Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Information About Parvo

Parvo is a deadly canine virus that infects many dogs every year. There is a vaccine and treatments for dogs who have contracted the virus, as well as, instructions for cleaning up a house or yard after an infection. This is a guide about information about parvo.

Puppy Smelling Flower

CommentPin It! Was this helpful? Yes

This is a guide about getting a puppy after losing one to parvo. Parvo is a very contagious disease, the virus can remain active in your home and yard for some time.

My puppy, a 7 week old Leonberger, has had parvo and stayed at the ER for a week. How long is her recovery from this virus? She still has frequent mucous poops, but is having a good appetite and frequent urination as well. Is this normal? This would be her first week at home coming from the hospital. I am concerned of her frequent pooping and urination. Please advise. Thank you!

Thanks Judy, none of those are existing, no vomiting, no blood in the stool. She hAs appetite. The only concern for me is her frequent pooing and presence of mucous in her stool. As you said i will wait for few weeks more, this would be her 3rd week after she left the hospital.

Thanks again

February 21, 2017 Flag

My Yorkie is 15 weeks and has had parvo for 5 days, but she is in the hospital on an IV. She still has vomiting and diarrhea a little, and won't really eat. The vet said she has been standing up a little and looking around. Will she recover? Is she on the road of recovery? How long does it usually take a puppy to recover? Thanks a lot.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I took care of a puppy with parvo at home. She recovered slowly, it takes time for her digestive system to heal and for her to feel better. She will start to eat little bits of gentle food slowly and you will notice that everyday she will have a little more energy. It took about 2 weeks for my puppy to heal and start running around and being herself. You have to be patient, and a little TLC helps too. There are a lot of good ideas online about treating a puppy with parvo. They were great. The vet gave me the meds (antibiotic and another)and I did the treatments at home with the over the counter meds (anti diarrhea med, pepto bismol, pediolyte ) and the prescription meds.

On the 23rd my 13 year old dog passed away. Before that she wouldn't eat and was too weak to get up, she would only drink lots of water. She was sick for 2-3 days. Then on the 24th one of my 10 1/2 wk old puppies started vomiting and would not eat nor drink water. So I got scared and thought maybe this is a virus that's going around.

I was so preoccupied trying to care for my older dog I never noticed when he got sick. So I took him to the vet, $200 later, I was broke and he was just getting worse. They gave him a shot for vomiting and told me it could be parvo.

While I was at the vet I got a call from my dad saying that one of my cats had vomited, so I came home and I separated her in a cage and separated my other two cats as well. He stopped vomiting and would drink water, but that night he passed away. After that I cleaned all their bowls with bleach and threw away all their blankets. I went out and got their second set of shots at the store and everyone was fine for 4 days.

Then yesterday one of my other puppies looked sad so I brought her in and put her in a little kennel, I tried to feed her but she wouldn't eat and doesn't drink water, but sticks her nose in it. She went to the bathroom three times already since yesterday, but it was all diarrhea with blood. I can't take her to the vet because I don't have any money, but I've been trying everything at home to save her and now to make things worse her sister is acting strange so I separated her too and the cat that had vomited before is completely fine some how. If I had the money I'd take her to the vet, but I don't think she's gonna make it at this point.

I wanna know how to prevent it from spreading and to help ease her pain or if I can save her. It breaks my heart to see my babies in pain and it hurts even more that no matter how hard I try or what I do they keep getting sick.

About 3 weeks ago a stray dog attacked one of my puppies and broke his neck and injured the brain, $700 later I had to put him down. Even if I had tried to keep him alive the vet said there was little to no chance he'd fully recovery. He was just limp and would groan because he was in so much pain. I'm just so lost and I need help to stop this virus from spreading. Please someone help.

