Small Wildlife Getting Into Trash

I recently moved to a new apartment. They are supposed to be putting dumpsters in. Until that time, what should I do to keep animals out of my trash? I am getting tired of cleaning up garbage on my back porch every morning and don't want to invest in a trash barrel that I won't have any use for later.

By Lee (Guest Post)

would it be possible to suspend the garbage bags on a piece of rope? keep it off the ground, that will make it difficult for all but the most agile creatures will be able to get at it

By sandy. (Guest Post)

1st you will probably then have rodents at the dumpster so you will always have something in your area.
you can pour lysol over the bags. they dont like the odor. but i would recomend a trash can really.

By Annette (Guest Post)

Buy a trash can, you can always use it for : out of season clothes, christmas items, storage of extra linens, many more ideas. I'm going to wallmart today they have one for about $5.00 and one for $10.00 a little sturdier.

By Becky (Guest Post)

I agree with the others about getting a trash can, however if the animal is determined it will find a way to get into the can. We would always put the lid on our trash can and ferral cats would always find a way to get into them.

Then one day I sprayed the bag with amonina (sp?) before I put it in the can and I've never had a problem since. But you do have to spray your bags before you put them in the can each time.

We have bear in our area and my friend uses ammonia in a spray bottle and sprays her trash can. When she puts a bag in, she sprays the bag and then sprays the outside of the can. She hasn't had any problems with any critters in her trash. Maybe you can spray inside the bag and then spray a rag and keep it on top of the trash bag. I don't know how strong the odor will be for you since it is on your porch. Good luck.

By Brian W. (Guest Post)

Like the man said, hang it up off the ground. A nail and a coat hanger, whatever works. Good luck