Browsing: Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage

Whether it's neighborhood dogs, raccoons or some other animal, if they are getting into your garbage it's bound to be a mess. Keep unwanted animals out of your garbage with these handy tips. This is a guide about keeping animals out of your garbage.

Keeping Animals Out of Your Garbage, Raccoon Scavenging Garbage
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

September 27, 2015 Flag

I have tried to bungee the can to a pole, I have sprayed the can and the trash with lots of ammonia and still I find it all over my yard. They eat through the lids. I do not have a garage or anywhere to keep this trash instead of outside. I am far away from the street so I can't get a metal one as they do not have wheels on them. I am desperate!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

You need to get an animal proof trash can online, since they don't carry them in your area. I live in Colorado and everybody pretty much has to have one.

October 1, 2010 Flag

Recently someone asked about keeping pets/animals from tearing open garbage bags. I don't have that problem now, but I learned this trick from my mother years ago. Before tying off your garbage bag, pour a dab of ammonia in the bag. When an animal tries to tear it open and gets a whiff of the ammonia, it will be long gone.

By knitter926 from Bloomington, IL

October 6, 2008 Flag

We have been having a problem in my neighborhood for the last 2-3 months with some animal (we assume it is a dog) coming in the middle of the night, knocking over trash cans, dragging the trash bag out of it, and then dragging the trash bag into someone else's yard (mostly mine) and digging through the bag.

I have contacted animal control and was informed that the small city that I live in only contracts for 1 hour of county animal control services a month. So they may or may not be able to catch the dog. I have bought dog repellent granules from Home Depot, they worked about 1 week. I have tried black pepper, red pepper and chili powder.

I have sprayed my can repeatedly with bleach which keeps them out of my garbage. I have even sprinkled bleach around the perimeter of my yard. This is getting expensive. Does anyone have any other suggestions? Has anyone tried the ultrasonic dog repellents in the yard, do they work?

Zevia

I have used both ammonia and bleach successfully to keep the animals out of MY trash. However, what do I do about the dogs dragging other peoples trash into my yard. Example today, I cleaned up trash from house #629 on my street and I live at #616. So the animal is not only dragging trash across, but also down the street and goes to the same place in my back yard every time. I have tried mothballs (bought 2 boxes) and they haven't keep the animals out of my yard. And yes they do stink really bad. I have thought about putting a note in all of my neighbors mailboxes about the problem and asking them to spray bleach or ammonia on their trash. I have already done this with my closest neighbors who have also had to clean up garbage. Is this going to far?

I used spray-on oven cleaner. Seems just a tiny bit works well. We had skunks in the neighborhood. After using that, they avoided us.

Ammonia

I don't know what kind of trash can you have.

We have the big heavy duty plastic one with the flip cover.

Well, we had the same problem with animals getting into it so this is what my husband did.

He drilled two small holes, spaced apart, on the front of the cover and two small holes midway down in the trash can and hooked small bungee cords in a crisscross to the holes and we never had an animal touch the trash again.

Plus, they are easy to remove the day the trash company comes to pick up the trash.

Install motion sensor lights or noise machines (discount spooky halloween sound machines are good), or motion sensored sprinkler systems, keep garbage inside garage until trash day, use bungy cords on lids, recycling and composting produces less trash for critters to go through...

Don't use bleach - Toxins produced as a result of bleach use build up in the environment, cause dangers to the water supply, kill fish, harm animals, and get back to people through the food chain.

June 10, 2013 Flag

I live in a wooded area and am aware there is wildlife around. There has been an animal chewing at my trash can lid and took a large portion off of it. I'm wondering what animal would do this. And how I could prevent this from happening again?

By Amy

Dampen the lid and sprinkle with hot pepper powder or sauce. The only animals I know that can't taste heat are birds. It won't kill anything but they will think of your trash is evil. Worked for me when I lived along a lake as the raccons worked at night.

If you live near a zoo, ask if you can have the aggressive animal waist (they are glad to get rid of it) and use it as fertilizer. It worked for me when I lived in the woods (except for the bears) in Wyoming a year.

You can get aggresive animal spray from most home stores.

Also, if it's feral cats, they hate the smell of lemons. Spray or douse with that and see if it helps. Best of luck. Sandi

I would suspect raccoons, however, I do not know how to keep them out. Buy a very heavy duty trash can, maybe?

That did not work for me

March 15, 2007 Flag

Does anyone out there know what I can use to keep the squirrels from eating out of my garbage can... and yes, I do have a lid but that doesn't work.

Adele from Belford, New Jersey

Nice idea to bungee the lids shut - but the squirrels around here CHEW RIGHT THRU THE LIDS! We have gone thru 6 cans in 3 years. They go thru them in a couple days. Any ideas to make them not so TASTY?

Glad to hear we are not the only ones with this problem. We just had to buy two new garbage cans because the squirrels destroyed the lids and handles and cans on three others we had. We also bought one of those heavy-duty, outdoor plastic enclosers for our garbage cans. I read that Cayenne Pepper is supposed to keep them away but we haven't tried that yet. This problem didn't start until we started putting out corn for them. When we didn't keep the corn stocked fast enough for them, they came after our garbage and now we can't get rid of them. I personally advise against providing them any kind of food. --Peoria, IL

Although the clang and bang of metal trash cans on pickup day may awaken you, a metal can with metal lid will insure the little buggers don't ransack your trash cans. We tend to forget they are rodents, and can gnaw their way through just about any material.

I had a old blanket laying around the house I was going to throw out. I drench it with ammonia and cover it over my garbage cans. Then every week I use a spay bottle with ammonia and spray the blanket to keep the smell strong. No problems!

August 23, 2005 Flag

I recently moved to a new apartment. They are supposed to be putting dumpsters in. Until that time, what should I do to keep animals out of my trash? I am getting tired of cleaning up garbage on my back porch every morning...

November 3, 2004 Flag

Does anyone have suggestions for storage of outside garbage? We have a lot of squirrels and my teens don't always put the garbage in efficiently. I was thinking of some kind of little shed but am trying to keep the cost down as 4x8 pressure treated wood is about $25 a sheet-any thoughts?

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control RaccoonsNovember 11, 2011
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer), Man's hands holding a power screwdriver to a garbage disposal.
Repairing a Garbage Disposal (Disposer)
Raccoon looking for goodies in a waste bin
Protecting Wildlife from Your Garbage
A photo fo a carrot growing in a vegetable garden.
Keeping Animals Out of Your Garden
Stuffed Easter Bunny
Refurbishing Stuffed Animals
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 14, 2016 at 1:06:50 PM on 10.0.2.214 in 7 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.