Drying Rose Petals

Category Floral
Dried rose petals are a lovely addition to your wedding or party plans, as well as, perfect for making potpourri or sachets. This is a guide about drying rose petals.

For all you brides or hopeless romantics, begin saving rose petals from your bridal bouquet and from any other bouquets your beloved gives you through the years. When your dear daughters marry, their flower girls can toss those rose petals passing on a legacy of love.

To dry, break or cut the rose bud or flower from the stem and lay on a paper plate in a single layer. Turn the flowers over several times over a few weeks so all surfaces are exposed to the air. Once completely dry place in a zip lock bag (failure to dry completely will result in moldy flowers). Store carefully so as not to crush.

By Diana from Prospect, KY

My daughter will be a bridesmaid at a friend's wedding later this year. The bride wants us to save rose petals for the guests to throw instead of confetti. How can I dry them without losing their color?

By Scottish Linda from Aberdeen, Scotland

Answers

Wow, that's going to be expensive. You can purchase Silica Gel at you local craft store and follow the directions. The good news is it is reuseable.

You can also throw birdseed and have nothing to clean up. Or, you can do bubbles that cost next to nothing. N-JOY

Does the bride know that if the rose petals get damp they will leave marks all over her dress? Better pray for really nice weather, or use bird seed, as suggested already.

You could buy silks (cheap dollar stores, etc) and take apart the roses. I have done this and it is nice. OR you could gather roses, I take and hang them upside down, then pluck the petals off when dry. Also have taken a cooling rack from baking and laid on a tray, lay the petals on these to air dry. AWAY from sun and moisture. A dark basement room? You want air to move around it to keep them from becoming moldy.

I also took the arrangements from m-i-l funeral and dried all bouquets as they disintegrated. I tossed them into the oven on slighting ON ONLY. I took all the flowers (Christmas funeral) and put into apothecary jars with tops and all my children got some of their grandma's flowers. Grandma did not like flowers so we used lots of Christmas greens, red and white carnations, other Christmas colors. So they are 'manly keep sakes"!

You can buy silk rose petals in a bag. I have used them for crafting, and they work well. I buy them at the dollar tree here, so you can get them inexpensively. Even if you buy them at the craft store, which would cost more, it would still be less expensive than the real ones. And I would worry that the real ones might crumble if not dried exactly right! Have fun with it!

I dry roses all the time. If you want the heads - hang upside down don't let them open all the way, if you only want the petals - pull them lay out on sheets hung from rafters or on flat baskets. They need air flow around them.

Depending on what colour the roses are will determine if you want to dry them or not .
You need a very very dry area with NO LIGHT
white roses generally dry to a cream - NO LIGHT

Yellow roses dry beautiful
Pinks & rose coloured generally dry well
Some reds will dry so dark they look black - not great effect for a wedding

Rosa rugosa has great smell and dries nice .. a dark rose red .
You will need an alternative if the weather is wet, muggy etc. Ria

Anonymous

Your daughter's friend certainly has expensive taste ;-) I agree with dollar store silk rose petals and bird seed and bubbles are lots of fun and look so cool in photographs of the bride and groom!

Can someone tell me the best way to dry individual rose petals that have fallen from the flower, to make potpourri? I would like to preserve the color if possible. And after the petals are dry, what are some good scents to add to the mixture?

Ellen from Dunn, NC

Answers

When your bouquets are nearly done for, use a rubber band to tie the stems together. Be careful, especially if they're roses - the thorns can hurt. Then hang them upside down to air dry - using a loop of the rubber band. When they are totally dry, seperate the petals from the stems. You can use a fragrance product from the craft/hobby store to add an scent. Follow the directions on the scent/oil you buy.

I've written about this before, but I simply must emphasize how wonderful it is to be able to have free potpourri that recycles, lasts a long time, looks good, and can be added to for free.

Barely able to afford the most needed freshener new cones solids from the dollar store , I watch them for about a week until they look nearly dried up, then remove the cone and pull off the residual freshener solid off it's plactic stem inside, which comes out sort of funky-shaped, but
dark in color. (I prefer the raspberry, citrus, cherry, or spices.)

