food, wait until the next meal and do the same. Your small portions will ensure your dog doesn't starve to death (plus it'll lose weight) for the time being while at the same time, it'll start to associate the smell of the new dog food with meal time.

Your dog will eat the dog food after a few meals. When you notice it starting to eat the dog food, reduce the meat at each meal. After a few days or a week, only give it dog food. It will adapt.

2: You can continue feeding it meat like you are but go online and find a healthy proportion guide to ensure your dog's health. You might find one that says like 80 percent meat, 10 percent organs, and so on.

Make sure it's a lean formula so your dog loses weight. If you haven't been feeding you dog organs and muscles, there's a chance it won't eat that stuff. (You must make sure your dog eats everything in the bowl so that the diet is complete.) If that's so, you'll have to mince everything up into a meat mixture so it has no choice but to eat everything. Sprinkling tuna juice or gravy on the whole thing the first few meals might help.

Once a week, go to a cheap Asian grocery store and buy a beef bone (Asian grocery stores sell them for a dollar or 2 per bag). Go home, boil them up for a couple hours so the bone marrow becomes softer and give it to your dog. It'll love it for sure and it'll help a lot with nutrition.

I suggest you go with option 1. I've tried option 2 before. It's too much work and you most likely have to invest in vitamins and stuff like that to compensate. Good store bought dog food like Ajisen, Orijen, or Science Diet for example will let your dog live a long life. A dog that lived for 8 years on dog chow could've easily lived until 10 or 11 at least if it was fed a GOOD dog food. Brand is totally up to you.

Stop giving it scraps. It'll wait for scraps to fight its hunger instead of giving into the new diet.

Also, exercise. It needs more. If you already take it for walks, stick it on the tread mill for 15 minutes a day if you have one. If you don't, buy a laser pointer and get it to chase it for 15 minutes a day while you're watching tv or something.

Feeding good food to your pet might cost a little more now but you'll save a bundle on trips to the vet/surgeries, it'll be healthier, look healthier and it'll be around for much longer for you to love.

My dogs eat regular dog food for the most part, but I sometimes feed them baked potato, which the point of my saying that is they will eat vegetables. I'd say less meat, more veggies and other grains... and control her food! You do not have to keep a bowl full of food always handy for her to eat. You can put the food out once or twice a day in controlled amounts. Unless she goes out and kills something (smile) or learns to shop for food, that's that! (smile)

Hi there,

I also got my dog to lose a lot of weight. She's a Labrador.

Dog food is terrible for dogs, its got no nutrition in it, like eating cardboard. The minute you stop feeding it, you will see improvement with the allergies. Feed veggies together with chicken, necks, giblets, liver, also shin with the marrow bone in it, liver from any animal together with scrambled egg, plain yoghurt, and other organ meats like heart if you can get it. You can feed raw or cooked. If you cook it in your slow cooker you can decant and freeze. Any kind of starch is unnecessary for dogs, just makes them fat. So easy on the pumpkin, squash, potatoes etc. The more meat the better. Let him eat the marrow out of the shin bone, its good for him and wilk clean his teeth. Raw bones will not harm your doggie, cooked bones you should not feed. There are wonderful sites for feeding naturally and it really helps.

I have an American Bulldog that is overweight. (171 pounds) He is an inside dog and has become very lazy. This has only become an issue within the past year, he's now 7 years old. Our vet warned us during our last visit that he won't be with us much longer if we don't get his weight under control. I know it's our fault as a family because we give him table food, but he's always been treated as an equal family member. Our family as a whole will be crushed. He's a child to my wife and I and a brother/sister to our kids! I'm thinking about making his dog food myself as I really don't trust the dog food companies, really to them it's all about profit not his health. Any advice that I can get would be helpful.

Here is one recipe for cooked dog food:

1. In a very large pan add the 10 pounds ground beef.

2.Add the cooled cooked white rice.

3.Blend 18 eggs in a blender with shells then ad to mix.

4.Mix well and completely with your hands until all the ingredients are thoroughly combined.

5.Make about 6 or seven meat loafs and set on pans.

6.Preheat oven to 350 F.

7.Cook meat loafs for about 1 hour or until done.

I got it from homemadedogfood.com.

Here are a couple of recipes for weight control dog food. Keep in mind your dog also needs exercise, and give regular meals only- table scraps and treats MUST stop.

https://www.spi  ss-recipes-dogs/

Most of us gain some weight as we get older and pups also fall into that category. Generally as your pet puts on weight they start slowing down on just "moving" and even less on what is called exercise. Generally the family doesn't really notice very much difference as the "baby" is still eating and still as lovable as ever - right?

