Removing Mothball Odor from Washing Machine

Category Odors
The odor of mothballs can be very pervasive and has a long hang time. Washing items stored with them can transfer the odor to your washer. This is a guide about removing mothball odor from washing machine.

I have moth ball odor in my washing machine. I need a remedy.

Answers

Vinegar is a known odor remover. The vinegar odor won't last.

I second the vinegar. Add some baking soda.

dilute a vinegar with water and take a cloth and soak it in the diluted vinegar and wipe it to your washing machine and when dried up, the moth ball odor will be gone...

Clean it, then leave it open to air out good.

How do I remove mothball smell from the washer?

Answers

To clean your washer and get rid of mildew/mothball smells you will need White Vinegar or Bleach, Baking Soda, a toothbrush, and a microfiber cloth.

Step 1
Fill the washer using the highest load size, hottest water setting, and longest wash.

Step 2
Open the lid and as the washer tub fills, add a quart of white vinegar (or bleach).

Step 3
Next, add a cup of baking soda.

Step 4
Close the lid and allow the washer to agitate for about a minute. Open the lid again and allow the water, vinegar, and baking soda to soak in the washer tub for an hour.

Step 5
Meanwhile, remove any parts you can and soak them and clean nooks and crannies under the lid.

Step 6
Soak and scrub removable parts like the bleach and fabric softener wells. Dry them thoroughly and replace.

Using a toothbrush, clean the upper portion of the agitator and hard-to-reach areas under the lid and around the rim of the tub.

Step 7
After an hour, close the lid and allow the cycle to complete.

Step 8
Repeat.

Step 9
Run one more hot wash with a quart of vinegar in it to clean away any residue loosened and left behind by the first cycle.

Step 10
Once the washer has drained, wipe the sides and bottom of the tub with vinegar solution to remove any last residue.

Step 11
You can prolong the cleanliness of a fresh washing machine by leaving the lid open between uses. This allows the interior to dry out thoroughly and prevents mildew.

Alternatively, there is detergent you can buy that you just put in as you would regular detergent and run a cycle of hot water. https://www.goo … hcIPw&adurl=

I washed clothes that had been stored in mothballs and now my washer smells like them. How do I get that smell out? I have tried lots of stuff without success. Nothing is working.

Answers

Spray a rag with pan coating oil. Wash it in your washer, because you need the oil to collect the mothball substance. You could even wipe the insides of the washer with oil first. Be sure to use enough detergent to get the one inch of suds after two minutes of agitating.