Information About Parvo

Parvo is a deadly canine virus that infects many dogs every year. There is a vaccine and treatments for dogs who have contracted the virus, as well as, instructions for cleaning up a house or yard after an infection. This is a guide about information about parvo.

dog with parvo
Filter Sort

Question: Do Dogs that Survive Parvo Still Carry the Virus?

Once a dog is cured from the parvo virus, does the dog still carry the parvo virus germ?

Tracey from Roxboro, NC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sandra D. 1 Flag

No once they have had it they will be immune to it. The vet told me that the parvovirus stays in the ground for 10 years. My 13 week old pup just caught the virus. He started the vomiting last night and had diarrhea this morning but no blood or foul odor to it. When we got to the vet he acted like nothing was wrong wanted to play with the other animals but I wouldn't allow it. The vet then proceeded to tell me that he should make a speedy recovery and as long as a pup is up to date on their shots the vaccine company should actually pay for all the fees for "hospitalizing" the pup. If your vet has told you about that then you might wanna ask about it but the dog has to be up to date on his/her shots in order for the vaccine company to cover the charges

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Neighbor's Dogs Died of Parvo

By Jemm 1

I'm just looking for a bit of advice about parvo. Our neighbors, very bad neighbors, 2 new puppies have caught parvo and have died from it. They then decided to buried the pups on our fence line. I'm concerned for my dogs, pure bree working Kelpies, 1 female 3/4years and 1 male 6years old. Both up to date with all vaccines and always have been, but our female may be pregnant. What will this become? And is there anything I can do to stop the spead into my yard and our poor dogs. Does something like this need to be reported? Our dogs are booked in to see the veterinarian tomorrow first thing. If there's anything I can do around my yard, please let me know.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pets Keep Getting Sick

By Aylin Solano 1

On the 23rd my 13 year old dog passed away. Before that she wouldn't eat and was too weak to get up, she would only drink lots of water. She was sick for 2-3 days. Then on the 24th one of my 10 1/2 wk old puppies started vomiting and would not eat nor drink water. So I got scared and thought maybe this is a virus that's going around.

I was so preoccupied trying to care for my older dog I never noticed when he got sick. So I took him to the vet, $200 later, I was broke and he was just getting worse. They gave him a shot for vomiting and told me it could be parvo.

While I was at the vet I got a call from my dad saying that one of my cats had vomited, so I came home and I separated her in a cage and separated my other two cats as well. He stopped vomiting and would drink water, but that night he passed away. After that I cleaned all their bowls with bleach and threw away all their blankets. I went out and got their second set of shots at the store and everyone was fine for 4 days.

Then yesterday one of my other puppies looked sad so I brought her in and put her in a little kennel, I tried to feed her but she wouldn't eat and doesn't drink water, but sticks her nose in it. She went to the bathroom three times already since yesterday, but it was all diarrhea with blood. I can't take her to the vet because I don't have any money, but I've been trying everything at home to save her and now to make things worse her sister is acting strange so I separated her too and the cat that had vomited before is completely fine some how. If I had the money I'd take her to the vet, but I don't think she's gonna make it at this point.

I wanna know how to prevent it from spreading and to help ease her pain or if I can save her. It breaks my heart to see my babies in pain and it hurts even more that no matter how hard I try or what I do they keep getting sick.

About 3 weeks ago a stray dog attacked one of my puppies and broke his neck and injured the brain, $700 later I had to put him down. Even if I had tried to keep him alive the vet said there was little to no chance he'd fully recovery. He was just limp and would groan because he was in so much pain. I'm just so lost and I need help to stop this virus from spreading. Please someone help.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answer

By Lizzyanny 9 1,250 Flag

It does sound like your puppies are dealing with parvo. If they haven't completed their shots they are vulnerable. You will need to do a serious cleanup when it is all over or you should not bring an unvaccinated dog into your house. The virus lingers. It does not affect cats. If you have puppies that are suffering you can contact you local humane society for treatment or euthanasia. Most vets don't charge a lot to do this. I have always limited the number of pets I have just because it is so painful to not be able to help them when they need it. Good luck to you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Parvo: How Long Should I Wait to Get Another Dog?

