Is Cat Food OK for Dogs?

Category Food
Cats and dogs have different nutritional needs, but sometimes dogs enjoy cat food. This page is about whether cat food is OK for dogs?

My Rat Terrier likes cat food better than dog food. Could someone tell me if it's bad for her? I would like to feed her dry dog food, but she won't eat it. Any suggestions?

Catbuttons from KS

Answers

Best Answer

According to my vet, cat food has more calories than dog food and that's why they like it. Most terriers are pretty hyper to begin with, so they probably burn the calories off better than other dogs; at least our Jack Russell Terrier does. What you might try is to mix the cat food with the dog food for a couple of weeks, then slowly wean the dog off the cat food - using less each week - until he's completely off the food.

Our dog would eat the cat food, but I keep it on top of the clothes dryer. The dog food stays on the kitchen floor and many times the two cats will help themselves to the dog food too.

By Ellie (Guest Post)
Best Answer

My understanding is it's the reverse. Cats should not be fed dog food, which some are tempted to buy because dog food is often cheaper. Cats have more complex needs than dogs, and dog food doesn't give them the nutrients they need. Dogs can eat cat food on an emergency basis, but should not be fed it as a regular thing.

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

A lot of people use treats for dog training these days. A handy and convenient treat to use is dry cat food. The pieces are small, which prevents over feeding your dog. They are dry, so they are nice to put in a pocket for outdoor training. They seem to be much more tasty than dog kibble (I have never tasted them to find out!), but dogs seem to find them a lot more exciting as a reward.

By Kathy from Superior, WI

Comment Like this photo? 3

Pets FoodApril 25, 2013
🌻
😷
🐛
📓
😎
https://www.thriftyfun.com/tf40996268.tip.html