I am not sure whether I am allergic to something or if its something else. For several weeks I have been having trouble with my lips. It starts out where they start to itch a little then they get really dry and flaky, then they develop tiny blister like bumps that itch terribly. The closest thing to compare it to is poison ivy. If I keep them slathered with vitamin E lip balm constantly I don't get the blisters. But they still look severely chapped all the time. It's still noticeable even if I wear lipstick. I'm miserable. Please help!
Blake from Poteau, OK
Yes, you could be having an allergic reaction to a number of things, including your lipstick, new allergies can develop in adults, or it could be an oral allergy, something your eating. Try carmex, search www.familydoctor.org and try keeping a record of the things you were doing prior to the breakout. If nothing helps you may want to consider going to the doctor. (01/13/2007)
Try cutting fluoride (water and toothpaste), and caffeine out of your diet for a few days. These are the two biggest culprits for me. (01/13/2007)
I had this happen to me awhile ago, too. I was able to narrow it down to an allergic reaction to Victoria's Secret Heavenly. Too bad because the smell is so nice! If you've begun using something different, remove it. It may not be anything to do with hygiene either. My mom is allergic to random things like certain candle fragrances, and certain rubbers. She got a mouse pad awhile back and that made her break out. My point is, consider everything! (01/14/2007)
Same thing happened to me and it was an allergy to aloe; only around my lips and face. If I used those Kleenex with aloe, or any aloe chap stick, my lips had bumps all over them and they even swelled. Hope this helps! Cindy (01/16/2007)
I had something similar several years ago, and it turned out to be a vitamin B deficiency. I take B Complex now whenever the symptoms come back and it clears right up. (01/18/2007)
It could be herpes simplex virus. You would need to see a Dr. to be sure. This virus is in the chicken pox family. It lays dormant at the end of a nerve and gets woken up when the body is under stress, with such things as emotional stress, illness, etc. Abriva is a great product to use. It does cut the breakout in at least half. I also use Blistex, and camphor oil when I get mine. (01/18/2007)
Your symptoms sound like a food allergy. I was talking to a pal, not long ago, who said she is allergic to peanut butter. She said because she loves peanut butter so much, at used to eat it every day, she got an allergy to it. She said even to this day, sometimes she'll 'forget' and won't even remember it, till her lips break out in blisters and all swollen. My suggestion is to watch what you eat, keep a journal and try to determine what you're allergic to. This is how my pal figured out what she was allergic to. This was what the Dr. had her do. (07/09/2007)
One day I woke and as I was getting ready to go school. I felt two bumps on my lower lip right in the middle. I didn't want to mess with it but of course I did, so it started weeping and I just put burt's bees chap stick. Later I bought some Abreva it seemed to work. My lip didn't look swollen anymore and the scabs fell at this point. I was pretty happy when this occurred but then the next day I got four tiny ones on the side of my upper lip. I've been using abreva and carmex but it does not seem to work am scared that there is more that will appear. What do have? PS they don't hurt. (01/27/2008)
I agree with JM Ross, if it is not Herpes simplex; it still helps it go away faster. It is the only thing I use.
But you still need to check it out to make sure for health reasons. (02/29/2008)
Allergic reaction, is what I had after I ate cake. I had tiny bumps all over my lips. I thought it was a disease, but its not. You probably allergic to a food you never knew you were allergic to. So always wear lip chap to get rid of it. It took me two weeks using lip chap after every 5 - 10 minutes try it. It worked on me! (03/19/2008)
By Bubbles from Florida
Sounds like cheilitis, not angular cheilitis, there's two different kinds, both affect the lips. I think the other is called perioral cheilitis. Look it up. The thing that helped me was calendula cream or ointment. Get it in the health food store. Put it on often and eventually the symptoms go away. It was the only thing that worked. Also keep lips moist with lip balm. The best one is made with shea butter and it called karite gold. Google it and order it. Now I can wear lipstick again. It was a nightmare when I had it. The calendula and lip balm helped. Sleep with the calendula cream or gel, and keep reapplying all day.
I also eliminated anything with sodium lauryl sulfate and flouride. I attributed my cheilitis to either a lipstick allergy or toothpaste. it is hard to find toothpaste without sodium lauryl sulfate, but there are some, one of them being Burt's Bees, that doesn't have flouride of sodium lauryl sulfate. Good luck. (04/09/2008)
I get many small red bumps on my upper and lower lips and they tend to get very itchy. However it seems when I itch them they get even worse! Also my lip line will like extend really high and my lips will look really gross like they were stung by a bee. I don't no but it seems every time I go into my houses pool I get it and hour or two later. Could it be possible I'm allergic to chlorine? (07/29/2008)
This sounds so random but I've been dealing with these blisters on my lips for the past few days and after seeing a Doctor yesterday, he prescribed me something harsher than Valtrex and gave me an ointment called Zovirax. These didn't help in fact the ointment made it worse. He said it may have been an allergic reaction to lip gloss but didn't rule out fever blisters. My lips had been getting worse until I picked up a bottle of Wild Turkey Bourbon called American Honey for a Thanksgiving recipe and thought I would sip on it to see what it would do to my lips (I was desperate by this point).
It instantly worked within two hours. It began killing the blisters. I had cracked dry lips and they were even oozy and swollen. The bourbon gave a little burn at first but after letting it wash over my lips when I continued to sip, it completely began killing the blisters. My lips felt smooth after two hours. Crazy! (11/26/2008)
I woke up one morning with what I thought was a spider bite on my lip. The area was swollen. The next day my lips started to burn a little and I noticed little bumps on the inside of my lip and all over my top lip. They stayed around for about a week, then went away. This happened 3 different times.
Finally I went to the doctor to get a blood test for Herpes to find out if that's the problem. If not, I'll have to look at that whole diet issue. I was eating a lot of junk around the time it happened (particularly honey roasted peanuts and kit kat bars), but I haven't had an outbreak in a couple months. (01/15/2009)
I have had the same problem on and off for about 4 years. I got tested for herpes and it came out negative, the doctor sent me to a dermatologist as well as a allergist. It turns out it was contact dermatitis, in plain words eczema on the lips. The allergist doctor did a patch test to see what I was allergic to.
Then the dermatologist gave me a prescription for something called desonide, this helped clear away the painful red bumps right away! She also recommended I use aquaphor healing ointment for my lips she said its better the Vaseline, it keeps it more moisturized. Also I had to change my toothpaste to Tom's of Maine, its an all natural toothpaste that doesn't contain Sodium lauryl sulfate that can irritate the lips. Also stay away from citric drinks as well as any spicy food. Just remember to keep your lips moisturized! I hope this helped. (05/26/2010)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!