Housebreaking Older Dogs

I have three dogs. The one that is just over two years is a male. The one that is just under two years is a female. I also have a another male who is just 8 months, their puppy. The oldest male is completely house broken, the other two are not at all.

They get three walks a day each between 30 minutes and a hour long at the same time every day, and they always go while they are out. They never go in the house while I'm there. But every day while I am at work and every night while I sleep they go in the house.

I understand that the puppy might still be too young to wait that long but, my female is too old to not be house broken. My floor is being destroyed and I am losing my mind. I can not punish them because I never catch them in the act and even if I do they just start going some where else. People tell me what am I doing wrong?

AB from Toronto, Ontario

Answers:

Housebreaking Older Dogs

I would take to vet to make sure they don't have urinary tract infection. Sometimes that is the only way to tell you they are sick. Reward only for good behavior and remove water at night. (03/04/2009)

By Cosy

Housebreaking Older Dogs

The idea of installing a cowbell on the "out door" is intriguing, but you could probably get one cheaper at any farm supply store. When I read the original post, my first thought was "doggie revenge". Dogs, like children, feel abandoned when you leave them for extended periods for any reason including sleep.

Our 18-month-old American Pit didn't potty or worse, she chewed, but the concept is the same. We solved the issue by confining her to one room any time we both leave. Oddly enough, as long as one of us is here, she doesn't manifest the behavior.

Often, all your pets need is a little extra TLC. You might consider spending fifteen extra minutes with your dogs than usual, if you have the time and energy. That might help, if it doesn't solve the problem. Hope I've said something to help. (03/04/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Housebreaking Older Dogs

You could give a job to a neighborhood young person and ask them to walk your dogs in the middle of the day or soon as they get home from school. Arrange for a key, and have them leave the key with you at night if not leaving it with them all week. (03/04/2009)

By kimhis

Housebreaking Older Dogs

I agree with the dog trainer. I raise boxers and sometimes take in foster dogs that have no training. Consistency is always the answer. I'm a firm believer of putting my dogs in their crates when I'm away or sleeping (except my 3 yr old who knows the rules). Crates can be pricey so check your local "Good Will" or "Salvation Army", I have found them there for $15.
Good luck. (03/05/2009)

By boxergirl76

Housebreaking Older Dogs

I recommend OUT for your floors. I have found it at Walmart and Kmart. I takes the smell of urine out of old and new accidents, and will also remove the stains from carpets. My friend had a male cat that was marking in all the corners of her house. She was ready to replace all her carpet. I took a bottle of this over there and one treatment left her house free of the smell. It is not just a cover up, although it has a very pleasant smell, it really does neutralize it. (03/05/2009)

By boxergirl76

Housebreaking Older Dogs
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
Older Cat
Moving an Older Cat
Cat Food
Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?
A dog sitting in a garden.
Keeping Dogs Out of Your Garden
🎄