Identifying and Removing a Bad Odor

How do I eliminate a bad odor that came out of nowhere? A few days ago we came home and my house smelled like death and melons. I know that sounds funny, but there's no other way of describing the smell. Initially we thought it was the actual trash, so we poured bleach into the trash bag and tied it closed. It was too late at night to put it in the garbage. Then, the following day, the odor was even stronger. So we poured bleach and soap in the trash can itself and set it outside. Well this morning the odor has worsened. It's not the trash or can, it's not my fridge or the freezer, we don't have a garbage disposal, nor does our dog urinate in our house, he knows better than that! We have no freak'n idea where the source of this stankness is coming from. Like I said, it came literally outta nowhere. I do know that the odor isn't in any of our bedrooms or our bathroom. There's no rotten meat or rotten food in our kitchen. I'm not rich, so I can't afford to have a "specialist" come out to check what's up. I highly doubt it if our landlord will come out to check what's up. So I'm needing a solution that doesn't cost much, such as using household items to get rid of this elusive odor, especially since it's not paying my rent, so it's gots'tuh go. lol. But really, all joking aside. Please help me someone, please!

If you can't find the source looking around the house it might be inside the walls, meaning your piping. Try hot water/vinegar/baking soda flushes in your sinks and baths.

You could have a dead animal. The smell intensifies before it goes away. If you are renting, it is the landlord's duty to provide a safe and comfortable place to live. Contact him or her.

My bet is one of two things-do you have a drain that the trap has gotten dry in? Pour water (several gallons) in each drain, flush toilets and run water for several minutes in the sinks.

Option 2 is a dead mouse. After about 5 days the smell will go away.