House Training a Puppy

I had two 8 weeks old puppies to house train at the same time. I took them outside when they woke up, after they played, after they ate, and before they went to bed. During the day I got them on my schedule; when I went to the bathroom then they went to the bathroom (outside of course).

I did not crate the puppies. I gave them a large playpen. I protected the rug with plastic sheeting, and covered the plastic with a old bed sheet or blanket. I made sure their playpen was always clean. If they peed or pooped away from their training pads, I washed all their bedding.

One day I had to wash all their bedding six times, but it was worth it, because now these puppies are seven years old. They are prissy and love clean linen. I placed the playpen gate to face the slider door. They quickly learned that the slider would let them go outside.

It is important to remember, when house training a puppy, to give him his own doggie door. A puppy cannot hold his bladder, and he will quickly learn where his door is. Once the puppy starts looking for his door, you will know you have succeeded. Before my girls were five months old, they were house broken, and free to run around the house.

By Celia from Yorba Linda, CA

House Training a Puppy, Photo of a labrador retriever puppy.
House Training a Puppy
House Training a Pit Bull
House Training a Pit Bull Puppy
Boxer puppy chewing on a plastic bone.
Training a Boxer Puppy
Pug looking guilty.
Training a Dog to Poop on a Training Pad
Pit Bull Puppy
Training a Pit Bull Puppy