The staffy pup I brought home from the shelter had parvo. She soiled twice on my carpet. I quickly cleaned it up and then we used a trigene disinfectant from the vet and sprayed the carpet many times. She also vomited once outside and we dug out the soil about 2 feet and bleached the area. The pavers have been bleached and all floors have been bleached. My pup had to be put down, she was so young and sick. How long should we wait until anther pup can come into my home?

Many thanks,
      Colleen

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By John Stark 5 04/15/2009 Flag

Bleach will NOT work outside! Use Shacklee Basic G, it kills the Parvo in the grass, on the ground but won't kill the grass or pollute the ground.

BTW, Parvo stays on and in the ground a year if not treated and it can be tracked home by anyone who goes in your yard.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting Your Dog Parvo Shots

By cdfan117 1

I found a very emaciated dog who is about 7 months old. Do I need to wait till she gains some weight before I vaccinate her? She is eating every time we offer more food. I have wormed her, but wonderd when I should give her the parvo shot? Thanks.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

First- Don't keep feeding the dog all day. It can get bloat and die. A starving dog must be fed small amounts of food at a time, and don't feed as much as you would a full weight dog.

Second, vaccinations should be given as soon as possible. Since the dog is in poor health it is easier for it to get sick. Vaccinations should hopefully prevent anything from happening.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Caring for Puppy With Possible Parvo

By Raechel 1

I found two Boxer mix puppies a few weeks ago on the side of the road. They are brothers and were very skinny, so I don't think they've had their shots. Before I could take them to get them, one of the boys vomited twice last night and had runny stool. I took both of them to the doc and they said it's possibly parvo. So I cooked chicken and rice, he kept it down and is drinking water like usual and is playing around. His stool is green and semi solid now, but no blood. I plan to do the bleach cleaning tonight. Is there any other advice I can get to keep my two pups healthy? The vet said not to separate the boys because they've already been exposed. I just feel so bad. I want to do all I can to prevent the other one from getting it and loosing my other pup.

By Raechel

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By dandelion1o1 5 Flag

Take the pups to another vet. The fact that the vet in a sense turned you away, without doing anything for the pups says something. If it is parvo they need iv's and constant care. The food is not going to help as parvo strips the lining of the intestine and makes it so that no nutrients can get into the blood stream. Parvo can be survived but it is iffy, and needs professional help.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Can Vaccinated Dogs Get Parvo?

By JTYREE 1 2

I was dog sitting three miniature Doberman Pinschers for two weeks, and the 5 month old puppy got parvo and died after I took them home. The mother and daddy dogs are older dogs, and the couple said they were up to date on their shots, but that they were also sick.

These dogs were in my fenced in back yard during the day and in a pen at night. I have a Jack Russell terrier who is 9 years old and a Chihuahua who is 10 months, and they are both up to date on their shots. Neither of my dogs are sick and haven't been out of the yard. The couple are blaming me for their puppy dying and their dogs being sick and have refused to pay me. How in the world did their dogs get parvo?

By JTYREE from Mulga, AL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By JTYREE 1 2 Flag

ThankYou all very much for all of your feedback. I have never kept anyone else's dogs before this but I agree it is a lesson learned for me. I had worked for these people before doing sitter work for the husband as he is disabled. I can understand them being hurt over losing their puppy, but I was very surprised in their blaming me for their puppy dying. They breed the adults and the puppy was one they could not sell, but I feel that they should have had the pup utd on shots which they did not. My dogs are utd on theirs and so far since they have been exposed, they are not sick and I have taken all the precautions, such as cleaning with clorox and spraying the yard just to make sure. I have not contacted the couple anymore so I dont know if their other dogs got parvo or not. I feel its best to leave it alone and lick my wounds so to speak. Thanks for all of your answers!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Does My Other Dog Have Parvo Too?

By bobbi 1

We had a dog die of Parvo. How long do we wait to see if our other dogs catch it?

By Bobbi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By vicki hood 4 563 Flag

Get to the health food store if your dog has parvo. You need colloidal silver (10ppm or stronger) for an enema. Half hour later, another CS enema. CS by mouth often as you can even if you have to do it by eyedropper full. Even if you have to hydrate all through the night. Feed anything liquid. Chicken soup is good. They die mostly because of dehydration. Germs in the house/yard live for at least 6 months. Good luck. Deadly disease they often get from the vaccine. Build immune system with good food and care. No grocery store garbage kibble or canned. No corn wheat or soy. That destroys immune system and causes bad skin too.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Does My Puppy Have Parvo?

