Remedies for Chapped Lips

Category Home Remedies
Especially in the winter when the air is dry and cold, our lips can became painfully rough. This guide contains remedies for chapped lips.

If your lips are peeling and chapped, they are annoying and unattractive. Apply a little vasoline to your lips and use a nail file to gently remove any dead skin. Your lips will feel refreshed and look healthy again. Lip gloss can build up on your lips and prevents normal shedding of dead skin cells.

Source: Wendy Williams Show

By mary jean gerry from Morristown, NJ

If you have really really chapped lips, apply Noxema on them before bed. They will be good as new in the morning

For rough, dry, chapped lips there is nothing better or cheaper than just a little Vaseline petroleum jelly applied to them. It takes very little, Vaseline is not expensive, and it lasts a long, long time.

By Robin

For chapped lips, use pure Vitamin E oil, straight from the cap. It will not harm you when ingested and will heal, softens and adds moisture as well.

Well if you are out and have no chap stick or if you work out in the cold and your lips get chapped try this, it works as well.
Farmers used to do it. Put your finger on the side of your nose, then rub your finger around your lips. It picks up a little of the oil that's naturally there, It is the kind of oil your lips are looking for anyway and they usually get it from contact with adjacent skin. You couldn't get any more home remedy than that.

By Karah B

Sometimes it seems like the lip color stick is causing sore and cracked lips, instead of helping them stay moist and supple. This is a guide about lipstick causing chapped lips.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

I have a real problem with dry, red skin around my lips - especially on the sides. I have used lip balms, vaseline, Aquaphor, plain vegetable oil and nothing seems to be working. Before I end up seeing a dermatologist, has anyone out there had this problem and what helped clear it up? It is downright painful sometimes! Thanks for your input.

mtm from PA

Answers

By barb (Guest Post)

I have used Mary Kay Extra Emoillient Night Cream on my lips for the past 20 plus years.....I keep a small container in my purse, and use it religiously night and day. I have never had dry or chapped lips since using it. It is also really great for little children's cheeks in the winter to prevent chapping. Hope this helps!

By Della (Guest Post)

Hi, I have used Zim's Crack Creme lip formula. I found it at walgreens, rite aid, and kmart. It's the most effective one i've tried. Hope it works for you!

I had something similar years ago and I went to see a dermatologist about it. He watched me as we talked and pointed out I was biting/scraping the sides of my lower lip and just past them as a nervous habit while I talked. I broke that habit and haven't had that trouble since.

Could you be doing something like this unconsciously?

I just read somewhere that any petroleum-based product will dry your lips out, rather than the reverse. Therefore , you should check all products you use on your lips to see if they have petroleum in them; i.e., petrolatum, etc.

Some toothpastes, Colgate Total is one of these, cause a contact dermatitis type reaction if they are not rinsed off your skin completely when brushing your teeth. A dermatologist can help you to get rid of that if your toothpaste is the problem. If toothpaste is not the cause, then maybe it's a REALLY bad case of chapped lips and skin. I've been using Carmex religiously for the last 20 years or so for chapped lips, and I slather it on liberally at night and use it during the day intermittently. It works great with continual use. Good Luck! Tori

By jmouse13 (Guest Post)

I have used Feet Treet from www.aloetherapy.com and it really works great. The base is Aloe Vera and everyone knows how healing Aloe is""

By ShellyE (Guest Post)

Had dry lips so badly years ago they were cracking and bleeding. When all else failed, an old time pharmacist told me to dab on plain white vinegar several times a day. In a few days my lips were back to normal.

Can be caused by sleeping with your mouth partially open.

If you email me your address, I'll send you a sample of my company's Honeydew Lip Balm. Its a wonderfully moisturizing lip balm which is subtly flavored with natural honey, no added sugars or chemicals to worry about! I'm sure it will help. Here's my email address: forgetmenotaroma(at)aol.com.

Marla

http://www.forgetmenotaromas.com - Our fragrances leave lasting impressions.

By Becki in Indiana (Guest Post)

There is a pill you can buy in the vitamin section called Lysine -- a nutritional supplement, I guess you would call it. It will help with cracks at the corners of the mouth, as well as with cold sores and canker sores. Works for me!

By Angelique Framer (Guest Post)

Never use petroleum products on your skin. I agree with the vinegar idea, it is great for the skin. Arbonne international products are petroleum free moisturizers and products that is safe for your skin. Good luck.

I've always heard that products with mineral oil clogged up your skin. Is mineral oil a petroleum product? I've never heard that before about petro products- going to try the vinegar as my lips seem to be falling off in chunks.

Thanks for all the good ideas.

By joyann at psnw.com (Guest Post)

Another possibility is that you may be allergic to the chemical they use in cosmetics for suncreen. Its a fairly common allergy but not a lot of people know about it. When I use any cosmetics with SPF [I cant remember the chemical name] I get a red flaky rash. If your dry lips are also red and sore, also on the skin right around the mouth, this may be your problem. The majority of lipsticks and glosses have SPF. It's hard to find ones that dont give me a rash. Burt's Bees www.burtsbees.com makes a great lip balm with all natural ingredients. Carmex is also good. I mainly use vaseline when I'm at home. Try some plain vaseline for a week or so and no balms or lipsticks. If your lips heal up then you will know what is causing the problem.
Good luck, Joyann

By john (Guest Post)

very dry, scaly lips can sometimes be attributed to lip cancer. slighly extreme, but if you have redness round the lips too, and a weakening of the lip line, you should definitely see your doctor

The outer area around my lips is dry and somewhat bumpy. What can I do to make it better?

By bri dubb from Houston, TX

Answers

I believe your chapped lips have to do with not being hydrated enough. "8-10 oz" per day is not sufficient to be well hydrated. Think 6-8 glasses of 8-10oz to be well hydrated with little activity....more if you are quite active.
The other thing to note is that your lips adapt or get used to chapstick over time, so that your lips stop producing their own protection and pretty soon you end up needing chapstick all the time.

thanks...i use Aveeno, carmex, marykays night cream, aquaphor..have always had this problem. guess i will just keep drinking and applying. take care

By (Guest Post)

chapstick does dry my lips out so don't ever use it, just the above. read that vit E is good so will try it! thanks

I was told that alot of lipsticks that say they are "longlasting" actually dry out your lips so if you are wearing them you need to wear vaseline on your lips at night and when you are not wearing lipstick. That's what I do and also drink tons of water!!

I personaly use Avon`s " care deeply" lip balm
I also use vaseline ,just plain old fashion petroleum* jelly.
I also take meds that dry my lips out and alternate between the 2.Good luck.

By Mary (Guest Post)

Try zinc oxide. Heals & lubricates & Works wonders!