Information About Parvo

Parvo is a deadly canine virus that infects many dogs every year. There is a vaccine and treatments for dogs who have contracted the virus, as well as, instructions for cleaning up a house or yard after an infection. This is a guide about information about parvo.

dog with parvo
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 2, 2016 Flag

I just ran into a friend at the store. I gave her a hug. As we were talking she tells me that she is treating her home for parvo because she rescued a dog and found out it had parvo. I came straight home and threw my clothes into the wash and I took a shower. My question is,can I spread the parvo virus to my dogs and 1 week old puppies now that I have showered and washed my clothes?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No, you can't. I can understand the reaction to shower and wash your clothes. But usually it takes contact between dogs or for a dog to come into contact with another dog's feces.

I assume you are planning to vaccinate the puppies and won't let them see other dogs not in the family until then, so you're doing fine.

May 10, 2016 Flag

I just agreed to watch my sister's dog for a little while. The dog is about 6 months old and had parvo when it was a puppy. But my roommate has a full grown dog that hasn't had any of her shots, so can she get parvo from being around the other dog if it has had parvo?

I suggest asking your sister's vet about the possibility of your roommate's dog getting parvo. Parvo is so pervasive and deadly! It is unfortunate that your roommate's dog has not had shots!

April 5, 2016 Flag

The mother had parvo about 3 years ago and now has a litter of puppies. I was told that as long as they were nursing they would be immune to the parvo. My question is what about after they are not nursing anymore. Are they going to have parvo? I'm very scared about this.

It isn't likely your puppies will come down with parvo. The nursing does help their immune system.

Be sure to follow your veterinarian's vaccination schedule. Don't expose them to other dogs until vaccinated. They should be ok.

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2016 Flag

My granddaughter purchased 2 puppies from a breeder on Craig's List at 6 weeks old. At 9 weeks the male started having symptoms of parvo. This was verified by a vet and he is in treatment and was quarantined at the vet's yesterday. The sister started vomiting this morning and has been rushed to the vet. Could the pups have had parvo when purchased and it only be showing up now?

You're right. I had the wrong information. They can contract it in utero, but it wouldn't show up so long after. They had to contract it sometime after they got to the home. Assuming it is parvo.

Read More Answers...

November 30, 2015 Flag

On the 23rd my 13 year old dog passed away. Before that she wouldn't eat and was too weak to get up, she would only drink lots of water. She was sick for 2-3 days. Then on the 24th one of my 10 1/2 wk old puppies started vomiting and would not eat nor drink water. So I got scared and thought maybe this is a virus that's going around.

I was so preoccupied trying to care for my older dog I never noticed when he got sick. So I took him to the vet, $200 later, I was broke and he was just getting worse. They gave him a shot for vomiting and told me it could be parvo.

While I was at the vet I got a call from my dad saying that one of my cats had vomited, so I came home and I separated her in a cage and separated my other two cats as well. He stopped vomiting and would drink water, but that night he passed away. After that I cleaned all their bowls with bleach and threw away all their blankets. I went out and got their second set of shots at the store and everyone was fine for 4 days.

Then yesterday one of my other puppies looked sad so I brought her in and put her in a little kennel, I tried to feed her but she wouldn't eat and doesn't drink water, but sticks her nose in it. She went to the bathroom three times already since yesterday, but it was all diarrhea with blood. I can't take her to the vet because I don't have any money, but I've been trying everything at home to save her and now to make things worse her sister is acting strange so I separated her too and the cat that had vomited before is completely fine some how. If I had the money I'd take her to the vet, but I don't think she's gonna make it at this point.

I wanna know how to prevent it from spreading and to help ease her pain or if I can save her. It breaks my heart to see my babies in pain and it hurts even more that no matter how hard I try or what I do they keep getting sick.

About 3 weeks ago a stray dog attacked one of my puppies and broke his neck and injured the brain, $700 later I had to put him down. Even if I had tried to keep him alive the vet said there was little to no chance he'd fully recovery. He was just limp and would groan because he was in so much pain. I'm just so lost and I need help to stop this virus from spreading. Please someone help.

Best Answer

It does sound like your puppies are dealing with parvo. If they haven't completed their shots they are vulnerable. You will need to do a serious cleanup when it is all over or you should not bring an unvaccinated dog into your house. The virus lingers. It does not affect cats. If you have puppies that are suffering you can contact you local humane society for treatment or euthanasia. Most vets don't charge a lot to do this. I have always limited the number of pets I have just because it is so painful to not be able to help them when they need it. Good luck to you.

March 31, 2016 Flag

I need advice. I recently bought a puppy the day it was born on 3/6/16. I also found another puppy who was 10 to 12 weeks old, and adopted her; thinking it would be wonderful to have them grow up together. The 2nd puppy is now in the hospital fighting for her life against parvo. We've only had her a week. She's been in the hospital almost a week.

We are expected to pick up the new puppy around the end of April. I already paid for the first puppy and can't get my money back. If I thoroughly clean and beg the breeder to keep the puppy through the second set of shots are we safe? The newborn is a Boxer and the parvo puppy is a Staffordshire Terrier.

You really need to ask the Vet.

March 25, 2016 Flag

I have two dogs who were exposed to parvo yesterday and are now vomiting and not eating. One of my dogs is 5 and the other is 9. I was wondering if it is still possible for them to get the virus? Please anyone with any information please help. Thank you.

Dogs can get parvo at any age. Having them vaccinated for parvo decreases the chance of them contracting it. Usually boosters are given yearly assuming the dog had all his shots when he was a puppy. Though the antibodies can last longer than a year.