Grey Pit or Pit mix puppy.My puppy was tested for parvo and the test came back negative, but the next day he was vomiting. Can that be parvo or something else?

By Becca N. from Las Vegas NV

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL 8 421 Flag

K9 CATS said it all. Your veterinarian is just a phone call away. Time is important with all animal problems.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: How Does a Dog Contract Parvo?

My dog went to the vet's and a dog had pravo. He has had all of his shots. He just got the last one that day. How long before I know if he has it?

By Denise

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL 8 421 Flag

The person you should be asking this question is your Veterinarian.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Parvo Virus in My Yard

I have the parvo virus in my yard. One pup survived and the other died. If my dog has pups what would the survival rate be for the pups?

By Niomi from Australia

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Andrea F. 1 08/28/2015 Flag

The Parvo virus is particularly hardy as well as wide spread. In my research, the general consensus is that the virus can live in a yard up to three years. You can bleach your yard to kill the virus, but be aware this will be detrimental to the grass.
        And when you're done with the cleaning be aware that rodents can easily carry the virus back in to your yard. It is frustrating.

So, you're best bet would be to hold off on pups for now. Clean inside as best you can. But one dog contracting Parvo does not say a lot about what will happen with others. There are many factors involved. Vaccines or no vaccines, when were the vaccines given, what brand were they, what strain of Parvo was it. I have two five month old pups, who were vaccinated, who broke with Parvo a week ago. It looks like they will both make it and I'm busy cleaning right now, so I sympathize.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Does My Puppy Have Parvo?

By kaity 1 1

Can a puppy who's been vaccinated for Parvo still get it? My 18 week old beagle/basset mix has had diarrhea and been throwing up. He has been a lot less hyper than normal but we have had all of his shots done. I'm wondering if maybe he's just sick, this is the 3rd day of his diarrhea. We did recently change his food and he is still eating and drinking fine though. Normally he is very playful and hyper but lately you have to make him play. I am very worried!

Kaity from Woodstock, GA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

If he is eating it isn't parvo. If he isn't better in a day or so take him to the vet. Have you changed his food recently? Sometimes a change in food can cause upset.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Giving a Parvo Shot to Dog With the Virus

By Jennifer Beavers 1

I think my dog may have a touch of the parvovirus. If I go ahead and give them the parvo shot will it help them?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

The short answer is no. The parvo vaccine will only help dogs that don't have the virus. He may have something else, like distemper. If nothing else, get him tested for rabies, since you can contract that disease and this is the time of the year the illness is the most active. If he has distemper or parvo, the illness can get deadly in a few days. So I suggest taking him to the vet.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Treating a Dog With Parvo

By Maria K. 1

My dog has had parvo. He first showed signs 11 days ago and I thought he would die. I treated him at home with antibiotics and antisick meds. He got over the worst and I thought he would live. He had a teaspoon of chicken two days ago, but he has started vomiting again and won't eat anything. All meds have been given up his rear end so he doesn't sick them up. I stopped the antibiotics 2 days ago when he ate a teaspoon of food. Should I start them again? I can't understand why he is going downhill again.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Please resume the antibiotics immediately! Many people take antibiotics themselves or give to their children or pets but then stop "when the sick person or animal seems 'better'". The problem is that antibiotics must be continued to the end of the prescription even if there is some improvement. Although there may be improvement, the bacteria is still active so the medicine must be "used up" to kill off all the bacteria.

Antibiotics are designed to be given in specific doses over a specific period of time based on previous decades of research. Ideally, one dose could kill all bacteria, however, that one dose may also kill the patient. So, a reasonable dose over time will eventually work but it must be provided as prescribed to work.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Buying Puppies from Craigslist

By ryanne 3

When people are selling a puppy on Craigslist and do not name the symptoms of the puppy who is not a new born but 3 months old already, could it possibly have parvo? They are asking $50. What do you do? What could you possibly do?

