Chocolate is very toxic to dogs. A dog will smell it and chew right through the wrappings of a box of candy under the tree. So, plan accordingly and keep candy in packages and stockings safely out of reach. (P.S. My dog will jump on a table to snatch a treat, so pick a safe place for candy treats.)
I have heard this a number of times, but I also
know from experience that it's debatable.
We had a poodle that weighed 8 pounds.
She got into a 3 pound box of chocolates and
devoured at least 3/4s of the box.
She did not even belch, let alone vomit.
Would this not have been enough to poison her
if chocolate really was toxic to dogs?
We moved away and gave her to friends.
She is still alive and loving chocolate at age 12. (05/11/2005)
We had a dog for 16 1/2 years and she loved chocolate. It never hurt Rags. She loved people food also and we now have a Schnauzer who is 12 years old and Bingo loves chocolate. She also eats people food and snacks on dog food. So maybe the chocolate theory is not applicable to all dogs. Mind you my son had an American Eskimo dog that was allergic to chocolate. So, some can and some can't. (06/24/2008)
Why take a chance that only some dogs are allergic? (07/07/2008)
It is baking chocolate that is poisonous to dogs. 1 ounce per pound of dog. You can research this on the internet. One such link: dogownersdigest.com (10/28/2008)
My mom didn't know about chocolate being poisonous to dogs, so for 5 years she occasionally gave her German Shepherd chocolate treats. He started having seizures when he was about six and died from them by the time he was 7. The vet felt that the chocolate was the culprit. I have heard that their body can't rid itself of the chocolate. It builds up in their system over time and in this case caused epilepsy. It was a very sad and expensive experience for our whole family as he was a really great dog.
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!