How do I prevent cake frosting from melting?

I will be baking a cake for an outdoor baby shower in three weeks, which puts the date in the middle of August. Even though I live in NH the weather here has been hot and very humid. How do I prevent the frosting (icing) from melting at the shower?

I use a standard buttercream frosting, and I plan on refrigerating the cake before the shower. Is there anything else I can do to prevent the frosting from melting off the cake? Should I use a different kind of frosting? Please help me if you can.

Karen in NH

Answers:

Just a thought, can the cake be served partially frozen? I never tried this but maybe it may help.
(07/21/2005)

By mkymlp

Many years ago, I thought if it were a butter cream frosting, I had to use butter. The first time I did it, the frosting melted. I've used margarine ever since and haven't had that problem. (07/21/2005)

By MamaJude

There are plates that are filled with a coolant and placed in the freezer. Meant to keep things like shrimp cocktail safe in the heat. Might work for you, but only if the cake is in the shade. (07/22/2005)

By cookwie

Try using shortening (e.g. Crisco) instead of butter. Butter melts easily and will make a mess. You can buy clear butter flavouring to add to the shortening to keep the buttery taste. Also, have you tried using fondant? There are lots of books out now with some great ideas for decorating with fondant and it won't melt. You can use the fondant on the outside of the cake and put the buttercream between the layers (next to the cooled cake) where it won't melt. (07/22/2005)

By Trix

Read or heard years ago to add cornstarch to frosting mix, do nor remember how to figure the amount. (07/23/2005)

By Annette