By ryanne

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

Do not buy a puppy on Craigslist that is showing any symptoms of illness. You may pay hundreds in vet bills only to have the puppy possibly die anyway.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Protecting Dogs from Parvo

By AshleyNichole 1

I had 3 dogs. Zoey, who is 5 years old. Sissy, who is 2 years old. and Leia who was 14 months old. Leila recently passed from parvo. We buried her in the backyard. When we came back in we bleached my whole living room, the kitchen, the foyer, the bathroom my clothes were laying in, the porch, the sidewalk and the whole yard. I've never had to deal with parvo before and I knew it was a mean disease but I had no idea what to look for or how quick it was to just take over. When I got up today I bleached everything again. We've fed our other 2 dogs raw eggs and Pedialyte because it's a home remedy that we read about. My main question is what can I do to keep my other 2 dogs from getting this awful disease? How do I know if I've killed it (parvo) in my home and it's safe now for them? I don't know. Please if there is anything you know of how to prevent my other babies from getting it, please let me know. Thank you.

By AshleyNichole

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Susie21 17 Flag

My vet said that parvo is spread by flies - so if you have no flies around (by bleaching), the problem is solved. Wash food bowls after meals and keep the water dish clean daily. Vaccinations are the only way.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Parvo Information

I'm wanting to get a new puppy. She is a survivor of parvo, but my sister has a puppy also and he has only had his first shot. I'm worried about if the new puppy can give my sister's puppy parvo? The owners of the puppy I want say that she has had tests done and they were clean.

By Taylour F

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

More information about false negatives:

"Can a dog test negative for parvo and have the disease?

Yes: These results are termed false negative results. They tend to occur for two main reasons:

- the disease process is very early. It takes time (about 4 days) for virus particles to replicate and to start shedding into the feces where they can be detected on parvo testing kits.

- the antibody response of the animal is very high. This tends to occur later in disease. If an animal does not die, infection with parvo will eventually result in a response from the immune system: the immune system will mobilise defensive cells and produce antibodies to try to kill the virus. Many of these antibodies will remain in the bloodstream, but many will also be secreted into the intestinal tract (antibodies are one of the proteins that leak into the gut through the inflamed, ulcerated zones). These antibodies will bind to viral antigens in the feces and this can 'block' the antibodies in the parvo test kit from getting exposure to them. The result is a false negative."

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Separating Puppy Recovering from Parvo from Other Dog

We just bought two puppies from the same breeder about a month ago and they were perfectly healthy until about a week and a half ago when one of the puppies became very sick with vomiting and diarrhoea. The vet originally thought it was gastro so we kept him at home with our other puppy and they were in very close contact all the time whilst he was sick, eating from the same bowl, etc.

However after about a week our sick puppy was not getting any better so we took him to the vet and they confirmed it was parvo. However they thought it was highly unusual that our other pup did not get parvo from him, so they kept him at the vet's from then on for about 6 nights. We just brought him home tonight.

The vet thinks we should separate both puppies for the next month so we have our recovering pup in the laundry all by himself and he won't be coming out for the month because we can't risk our other puppy getting sick. Should we be bothering? Wouldn't our healthy pup already be sick, having been exposed for over a week to his illness plus being in the area in which he slept and went to the toilet frequently? He is still not showing any symptoms after over 2 weeks.

I am very worried about the adaption process that our sick pup is missing out on because I feel as though a month locked away in a laundry with no one being able to play with him or cuddle him is very bad!

By Madison

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By NEWFIEGIRL 8 421 Flag

Please seek another veterinarian advise.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Parvo Communicability

If my dog doesn't have parvo any more, but the virus is in my house if I pet another dog would it get parvo?

By Gg

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Sherri 10 551 Flag

Oh, please do NOT get another dog until you are sure all of the Parvo is gone.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Does the Female Dog's Milk Protect Puppies Against Parvo?

By luis 2

Does the female dog's milk protect puppies from getting Parvo?

By Luis from CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

thr522587 Flag

No! And the best thing you can do is talk to a vet about when they should have all of their shots including the ones to protect against Parvo! Is mom protected?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Can Older Dogs Get Parvo?

By sandy helms 5 1

Is there an age limit for when a dog can get parvo?