One of my sons has 2 Chihuahuas and one of these slowly became "fat" and his vet told him he was killing his dog with love (food mainly and not enough exercise). It took drastic measures to make changes and this involved not just the dog but friends and family as well. he started out with a similar idea - he would only feed his dog "healthy" food and that to most people meant "home cooking".

This phase did not last long as it was a LOT of trouble and the dogs did not like it very much either so everyone was worried. He talked to his vet - again - and the vet told him the names of several very healthy dog foods (that he did not sell) and instructed him to cut the table food down a little everyday until it totally disappeared. This whole ordeal was very hard to do as the doggie always appeared hungry to us but we persevered and it worked. Of course, we also slowly increased his exercise.

here is some Bulldog advice from one vet:

Choose a commercial dry dog food that has meat as the first ingredient, and avoid soy as an ingredient as many bulldogs become allergic to it over time. Do not free-feed your bulldog. Divide your adult bulldog's ration into two or more meals per day to reduce the chance of bloat. Provide your bulldog with a constant supply of fresh drinking water.

You may have the time to cook your bulldog healthy food and I would admire anyone who does so, but if not then maybe you can find a healthy store bought food and spend the extra time walking or playing with your pet. I did find a site that has done a study on different brands of food (just in case you need back up food):

https://herepup  erican-bulldogs/

Also some good ideas on weight loss:

http://www.peth  ight-and-why-its

Our son's Bernese Mt. Dog has been spoiled since birth. She is now 12 and prefers to remain inside instead of venturing out for walks.
She is constantly panting. When she is taken out (bathroom breaks) her breathing becomes even more labored. Actually any exertion on her part causes her to breath rapidly.
I am hoping to find a healthy diet and exercise plan for an overweight older Bernese Mt. Dog. Any recommendation to turn her health around as far as feeding and exercise? TY!

By MGR from Atlanta, GA

After a vet check to ensure she isn't suffering a heart condition, start her off slowly - five minutes at her pace twice a day on the lead. Work up to a half-hour twice daily if possible, and be sure to try to interest her in games like fetch, chase, tug-of-war.

The vet will have other suggestions but the above is a start. I actually empathise with her, lol! I used to live in Cherokee county, worked in Alpharetta, and there were all those hot-humid Southern days you couldn't get ME out in that mess to exercise!

Since moving to the UK in late 2010 I've lost a good bit of weight because it's just not as hot here as it was back in the American Deep South:)

Good luck, she's a beauty but yes, she does need some, erm, weight management:)

We have a Golden Retriever who is overweight by 8 lbs. I see postings about adding rice and veggies, etc. However, it doesn't tell me how much of each. Any clarification would be helpful.

By dogandcatfriendly

Okay! First of all - and I am not an animal professional, but I am a life long animal pet parent - 8 pounds above average in a Golden is not cause for alarm! (I currently have English Mastiffs, so I "get" the large and huge breed dog issues!)

May I respectfully advise that you simply use common sense and apply human attitudes in a sensible diet for your fur kid? My dogs love, love, love most raw vegetables (they wait patiently as we harvest the garden, hoping for a tomato, half of a cucumber, or a handful of green beans) and we only feed them rice when they get sick and need to move to a bland diet for recovery.

Maybe you might want to consider reducing the processed dog food by a quarter cup or so a day, but use raw veggies before rice during healthy times. And again, 8 pounds "overweight" is quite a subjective judgement. Just toss the fur kid an extra baby carrot or those leftover green peas from supper! Veggies won't make them gain excessive weight! Good Luck!

Give your Golden a hug from me and don't sweat the small stuff! Okay?

My dog, Honeybear, is a 13 year old Chow Lab mix. The vet wants her to lose 5 kilos; she is 22 kilos. Can anyone please help with home made food recipe for her?

By Daphne

I would suggest cutting back on what she eats by as much as 1/2 and add the difference back in vegetables. Such as chopped carrots, green beans, sweet peas, zucchini, etc. Any low calorie vegetables or a mixture of them added; Apples, carrots, pears, etc make good "treats".

I feed a raw diet and used this method as recommended by the vet to successfully reduced my mini poodle to a normal weight. She is hypothyroid, so it is difficult to lose weight but this did work for us.