How Do I Get My Toddler to Take Medicine?

How can I administer bad tasting medicine to my toddler? Any tricks?

By Cindy from IN

Answers:

My mother always mixed it in with a bit of juice. She would also have us drink the medicine and then let us have a glass of juice afterwards. This works if the medicine in a liquid. If it is a tablet or capsule be sure to check that the medicine is safe to crush up. Some tabs or capsules are time released and crushing them up may do more harm then good. (07/01/2010)

By abrupt_silence

Our doctors recommended mixing medicine or any kind of liquid pain reliever for kids in juice, when having problems to get them to take it. My parents always gave us honey with the tablet or pill. So that when I swallowed the honey the pill would go with it. Depending on the flavor of the medicine I've also heard of people putting it in applesauce. Hope this helps. Been there, it's tough! (07/01/2010)

By morbetomommy

I'm ashamed to admit that I used bribery. If my son downed his foul tasting medicine, I had a stash of chocolate coins in the freezer and I'd give him one. He only got the special coins if he had to take medicine. (07/02/2010)

By iterpy

Our pharmacist told us that mixing the medicine with juice does not change the strength of the medicine at all, so go ahead and add it to their favorite drink (07/02/2010)

By PICO

Our pediatrician told us to mix it in Pepsi. Worked like a charm. You can also have Walgreen's add different kinds of flavors for a couple of dollars. (07/03/2010)

By mcdolemom

Depends on how bad it tastes. Have you tried it? Does it just taste bad, or does it also leave a bad aftertaste? When my son was 2, he had to take prednisone as part of his cancer treatment, man, that is nasty stuff and leaves a horrible aftertaste that doesn't go away(I tasted it with the tip of my tongue)! The only way I found to give it to him was to crush it and mix it with a spoon of chocolate syrup which hides the initial bad taste, followed by a fast couple of swallows of pepsi (or other strong soda), which helped neutralize the aftertaste. I absolutely hated giving my toddler soda, but he had to have the prednisone. (07/03/2010)

By lyonpridej

My son would projectile vomit any liquid medication, so from a very early age we taught him how to swallow medication in a tablet/capsule form. When he was still really little we used a tiny syringe which we obtained from the pharmacy, cradled him and squished it into the side of his mouth. This bypassed some taste buds and he often swallowed it before even realising! When a bit older, but still prenegotiation age, we too, used the bribery trick, using very small chewy sweets, instead of another fluid. Two sweeties generate a lot of taste-masking saliva and were always seen as a treat. (07/15/2010)

By LTK

Medicine Dropper
Uses for Medicine Droppers
Empty Pill Bottles
Craft Ideas for Used Medicine or Pill Bottles
Saving Money on Medicine
Saving Money on Medicine
Organized Medicine Cabinet
Organizing a Medicine Cabinet
🎉
🎄