How do I prevent cake frosting from melting?

We are having a 25th Anniversary party at the lake in a non air conditioned hall. I want to use a whipped cream icing on the cake. What do I add to stabilize the whipping cream so it doesn't melt off?

By Bonny from Canada

I hope you are well. My family owns a restaurant and catering service. We always freeze the cakes with whip cream icing, make sure you have a box, preferably a cake box. Freeze it for at least a couple of days before the event.

Best of luck.
Crystal (NC) (04/14/2009)

Unflavored gelatin is the secret. In the mixing bowl, stir together these ingredients with a spoon to combine:

• 1 cup heavy whipping cream
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1 packet unflavored gelatin

Cover, then place the bowl and beaters in the refrigerator 30 minutes to give the sugar and gelatin time to dissolve some, plus everything should be cold. Then beat until stiff peaks form. Be sure you cover the entire cake well with frosting, then refrigerate until you just have to take it out of the fridge. (04/15/2009)

By Anonymous

This is the best frosting I ever made. It tastes just like whipped cream, but stands up and does not weep. Wonderful on a coconut cake and I plan to flavor it with cocoa for a chocolate whipped cream frosting also. Excellent. (04/16/2009)

By rbrady

Cake Frosting Tips and Tricks
Cake Frosting Tips and Tricks
Peanut butter fudge made with cake frosting and peanut butter.
Cake Frosting Fudge Recipes
A piece of carrot cake on plate with cream cheese frosting
Cream Cheese Frosting Recipes
Vanilla cake with filling and vanilla frosting.
Vanilla Cake Recipes
Vanilla frosting on a lemon layer cake.
Vanilla Frosting Recipes