Best Answer

It does sound like your puppies are dealing with parvo. If they haven't completed their shots they are vulnerable. You will need to do a serious cleanup when it is all over or you should not bring an unvaccinated dog into your house. The virus lingers. It does not affect cats. If you have puppies that are suffering you can contact you local humane society for treatment or euthanasia. Most vets don't charge a lot to do this. I have always limited the number of pets I have just because it is so painful to not be able to help them when they need it. Good luck to you.

My 4 week old puppy was being showed off by one of my daughter's friends when I learned their pup had just died of parvo. She was held the entire time and never touched the ground or any furniture. As soon as I got home I stripped of my shoes and clothes took a shower and sprayed the bathroom and the entire floor with bleach. Is my pup at risk at this time? And what should I do?

Probably not at risk the way you describe it. Your daughter now knows, hopefully, not to just assume a home is safe. Visitors should come to YOUR home to view the puppy.

If there was exposure, unfortunately there isn't anything you can do to change it. However it sounds unlikely.

November 14, 2016 Flag

I've been told to go with the home remedy for parvo using apple cider vinegar mixed with Pedialyte and one 500mg amoxicillin crushed. It says to bring to a boil. Do I mix all of the ingredients in which it says to use and boil it all together and of so, how much of what would be the right amount of the 3 items listed? This is an emergency. Please someone help me. My dogs are far more then just pets. They are my babies, my kids!

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have never heard of this. But if you boil the amoxicillin you will destroy its antibiotic properties.

September 24, 2013 Flag

I found two Boxer mix puppies a few weeks ago on the side of the road. They are brothers and were very skinny, so I don't think they've had their shots. Before I could take them to get them, one of the boys vomited twice last night and had runny stool. I took both of them to the doc and they said it's possibly parvo. So I cooked chicken and rice, he kept it down and is drinking water like usual and is playing around. His stool is green and semi solid now, but no blood. I plan to do the bleach cleaning tonight. Is there any other advice I can get to keep my two pups healthy? The vet said not to separate the boys because they've already been exposed. I just feel so bad. I want to do all I can to prevent the other one from getting it and loosing my other pup.

By Raechel

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Take the pups to another vet. The fact that the vet in a sense turned you away, without doing anything for the pups says something. If it is parvo they need iv's and constant care. The food is not going to help as parvo strips the lining of the intestine and makes it so that no nutrients can get into the blood stream. Parvo can be survived but it is iffy, and needs professional help.

My granddaughter purchased 2 puppies from a breeder on Craig's List at 6 weeks old. At 9 weeks the male started having symptoms of parvo. This was verified by a vet and he is in treatment and was quarantined at the vet's yesterday. The sister started vomiting this morning and has been rushed to the vet. Could the pups have had parvo when purchased and it only be showing up now?

Hahaha puppies can not get parvo in the womb then all of a sudden show signs 8 weeks later. Please this lady is very concern, take some time to research, before assuming.

I just ran into a friend at the store. I gave her a hug. As we were talking she tells me that she is treating her home for parvo because she rescued a dog and found out it had parvo. I came straight home and threw my clothes into the wash and I took a shower. My question is,can I spread the parvo virus to my dogs and 1 week old puppies now that I have showered and washed my clothes?

No, you can't. I can understand the reaction to shower and wash your clothes. But usually it takes contact between dogs or for a dog to come into contact with another dog's feces.

I assume you are planning to vaccinate the puppies and won't let them see other dogs not in the family until then, so you're doing fine.

September 4, 2016 Flag

Recently my puppy died from parvo. I have already cleaned out the area with bleach. How long before I let my pets around that area? We have two other dogs in quarantine away from that area.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That would be a good question for your Vet. I would think your best move would be to see that your dogs are all properly vaccinated.

Once a dog is cured from the parvo virus, does the dog still carry the parvo virus germ?

