House Training a New Puppy In 10 Days

This is a tip for new puppy owners. They are adorable but the pee pee can strain an otherwise great relationship. This is what we do with our very young pups. First of all love them. Dogs will try very hard to please. Set aside 10 days to house train your pup.

First of all get a large box with high sides. Put a very comfy blanket or other soft bedding and place it in the box. Find a wind up clock and a hot water bottle. The clock sounds like a heartbeat and the warmth from the hot water bottle is soothing to the puppy. Tuck them both under the bedding. Now, for the next 10 days, the puppy spends the majority of his/her time in the box.

When he comes out he is taken directly out on the grass so the pup will become accustomed to going pee and poo on the grass. Lots of praise really helps. Now you can have a playtime for a while inside or outside. Remember to take puppy back out on the grass before placing him back in the box. It is your choice to feed the pup inside or outside of the box but I prefer a large box so puppy can eat or drink without stress for you and the pup. Keep this up for 10 days and you will have a house trained puppy. It has always worked for us.

By Bev

Answers:

House Training a New Puppy In 10 Days

I am a 60 year old lady who just got a 6 week old Pit Puppy. She is adorable, but boy it is like having a baby again. In the past, I have had Pekingese dogs, so this is a new experiment for me. If anyone have an idea as to train a Pit, I woul like to know.I also have 4 cats!
(04/24/2005)

By Evy

House Training a New Puppy In 10 Days

Evy, i am the owner of a half pit half Neapolitan mastiff. She is a very very smart dog. One thing I can say is lots and lots of praise when your puppy does something right. But what has worked for us is always talking to her like a person and not a dog. Don't talk to her like a baby when you want her to listen to you. Give her commands and when she does bad, scold, but you don't have to beat her. Pits can be very very loving and they will always be very protective of you. You need to have a good medium between letting people in your family get used to her and let her get used to them. If you want a guard dog, don't let anyone other than your family pet her or give her treats or anything. But be very consistent in everything you do with her...just like a child. Talk to her like a person, it will take time, but when she is older (mine is 3 1/2) she will listen like you won't believe. Hope this helps. Good luck! (07/06/2005)

By Christy

litter box training a pug puppy

We paper box train our pug. She is 8 weeks old. Right when she wakes up, 8 minutes after she eats and after she plays, we put her in the box and say, "go potty." We know she understands, cause she did it the first time, then the next day she went the first 3 times by herself. After she goes we say. "Good snuggles. Give me kisses." (01/21/2007)

By blkpug

litter box training a pug puppy

House Training a Puppy, Photo of a labrador retriever puppy.
House Training a Puppy
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy
🎉
🎄