I do two things with them after I let them dry . First I then place them in a freezer baggie and break them into pieces with a hammer.

For every single flower petal I have found, sorted or mixed, air-dried, saved in a med. Sized clear, disposable, plastic bakery container. I secondly add the pieces I broke. No mixing required, but when I find dried pods, juniper berries, tiny dried okras, dried avocado seeds. I add them to the mix creating a delightful, free, workable potpourri.

The fun comes when I find various containers for them ranging from extra large sea shells to unused covered candy dishes with the lids removed on dry days.

Granted, I must buy the dollar coned freshener for my pets' odors which are stronger than normal cooking odors, and are only in two rooms, but the fact that I can stretch the use of them, rather than to toss the dried up parts, eventually begins to smell very good with more pieces of dried freshener.

I try to keep colors matching fragrances, such as lighter oranges with citrus, or dark reds and greens with the berry fragrances.

Once in a while i will find curbside, on a box or bin, where someone tossed or set out a "spent" whole clear sack of potpourri, and that gives me a bigger and usually more colorful base with which to add my own simple mixture.

If I have an extra dollar or so at holiday sale times, I can often find bags of potpourri on sale for 75% off, nearly free to replenish whatever gets dusty after a year, still using some of the bottom parts/ pieces, discarding the dusty parts.

Note: I didn't care for perfumes or heavy fragrances, so I try to keep it as fresh smelling as possible. At one time I was adding citrus fruit peelings to a holiday potpourri only to find that it attracts flying insects, so I stopped with that idea, and by trial and error, I am satisfied with this simple program/craft. God bless you. : )

If You Just Want The Petals Dryed, Separate Them From The Stems. Place Them Evenly On Two To Three Layers Of Paper-Towels. Then Put A Few Books On Top. Wait 5-7 Days And Check Them. Go To You'r Local Hobby Store And You Can Buy Additional Fregrance Oils To Add. :)

I save all of my flowers that my hubby and son give me for special occasions and dry them. Roses and wild flowers. I leave them in the vases until they start to look bad and then pluck them off their stems and toss them in my collection bowl of poupourri! They cost nothing and everytime I look at them, I'm reminded that someone loves me very much!

Can someone tell me how to dry rose petals for sachet and potpourri? I've also started making my own essential oils. Do I NOT dry the petals for the oils? How do I do that as well. The organic market that I frequent saves their flower petals from the flowers that are not quite up to snuff and sells them for crafts like this. I've told the management there that I appreciate them doing this. I wish all markets did this. This market is the first one I've ever seen that does it!

Jenny in KY

Answers:

How do I dry rose petals for potpourri and sachets?

My daughter bought a kit called Silica Gel Reusable Flower Drying Kit. I believe she got it at Wal Mart. (01/19/2005)

By jeangnome46

The easiest way to dry roses is to place them in a vase still on the stem and set the vase under a ceiling fan. I accidently found this one year when my husband gave me roses for Mothers Day. I put them in a vase and set them on the dining table, after a couple of days I noticed the water was not going down and when I touched the roses they were completely dry. They did not change color or shrivel, they looked exactly like they did when I put them in the vase. Now I make sure if I get flowers that the ceiling fan stays off until they die on their own. (02/14/2005)

By dawnmfh

Place rose petals on a microwave safe plate. Microwave at 1 minute intervals, checking after each minute. You can also do this by putting them in a microwave safe bowl but you will need to stir gently at one minute intervals. (02/15/2005)

By Jenny in KY

I have "sentimental potpourii"! Anytime I get flowers, I enjoy them while they are pretty and let them dry on their own. Once they start looking bad, I rip the petals of the flowers off the stems and place them in a decorative container. Not only do I still have my flowers that were given to me for that special occasion, I have potpourii to enjoy! I then place scented oils onto the petals and place them where I want them. (04/02/2007)

By Michelle