By Sandy H. from Bay Point, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cathy 1 35 Flag

I have to disagree with renee5774 because older dogs can get parvo. My Lab/Husky mix came down with parvo when she was 6 years old. We had just moved to TN from MN when she came down with it. The vet in TN told me that parvo was common in TN because it doesn't get cold enough to freeze it out in the winter. So my dog spent 6 days in intensive care on IV fluids but she did make it threw it alive. The one and only year that she did not have her shot and this happened. So my suggestion is to vaccinate your dog at all ages!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Disinfecting After Parvo

By Jo Sagendorf O. 1

Both my puppy and my 5 year old dog were exposed to parvo. My puppy came down with it and survived. How long after her recovery do I wait to disinfect my yard and house because I was told it remains in the feces for two weeks after they are better?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Chimere Duncan 1 2 Flag

You want to disinfectant your yard ASAP, It survives extremely low and high temperatures. The only household disinfectant that kills the virus is bleach.[The dilute bleach solution needs to be a (1:10 ratio) to disinfect and kill parvovirus.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Breeder Responsibility for Puppy With Parvo

By sandi B 1

I bought my puppy Sunday evening. I noticed she had slight diarrhea Monday morning so I bought wormer and wormed her. I thought this would clear it up so I waited 24hrs. On Tuesday night I noticed blood in her poo so I took her to the vet's Wednesday morning where she has been diagnosed with parvo virus and is in hospital now on the drip. Hopefully she will pull through, but it's going to cost a minimum of £250. The breeder is not intersted when I asked for help paying the bill. What if anything can I do? I paid £500 for the dog.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

You are using pounds here, I see. Your laws in the UK are different than our "dog lemon laws" in the US.

I found a UK site that gave some information, so here's the link: https://cariadcampaign.wordpress.com/let-the-buyer-beware/

It looks like dogs are covered under the Sale of Goods Act and you have recourse through small claims court.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: My Dog Got Parvo After Getting Vaccinated

By Alexandra C. 1

Has anyone else's dog ever gotten parvo after being vaccinated? Should the vaccination company be reliable for the charges to keep my dog alive?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Difficult question. Parvo is so easy to contract that even walking your dog through a room that a dog with parvo had just walked through can give your dog the disease. It is entirely possible that your dog had contracted the parvo just before the vaccination but had no obvious symptoms before the shot. At least, that is what the maker of the vaccination would probably claim.

Has your veterinarian suggested that your dog contracted parvo as a result of the shot? Unfortunately, proving your dog was infected by the vaccination can be very difficult. If you believe your dog was infected by the vaccination, you can certainly contact the company providing the vaccine to make a claim for damages.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Pravo Vaccination

By briana m. D. 1

I just gave my pup her pravo shot. She's 5wks old. How long do you have to wait to let them come in contact with pravo? Can she be in contact right away and she won't get sick or wait a week?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

First of all, you should never let a dog come in contact with another dog that you suspect has parvo. The parvo shot can't guarantee that your dog can never get parvo. It does help keep your dog from getting parvo but doesn't work 100% of the time.

Second, your puppy was too young to get the parvo shot. Parvo shots don't work before 6 weeks. For many dogs they don't start working until 8 weeks. Your dog will need continued boosters every few weeks until the series is finished or he will not be immune.

Your dog is too young to be around other dogs. She could get parvo, worms, distemper, etc. from other dogs. 5 weeks is a baby. Give the dog time to develop an immune system.

This link may help: http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=2+2115&aid=960

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Parvo Disinfecting Tactics

By leslie valdez 3

My pup recently caught the parvo virus and has been fighting against it for 4 days. I have been disinfecting my house and yard, but how do I disinfect myself? I don't feel like just a shower is good enough here.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

I'm confused. Do you work with other dogs? Do you often visit with people who have unvaccinated dogs? If not, a shower and change of clothes should be fine. You can't catch it yourself.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Transmission of Parvo Virus

By leslie valdez 3

I have a puppy that has had parvo for the past 4 days. My dad has a one and a half year old Husky that is pregnant. I went to his house yesterday which means I exposed the Husky to the parvo virus. Should my dad disinfect his house and yard? What would be the most effective way to do it?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Abigail A. 15 1,032 Flag

I don't think there's any way to disinfect the yard.

In the house, the carpet will have to be shampooed or steam cleaned. The sofa will have to be cleaned if he was on it.

