Insulate Windows With Bubble-wrap Year Round

A great way to insulate windows in the winter and summer, is to use Bubble-wrap. It not only insulates, but it still lets light in. It won't grow mold, and can be washed. I put it inside my windows. You can hang it up with just a few tacks or push-pins.

By JLS

Answers:

Great idea, and you can often get it from stores out of their packaging and then re-use. (03/23/2009)

By pamphyila

Very good idea, thank you! I like that it lets light in, but still a bit of privacy, too. Thanks! (03/23/2009)

By Cathy S

I have never tried this, but have read that if you spray the windows with water, the plastic bubble wrap will stick and you won't have to use push pins to hold it up. (03/24/2009)

By susanmajp

Waste of time. Plain bubble wrap has no insulating qualities. There are large areas of the sheet of bubble wrap that is no thicker than a sheet of plastic wrap. There is a product product called Alu-bubble wrap that is layers of bubble wrap and aluminum. (03/14/2010)

By foxrun41

I have heard of this too, but have never done it because there are times in the winter that I like to open a window and let some fresh air in and the way the windows in my apartment are made the bubble wrap get crumpled up. I did put a small piece up to try it and that is what happened. I have also read that putting waxed paper on windows, using the water method is a good way of providing privacy.

I am going to try that on the lower half of my patio door, because it seems like when people walk past they have a real tendency to gawk at the apartments they go past and I don't know how much they can see of my "mess" through the partially open vertical blinds. A lot of the people leave their blinds shut all the time and that would drive me nuts, basically not having any natural light in here at all. I even get irritated on cloudy days. (03/14/2010)

By redhatterb

I used this tip this winter and I am a believer! We have a couple sliders that I bubble wrapped. I can tell the difference and will continue the practice. I just used that tape that is used to apply film to windows. It was easy to install and very inexpensive. I really like this tip. (03/14/2010)

By captarlo

I put this in my bathroom window for privacy, in between inside and storm window. It works great. (03/14/2010)

By dna53

You don't need tacks or tape. All you have to do is moisten the glass and the bubble wrap will stick to it. I didn't have a problem with it falling down either. (03/14/2010)

By Lamico

Now I know what to do with all that bubble wrap I've accumulated over the years! And I like that it doesn't sag like a plain sheet of plastic would.

foxrun41 - it may not be great insulation, but the inside surface of the bubble wrap has got to be a little warmer than the inside surface of the glass in winter. Besides, if you have ancient, old-fashioned window panes like ours, you're probably getting drafts around the individual glass panes, and the bubble wrap will surely help with that!

If anyone wants to improve the insulation of bubble wrap, attach it to the window trim or wall, instead of directly to the window itself. The dead air space will be more effective than just the plastic. (03/14/2010)

By lieast

When the wind blows through our very drafty, old windows in the bedroom, it's like the heat isn't even on! This worked fantastically! I'm going for the living room windows next! (05/11/2010)

By Jeannie B

I live in a double wide mobile home. Would the bubble wrap work on a sliding glass door and the individual windows? Thanks. (11/12/2010)

By redrose51

Lilac Bubble Bath
Lilac Bubble Bath
Cleaning Windows
Cleaning Lawn Service Chemicals from Windows
Toddler with bubbles on hair and end of nose.
Homemade Bubble Bath Recipes
🎉
🎄