Tracey from Roxboro, NC

This is not true, my dog caught it once as a pup and again as an adult

August 10, 2016 Flag

My puppy is 4 months old. He has had the runs for the past 3 days. His stool seems almost like water at times and other times it seems a little mucus might be in it. He still drinks lots of water, plays, gums are a nice pink color, he is still eating although slower then normal. Instead of him emptying his bowl in half an hour it takes him almost all day. Does he have parvo? Should be I worried?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It could be parvo, but it sounds more like he just caught a stomach bug.

Wash all his bedding and bowls. Make sure he doesn't have access to any stagnant water outside. Make sure he hasn't been eating stuff like deer poop, cat poop, fairy ring mushrooms, or anything else that might look tasty to a dog. If nothing else helps, he may have got a bad batch of his food.

April 5, 2016 Flag

The mother had parvo about 3 years ago and now has a litter of puppies. I was told that as long as they were nursing they would be immune to the parvo. My question is what about after they are not nursing anymore. Are they going to have parvo? I'm very scared about this.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have no idea who told you they would have immunity to parvo. It may or may not be true. But you puppies should be getting their vaccinations, including parvo from a Vet. He will be able to tell your whether they are protected or not.

March 31, 2016 Flag

I need advice. I recently bought a puppy the day it was born on 3/6/16. I also found another puppy who was 10 to 12 weeks old, and adopted her; thinking it would be wonderful to have them grow up together. The 2nd puppy is now in the hospital fighting for her life against parvo. We've only had her a week. She's been in the hospital almost a week.

We are expected to pick up the new puppy around the end of April. I already paid for the first puppy and can't get my money back. If I thoroughly clean and beg the breeder to keep the puppy through the second set of shots are we safe? The newborn is a Boxer and the parvo puppy is a Staffordshire Terrier.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You really need to ask the Vet.

October 14, 2013 Flag

My puppy was tested for parvo and the test came back negative, but the next day he was vomiting. Can that be parvo or something else?

By Becca N. from Las Vegas NV

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hello,

Please call your veterinarian for professional advice. This is not the site to ask for medical advice for your sick puppy. Good luck

September 22, 2013 Flag

My dog went to the vet's and a dog had pravo. He has had all of his shots. He just got the last one that day. How long before I know if he has it?

By Denise

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Parvo is terrible! It is spread through the air, carried on clothing and shoes from one place to another. If a dog has parvo, all dogs in the entire neighborhood are at risk. Good news though! Your dog is vaccinated, so he should be safe. I wouldn't worry about it, just keep an eye on him. If he starts getting depressed, or has diarrhea, then take him to the vet. But I think he'll be fine. :)

June 8, 2010 Flag

How can I test my dog at home for parvo?

By Mildred from Texas City, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I don't really know if there's a home test but it would be best if you have the vet do the test to be sure even if there is one. Parvo is not something to lose time diagnosing :-(

May 10, 2016 Flag

I just agreed to watch my sister's dog for a little while. The dog is about 6 months old and had parvo when it was a puppy. But my roommate has a full grown dog that hasn't had any of her shots, so can she get parvo from being around the other dog if it has had parvo?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I suggest asking your sister's vet about the possibility of your roommate's dog getting parvo. Parvo is so pervasive and deadly! It is unfortunate that your roommate's dog has not had shots!

March 25, 2016 Flag

I have two dogs who were exposed to parvo yesterday and are now vomiting and not eating. One of my dogs is 5 and the other is 9. I was wondering if it is still possible for them to get the virus? Please anyone with any information please help. Thank you.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Dogs can get parvo at any age. Having them vaccinated for parvo decreases the chance of them contracting it. Usually boosters are given yearly assuming the dog had all his shots when he was a puppy. Though the antibodies can last longer than a year.

Is there any reason to believe your dogs haven't had their yearly boosters or didn't get their full series of vaccines when puppies?

I'd be very careful with this. Treat it like parvo until you know different.

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 19, 2013
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Sick Puppy
ParvoBusters Remedies for Parvo
Parvoguard
Parvoguard Reviews
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 25, 2017 at 6:11:32 AM on 10.0.1.175 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.