Then think where else he's been. Was he on the kitchen or bathroom floor? Did he play with the Husky's toys? Did he drink from her food or water bowl? All of those things will have to be cleaned.

As you can see, it will be nearly impossible to ensure the Husky and yet-to-be born pups are not exposed. All you can do is try.

In the future (and for anyone else reading this) never, ever, ever bring a puppy into a home with other dogs until the puppy has had his entire series of shots. Never expose a pregnant dog to a puppy that may not have had ALL of its shots. If you have dogs and are planning on bringing a new puppy home, make sure your own dogs are up-to-date on all shots. And never take home a puppy from a breeder you aren't sure about or that looks sick or whose littermates look sick.

(Note: I'm not saying you did any of these things, but many people still do, so I feel it's important to point this out again.)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Dog Was Exposed to Parvo Won't Gain Weight

I recently found out that the dog I adopted about 2 months ago was exposed to parvo as a puppy and the owner never took him into the vet to get any vaccinations. He was extremely skinny when I got him and I just thought that he was underfed by his previous owners so I've been trying everything I can to have him put on some weight (cheap dog food, puppy food, extremely stinkin expensive dog food, wet food, homemade food) everything. I feed him 2X a day and he still won't put on any weight, but he poops like 5X a day. I made an apt to get him neutered in about a month. This was before I found out he was exposed to parvo so, should I make a sooner apt? and is there any other way to get him to put on weight? Also, is there any chance he may have the virus? Should I get him started on any vitamins? I Honesty know nothing about this.

By Nessie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By DCA 4 1,344 Flag

Please take your dog to the vet now-he is not gaining weight though you are feeding him well, he defecates much too often, and may or may not have other problems. He is clearly sick!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Help for 4 Month Chihuahua with Parvo

girl and puppyI have a 4 month old chihuahua mix boxer that tested positive for parvo yesterday. I don't have the money to help him. He's not throwing up, but he wont eat or drink. I've been giving him Pedialyte and Gatorade with a syringe. What else can I do for my baby that's not going to cost too much? Or does anyone know of any organization that will or can help?

By Alisha from Fresno, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Myrna 17 1,083 Flag

This recipe was borrowed from this site: http://www.earthclinic.com/pets/parvo.html

Homemade Pedialyte

4 cups of water (boiled or bottled drinking water) 1/2 teaspoon Morton lite salt (because it has potassium in it as well as sodium chloride) Can use regular table salt if you have to. 2 Tablespoons sugar 1/2 teaspoon flavored jello or sodium free broth to add some flavor

Start with 1 cup of electrolyte solution in a small jar with a lid; add 2 heaping tablespoons of AC and then put the lid on and shake to blend. This goes into a syringe well and then can be placed into your dog's mouth; tip the head back and gently depress the plunger to allow him to drink it slowly.

Dose him 10cc every 2-4 hours for the first 48 hours.

If your dog has an appetite, you can mix the AC into canned dog food and make that a bit wetter and sloppier by adding the electrolyte solution to the wet food.

It is key to understand that the virus generally does not kill the dog - its the resulting dehydration that does the damage - so make sure you get those electrolytes down.

If he is taking food and appears to be bouncing back after the first regime of 48 hours, give your dog the wet AC and electrolyte loaded food am and pm for 5 days and up to 7 days. If he is hungry between meals, give him extra AC and electrolyte feedings.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Recovery for a Dog With Parvo

By Sabrina-Nate E. 1

I discovered that my dog had pure blood in his diarrhea. This was 6 days ago, so I took him to the vet Tuesday morning right when they opened. He is 2 years old and I told the vet that I thought he has parvo. He kept telling me no way because it was over a year old.

So what they did is tested him for it. It came back that he had it and needed to be treated for it. So, I left him there and had him treated. It's the 5th day since he has been in there. He hasn't throw up or had diarhea, until yesterday he had diarrhea. He hasn't eaten all week; he has been on fluids.

This morning I called to check on him and they said he hasn't got up or anything. So, I'm very upset over everything. This dog is like a kid to me. I have had him for 2 years. So I decided to go see him and see if that would help. I go up there and as soon as he sees me, he wags his tail non stop. He lifted his head. But that was all he did. He didnt get up or anything.

