How do I dry rose petals for potpourri and sachets?

Can someone tell me how to dry rose petals for sachet and potpourri? I've also started making my own essential oils. Do I NOT dry the petals for the oils? How do I do that as well. The organic market that I frequent saves their flower petals from the flowers that are not quite up to snuff and sells them for crafts like this. I've told the management there that I appreciate them doing this. I wish all markets did this. This market is the first one I've ever seen that does it!

Jenny in KY

Answers:

My daughter bought a kit called Silica Gel Reusable Flower Drying Kit. I believe she got it at Wal Mart. (01/19/2005)

By jeangnome46

The easiest way to dry roses is to place them in a vase still on the stem and set the vase under a ceiling fan. I accidently found this one year when my husband gave me roses for Mothers Day. I put them in a vase and set them on the dining table, after a couple of days I noticed the water was not going down and when I touched the roses they were completely dry. They did not change color or shrivel, they looked exactly like they did when I put them in the vase. Now I make sure if I get flowers that the ceiling fan stays off until they die on their own. (02/14/2005)

By dawnmfh

Place rose petals on a microwave safe plate. Microwave at 1 minute intervals, checking after each minute. You can also do this by putting them in a microwave safe bowl but you will need to stir gently at one minute intervals. (02/15/2005)

By Jenny in KY

I have "sentimental potpourii"! Anytime I get flowers, I enjoy them while they are pretty and let them dry on their own. Once they start looking bad, I rip the petals of the flowers off the stems and place them in a decorative container. Not only do I still have my flowers that were given to me for that special occasion, I have potpourii to enjoy! I then place scented oils onto the petals and place them where I want them. (04/02/2007)

By Michelle