Browsing: Information About Parvo

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Information About Parvo

Parvo is a deadly canine virus that infects many dogs every year. There is a vaccine and treatments for dogs who have contracted the virus, as well as, instructions for cleaning up a house or yard after an infection. This is a guide about information about parvo.

dog with parvo
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

August 10, 2016 Flag

My puppy is 4 months old. He has had the runs for the past 3 days. His stool seems almost like water at times and other times it seems a little mucus might be in it. He still drinks lots of water, plays, gums are a nice pink color, he is still eating although slower then normal. Instead of him emptying his bowl in half an hour it takes him almost all day. Does he have parvo? Should be I worried?

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It could be parvo, but it sounds more like he just caught a stomach bug.

Wash all his bedding and bowls. Make sure he doesn't have access to any stagnant water outside. Make sure he hasn't been eating stuff like deer poop, cat poop, fairy ring mushrooms, or anything else that might look tasty to a dog. If nothing else helps, he may have got a bad batch of his food.

August 7, 2016 Flag

My Pit Bull started having symptoms of parvo yesterday with vomiting, blood in poop (looks like straight blood) and wouldn't eat. The vomiting has stopped, but she is still pooping blood. She's drunk water on her own here and there, but hasn't vomited. Is that common if she has parvo? Any info will help.

Please take your dog to your vet immediately to clarify the problem and provide medical treatment. May or may not be the deadly Parvo, however, her symptoms are dire and she needs help now!

November 30, 2015 Flag

On the 23rd my 13 year old dog passed away. Before that she wouldn't eat and was too weak to get up, she would only drink lots of water. She was sick for 2-3 days. Then on the 24th one of my 10 1/2 wk old puppies started vomiting and would not eat nor drink water. So I got scared and thought maybe this is a virus that's going around.

I was so preoccupied trying to care for my older dog I never noticed when he got sick. So I took him to the vet, $200 later, I was broke and he was just getting worse. They gave him a shot for vomiting and told me it could be parvo.

While I was at the vet I got a call from my dad saying that one of my cats had vomited, so I came home and I separated her in a cage and separated my other two cats as well. He stopped vomiting and would drink water, but that night he passed away. After that I cleaned all their bowls with bleach and threw away all their blankets. I went out and got their second set of shots at the store and everyone was fine for 4 days.

Then yesterday one of my other puppies looked sad so I brought her in and put her in a little kennel, I tried to feed her but she wouldn't eat and doesn't drink water, but sticks her nose in it. She went to the bathroom three times already since yesterday, but it was all diarrhea with blood. I can't take her to the vet because I don't have any money, but I've been trying everything at home to save her and now to make things worse her sister is acting strange so I separated her too and the cat that had vomited before is completely fine some how. If I had the money I'd take her to the vet, but I don't think she's gonna make it at this point.

I wanna know how to prevent it from spreading and to help ease her pain or if I can save her. It breaks my heart to see my babies in pain and it hurts even more that no matter how hard I try or what I do they keep getting sick.

About 3 weeks ago a stray dog attacked one of my puppies and broke his neck and injured the brain, $700 later I had to put him down. Even if I had tried to keep him alive the vet said there was little to no chance he'd fully recovery. He was just limp and would groan because he was in so much pain. I'm just so lost and I need help to stop this virus from spreading. Please someone help.

Best Answer

It does sound like your puppies are dealing with parvo. If they haven't completed their shots they are vulnerable. You will need to do a serious cleanup when it is all over or you should not bring an unvaccinated dog into your house. The virus lingers. It does not affect cats. If you have puppies that are suffering you can contact you local humane society for treatment or euthanasia. Most vets don't charge a lot to do this. I have always limited the number of pets I have just because it is so painful to not be able to help them when they need it. Good luck to you.

Read More Answers...

June 2, 2016 Flag

I just ran into a friend at the store. I gave her a hug. As we were talking she tells me that she is treating her home for parvo because she rescued a dog and found out it had parvo. I came straight home and threw my clothes into the wash and I took a shower. My question is,can I spread the parvo virus to my dogs and 1 week old puppies now that I have showered and washed my clothes?

Thank you.... and yes they will be getting there shots when they are old enough

Read More Answers...

February 27, 2016 Flag

My granddaughter purchased 2 puppies from a breeder on Craig's List at 6 weeks old. At 9 weeks the male started having symptoms of parvo. This was verified by a vet and he is in treatment and was quarantined at the vet's yesterday. The sister started vomiting this morning and has been rushed to the vet. Could the pups have had parvo when purchased and it only be showing up now?

You're right. I had the wrong information. They can contract it in utero, but it wouldn't show up so long after. They had to contract it sometime after they got to the home. Assuming it is parvo.

Read More Answers...

April 5, 2016 Flag

The mother had parvo about 3 years ago and now has a litter of puppies. I was told that as long as they were nursing they would be immune to the parvo. My question is what about after they are not nursing anymore. Are they going to have parvo? I'm very scared about this.

It isn't likely your puppies will come down with parvo. The nursing does help their immune system.

Be sure to follow your veterinarian's vaccination schedule. Don't expose them to other dogs until vaccinated. They should be ok.

Read More Answers...

May 10, 2016 Flag

I just agreed to watch my sister's dog for a little while. The dog is about 6 months old and had parvo when it was a puppy. But my roommate has a full grown dog that hasn't had any of her shots, so can she get parvo from being around the other dog if it has had parvo?

I suggest asking your sister's vet about the possibility of your roommate's dog getting parvo. Parvo is so pervasive and deadly! It is unfortunate that your roommate's dog has not had shots!

September 24, 2013 Flag

I found two Boxer mix puppies a few weeks ago on the side of the road. They are brothers and were very skinny, so I don't think they've had their shots. Before I could take them to get them, one of the boys vomited twice last night and had runny stool. I took both of them to the doc and they said it's possibly parvo. So I cooked chicken and rice, he kept it down and is drinking water like usual and is playing around. His stool is green and semi solid now, but no blood. I plan to do the bleach cleaning tonight. Is there any other advice I can get to keep my two pups healthy? The vet said not to separate the boys because they've already been exposed. I just feel so bad. I want to do all I can to prevent the other one from getting it and loosing my other pup.

By Raechel

pedilyte

Read More Answers...

August 25, 2013 Flag

I have the parvo virus in my yard. One pup survived and the other died. If my dog has pups what would the survival rate be for the pups?

By Niomi from Australia

Yes! Get a baby dropper and keep pedialite and water in your dog! If you have omoxicillin or penicillin it will keep the blood from becoming toxic and shutting down the organs. I am going thru this now so I feel your pain! Also use bleach to mop up pee or especially when your dog poops! Clean clean clean! Hydrate Hydrate Hydrate! When u clean up the pee you will know how hydrated he is.hope this helps and God Bless

Read More Answers...

March 31, 2016 Flag

I bought a puppy the day it was born. I also found another puppy who was 10 to 12 weeks old, and adopted her. The 2nd puppy is now in the hospital with parvo. She's been in the hospital almost a week. When can I bring home the puppy I bought? I am supposed to get her the end of April.

Load More
Pets Dogs AdviceAugust 19, 2013
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Sick Puppy
ParvoBusters Remedies for Parvo
Parvoguard
Parvoguard Reviews
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 30, 2016 at 3:18:05 AM on 10.0.1.37 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.