Do you think this is a sign he will make it? Do you think if he made it at least 5 days that he will make it? Do you think it helped that I went to see him?

By Sabrina

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By holo 1 1 Flag

My puppy had parvo and I went to see him everyday so I think it helped to go see him. Sadly, my puppy died after because the parvo affected his kidneys and they failed on him. If your baby is attached to you then going to see him will definitely help he'll see you're not planning on leaving him there and it will give him hope and a reason to fight. And even if he doesn't make it you can take peace in the fact that you got to see him one last time.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting a New Puppy After Losing One to Parvo

2 weeks ago my Dachshund puppy died from parvo. I bleached my whole yard and now we have decided to buy a Labrador puppy that has been vaccinated. Is it right to buy the puppy?

By Vishal

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Joshua A. 1 03/14/2014 Flag

I'm sorry for your loss. I got a puppy a few years back and she apparently had parvo before we got her. We adopted her from an animal shelter. Our vet advised us to get an adult dog with all vaccinations. Well we did and not a month and a half later she had seven puppies. I did not want her to go back to the animal shelter so we just prayed they would be fine and kept them inside until they were about a month old. They are all almost two years old now and they are quite fine.

When you get your new dog I would make sure the mother had all of her shots and was taken care of properly. A lot of people will tell you parvo lives forever in the dirt and all this but I honestly dont believe it. If your puppy that died was inside at all I suggest you you clean every place your puppy touched with vinegar (I didn't do a thing to my yard).

You can make homemade cleaning solutions with vinegar for your cloth items (couch) if need be. Obviously make sure they get their shots when theyre old enough. This is just speaking from experience. Good luck!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo

I had a puppy that died from parvo. If I get another puppy that already has its shots can it still get the parvo virus?

By NLM from Easley, SC

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Veronica P. 1 04/13/2015 Flag

Yes, they can still get the virus. Just because your dog or puppies are vaccinated don't mean they can't still get the parvo virus. They can. My nine week old puppy needed one more shot and she got hit hard with the parvo virus and passed yesterday. So yes, they still can get the virus!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Transmitting Parvo

I recently pet a dog who has parvo. When I got home I washed my hands thoroughly. Can the parvo virus be transmitted from my clothing? I took the clothes off after I got home. Can that parvo be passed on to my dog even though my dog was no where near the dog. My dog stayed at home.

By Linda M.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Cheryl 3 63 Flag

Yes, parvo can be carried home on your clothing and shoes. You need to take your dog to the vet for parvo vaccinations. Next time, come home, throw all your clothing in the wash, bleach your shoes, and take a shower. Just a note, parvo can live in your house and yard for 7 years. If you have a dog with it, you can never bring home another unvaccinated dog.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Treating a Dog With Parvo at Home

By Nina L. 1

My dog was having the same problem as edawg on here: Do Dogs that Survive Parvo Still Carry the Virus?. I just wanted to know what kind of tube did he use and what kind of antibiotic did he use.

By Nina L.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kim M. 1 05/26/2013 Flag

I just went through the Parvo nightmare. Went to the vet, got Clavamox & Spasmolin. He wasn't drinking. This part is very important: hydration is the key, get a BABY enema, pedolite, any flavor, warm it up a little & give it to your dog every 4 hours. Do this very slowly & get Vita Cal, a very high calorie supplement & give every 8 hours. Something I just came across & will be buying is Colloidal Silver & Parvaid, check out Wolf Creek Ranch.com this is their treatment for Parvo & no vet is needed. Good luck to all :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Understanding the Transmission and Incubation of Parvo

By Beth B. 1

Can a dog be exposed to parvo and not show any symptoms for a month or more? What is the longest incubation period?

Do symptoms differ with the age of the dog involved as in do 8 week old puppies show different or more severe symptoms than a 5 month old puppy?

Can dogs that do not have direct contact with one sick with Parvo contract it through the air?

By Beth B.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By gbk 45 368 Flag

Beth your question is valid but you have to take your pets to vet if you even think they have parvo. If it attacks the intestines they are dead within 24 hours of showing signs. It may not be parvo it may be a number of things that you think are the same as parvo.. Yes it can be spread but thru the years I have found that walking in their own feces is usually root cause unless you bring it in with another animal or you take them where it is. At least take one of them to the vet .....If one is diagnosed then you can treat the others the same.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Can People Transmit the Parvo Virus?