Is there any reason to believe your dogs haven't had their yearly boosters or didn't get their full series of vaccines when puppies?

I'd be very careful with this. Treat it like parvo until you know different.

March 24, 2016 Flag

I have 2, 12 week old, Husky pups. The male had very watery stool, sudden onset, and had no appetite, but drank water when needed. This sent me into great concern as I know that a clear watery stool is far from normal. I then took both off to the vet and it was said that they have the parvovirus. But this is the thing, they are both eating normally and are well hydrated (pink gums and well perfused) there's no blood signs in their stool. They are not vomiting, and they are both still very playful and active. Could they have been misdiagnosed? But keep in mind they have a bit of a runny tummy, they are currently receiving daily doses of antibiotics and immune booster shots. Help me clear my confusion please?

puppies

Did you have your pups vaccinated? Obviously that would cause a lighter case of parvo. Some dogs just get a lighter case. Sometimes it takes awhile (a few days) for parvo to fully develop. I hope all goes well.

September 24, 2013 Flag

I found two Boxer mix puppies a few weeks ago on the side of the road. They are brothers and were very skinny, so I don't think they've had their shots. Before I could take them to get them, one of the boys vomited twice last night and had runny stool. I took both of them to the doc and they said it's possibly parvo. So I cooked chicken and rice, he kept it down and is drinking water like usual and is playing around. His stool is green and semi solid now, but no blood. I plan to do the bleach cleaning tonight. Is there any other advice I can get to keep my two pups healthy? The vet said not to separate the boys because they've already been exposed. I just feel so bad. I want to do all I can to prevent the other one from getting it and loosing my other pup.

By Raechel

Take the pups to another vet. The fact that the vet in a sense turned you away, without doing anything for the pups says something. If it is parvo they need iv's and constant care. The food is not going to help as parvo strips the lining of the intestine and makes it so that no nutrients can get into the blood stream. Parvo can be survived but it is iffy, and needs professional help.

Read More Answers...

May 27, 2006 Flag

Once a dog is cured from the parvo virus, does the dog still carry the parvo virus germ?

Tracey from Roxboro, NC

No once they have had it they will be immune to it. The vet told me that the parvovirus stays in the ground for 10 years. My 13 week old pup just caught the virus. He started the vomiting last night and had diarrhea this morning but no blood or foul odor to it. When we got to the vet he acted like nothing was wrong wanted to play with the other animals but I wouldn't allow it. The vet then proceeded to tell me that he should make a speedy recovery and as long as a pup is up to date on their shots the vaccine company should actually pay for all the fees for "hospitalizing" the pup. If your vet has told you about that then you might wanna ask about it but the dog has to be up to date on his/her shots in order for the vaccine company to cover the charges

Read More Answers...

July 16, 2015 Flag

I think my dog may have a touch of the parvovirus. If I go ahead and give them the parvo shot will it help them?

The short answer is no. The parvo vaccine will only help dogs that don't have the virus. He may have something else, like distemper. If nothing else, get him tested for rabies, since you can contract that disease and this is the time of the year the illness is the most active. If he has distemper or parvo, the illness can get deadly in a few days. So I suggest taking him to the vet.

Read More Answers...

November 26, 2015 Flag

I found a very emaciated dog who is about 7 months old. Do I need to wait till she gains some weight before I vaccinate her? She is eating every time we offer more food. I have wormed her, but wonderd when I should give her the parvo shot? Thanks.

First- Don't keep feeding the dog all day. It can get bloat and die. A starving dog must be fed small amounts of food at a time, and don't feed as much as you would a full weight dog.

Second, vaccinations should be given as soon as possible. Since the dog is in poor health it is easier for it to get sick. Vaccinations should hopefully prevent anything from happening.

June 24, 2015 Flag

My dog has had parvo. He first showed signs 11 days ago and I thought he would die. I treated him at home with antibiotics and antisick meds. He got over the worst and I thought he would live. He had a teaspoon of chicken two days ago, but he has started vomiting again and won't eat anything. All meds have been given up his rear end so he doesn't sick them up. I stopped the antibiotics 2 days ago when he ate a teaspoon of food. Should I start them again? I can't understand why he is going downhill again.

Please resume the antibiotics immediately! Many people take antibiotics themselves or give to their children or pets but then stop "when the sick person or animal seems 'better'". The problem is that antibiotics must be continued to the end of the prescription even if there is some improvement. Although there may be improvement, the bacteria is still active so the medicine must be "used up" to kill off all the bacteria.

Antibiotics are designed to be given in specific doses over a specific period of time based on previous decades of research. Ideally, one dose could kill all bacteria, however, that one dose may also kill the patient. So, a reasonable dose over time will eventually work but it must be provided as prescribed to work.

Read More Answers...

June 8, 2010 Flag

How can I test my dog at home for parvo?

By Mildred from Texas City, TX

Best Answer

I don't really know if there's a home test but it would be best if you have the vet do the test to be sure even if there is one. Parvo is not something to lose time diagnosing :-(

Read More Answers...

March 30, 2015 Flag

When people are selling a puppy on Craigslist and do not name the symptoms of the puppy who is not a new born but 3 months old already, could it possibly have parvo? They are asking $50. What do you do? What could you possibly do?

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes
                        Load More
                        Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 19, 2013
                        A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
                        Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
                        Sick Puppy
                        ParvoBusters Remedies for Parvo
                        Parvoguard
                        Parvoguard Reviews
                        Puppy Smelling Flower
                        Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
                        © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 28, 2016 at 8:04:46 PM on 10.0.1.124 in 818 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.