House Training a Shih Tzu

I have 2 Shih Tzus, a 6 pound female age 1 and a male age 10 months. I am having potty training troubles and I am getting discouraged with them. The female was doing great, then took a turn for the worse. She is very finicky about the weather, but I do make her go outside. If I use pee pee pads inside she uses these no problem, but as far as going outside she will, but she still has accidents in the house. The male is a little better than the female.

The female is also starting to show some food aggression. I have a daycare in my home, which the puppies were introduced to when I first got them. I wonder if this now bothers the dogs, the female especially. Any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated. The dogs can go for days without going in the house then all of a sudden they start up again with no warning. Please help!

Janet from Medford, MA

House Training a Shih Tzu

I have a Shih Tzu, Pooh (cross bred with a Poodle), and she took a really long time to house train. Mostly, it was a control issue, with her being aggressive. The biggest thing with her was to be consistent, to the minute, with potty times. Now, when we are not going to be available for walks, she either gets to stay on the porch or in a bedroom with puppy pads. She's pretty good (as long as we don't make her mad, then she pees the floor on purpose). (02/10/2009)

House Training a Shih Tzu

My Shi Tzu is generally quite good with going potty after she finishes, she makes a big show of it and races around all pleased with herself! Except when it rains or the ground is wet or when she just wants more attention, then she pees on the floor mats, which is dreadful. I found housebreaking her very difficult. (11/01/2009)

By Kyaah!

my 6 month old male shih Tzu has been great but fortunately we have a patio door in the lounge which opens up to an enclosed garden.It didn't stop him peeing and pooping everywhere when we got him home but I recon he sussed out what was what.I recon from when we got him home until the penny dropped was about 2 months.We put a pad down at the patio at night and when he needs to he uses that..great we dog with a great nature.

Shih Tzu laying on belly with chin on the ground looking at the camera.
House Training a Shih Tzu
pug in a crate
Crate Training a Dog
Shih Tzu
Shih Tzu Breed Information and Photos
closeup of puppy
Shih Tzu Mix Photos
agility training for your dog
Agility Training for Your Dog