By marcia 2

Can my dogs get parvo off my girlfriend? Her dog has parvo. If so, what home remedy can I use now to eliminate it?

By Marcia from Foresthill, CA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Candy Killion 10 410 Flag

This is a really good link with a lot of information on parvo:

http://www.workingdogs.com/parvofaq.htm#parvo_treatment

People can spread it basically by tracking it into your house or yard on their shoes--it's transmitted through the infected dog's feces. Your dogs shouldn't be around hers--or in her home or yard until her dog gets the all-clear from a vet and she has thoroughly cleaned ( basically everything her dog, your friend and any of her family members has walked on--the house, the yard, interior of vehicles--read the info from the link and you'll get a better idea).

This link and a few others recommend cleaning with bleach, even dousing the grass in the yard. The grass will die, but better dead grass than the 50-50 chance of a parvo-infected dog dying.

If it were me and I was concerned about my dog having contracted parvo, she'd be off to the vet for a test; there's no cure for parvo, and the best that can be done is basically to have the dog on IV fluids while the virus runs its course. I'm no doctor, and personally would not want to do a home remedy for this--think treatment is best left in a vet's hands.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Are There Other Canine Viruses That Resemble Parvo?

By TuckysPaw 1

my dog's parvo test came back negative. Are there any canine viruses that act like the parvo virus?

By TuckysPaw from Il

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By soccergrandma 2 Flag

For those sturdier types that do not have $2000 for the vet treatment, read about how to do it yourself. Do dogs that survive Parvo still carry the virus, answer.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Surviving Parvo

By vicky 1

My puppy (Mia) has been suffering with Parvo for the last 5 days, but in the last 2 she has not shown signs of much improvement but she has not got any worse either. The vets are doing all they can. She is on an IV drip and is going to have a tube put in to help her eat. I was just wondering what her chances of surviving this are and will she suffer all her life if she does recover.

Vicky from England

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By bobbia30 1 Flag

I have a Great Dane puppy that's 4 months old and spent 5 days with the vet. He also was IVS. The vet kept telling my husband and I that there's been no change for 5 days the vet told us this. Saturday I brought my puppy home and only 14 hours of being with our family at home. He started drinking and getting up more. Now he's on the road the a full recovery. If your puppy has made it 5 days or more they are fighting to survive just don't give up.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Transmission of the Parvo Virus

By trueblue 1

Can a dog not have parvo but carry it and another dog get pravo from them?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Information About Parvo Virus

How does parvovirus affect the dog's body?

By Amy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Parvo Symptoms and Cause

By Martha O. 1

My dog was vomiting but no diarrhea yet. Since he looked really sick I took him to the vet and the vet tested him for parvo which came out positive yet no more vomiting and he only had diarrhea one time only and nothing after that. I gave hime lemon juice and Pepto Bismal and after the third day he started to eat on his own with no vomiting. He is up and running, but he still looks a bit sick. I don't know if it was the treatment the vet is giving him since I was taking him twice a day for parvo treatment, but now I am not sure if it's parvo or not. Is there any chance that the test for parvo be wrong and it maybe something else, maybe something he ate that could have made him sick? Does anyone know if this sounds like parvo?

By Martha O.

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Parvo Information

After my 7 month old and my 1 year and 3 month old Chihuahuas got parvo, do I still give them the parvo shot? How long after they recover from the parvo disease do I give them the shot?

By Jackie

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo

This is a guide about getting a puppy after losing one to parvo. Parvo is a very contagious disease, the virus can remain active in your home and yard for some time.

Puppy Smelling Flower

CommentWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Parvo Transmission Information

Can a mother dog carry parvo?

By Kathy

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Load More
                          Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 19, 2013
                          ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
                          A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
                          Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
                          Sick Puppy
                          ParvoBusters Remedies for Parvo
                          Credit Report
                          Providing Information to a Credit Bureau
                          Puppy Smelling Flower
                          © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 5, 2016 at 5:47:03 PM on 10.0.2.77 in 6 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesSolutionsQuestions
                          NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
                          Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
                          BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
                          CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings