Browsing: Keeping Chickens Out of Your Garden

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Chickens Out of Your Garden

Many chicken owners prefer to have them wander free range, at least part of the time. Even though the girls will help keep garden pests down they can do damage to your garden and flower beds. This is a guide about keeping chickens out of your garden.

A free range chicken on a farm.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 2, 2015 Flag

backyard gardenI have a neighbor that has chickens and they are free range. I plant a garden every year and it is about 20' by 25'. Every year those damn birds eat more of my crops than I do and yes I have put up chicken wire and it does not work. Any suggestions on how to keep them out? Thanks.

By Ron

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Motion activated sprinkler.

http://www.youpest.com/-p-25453.htm ... amp;gclid=CI7ipL-z28QCFQ6MaQodgWIAVA

It attaches to your hose and will spray the chickens when they come within range. No harm no fowl!

I use stiff bird netting at least 2 feet tall staked by weaving short bamboo stakes. Freezer baskets over plants.....Chickens won't eat tomato plants but they scratch the heck out of them.....so I cut the bottom out of black plant pots and place around the base of each when planted & push them down into the dirt about 1" or so. The pots warm the plants when they're young and also help runoff of water. Then there's the pecking at red fruit. Light weight bird netting is easy and they hate it.

train your dog to chase them

if you use 5 feet or 6 feet chicken wire it works

Read More Answers...

July 1, 2007 Flag

I have a client I work for who has chickens, hens, roosters and ducks. She has also planted a garden and the animals are eating/ruining her tomato plants. Is there a way for her to keep them away from her garden, short of keeping them cooped up? She likes to let them out to roam during the day. Thanks for any help on this.

jmz2005 from Illinois

Best Answer

Either coop up the animals or coop up the plants.

Best Answer

I have planted my garden in cages, my chickens run free, I have learned how long their necks are. I have purchased the framing for canapés and put them around my garden, I have pig fence 3 ft. high and plastic bird netting the upper 3 ft.

I have bantys, they fly, between clipping wings and an overhang of netting here and there I actually have a bird free garden, I have several little gardens all over my backyard 16 x16, 8 x 12, 6 ft. round for beans, this is the only way I have been able to garden with my birds, Chris Cross on the framework I grow radishes, green onions, parsley, basil, and of course strawberries in hanging baskets, it's a bit crowded but at least I have my garden.

Best Answer

I have my garden on the other side of the fence, I have free range chickens, ducks, and geese, They have a acre; I got a space as big as your kitchen table for my garden, think there's somthing wrong with this picture. But I do have a weed free lawn out of it, with only 2 geese, 2 hens, and 6 ducks. They are so funny at the best of times they make the world a better place just watching them.

My problem was a little different, but the solution might also help in this case. Everyday, the chickens were making a mess by scratching the mulch up in my flower bed. But,I believe I have found a great solution! I stuck a long twig (about 3-4 tall) in the ground and tied a shiny aluminum pan to it. When the wind blows, it spins and bangs against the twig. Then I added 2 shiny pinwheels in the mulch around the edges of the area which is about 10 x 12. Has been about 2 weeks and so far, this solution has worked like a charm. Cheap and no ugly fence!

Read More Answers...

March 27, 2014 Flag

Plant marigolds and spray vingear around the area you don't want your chickens to play, or destroy, LOL.

May 12, 2012 Flag

I need to know how to keep chickens out of my garden.

By Jean from Hoosick Falls, NY

You don't say how big your garden is but maybe driving some wood stakes in the ground around the perimeter of the garden and then attaching chicken wire to the stakes. When you are finished your garden will be ringed with chicken wire and that should keep the chicks out.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJanuary 17, 2013
    multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
    Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
    curved flower beds
    Shaping Flower Beds
    Chickens in a Garden
    Benefits of Chickens for Your Garden
    Pet chicken in the backyard.
    Pet Chickens Information and Photos
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 9, 2016 at 4:21:21 PM on 10.0.2.62 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.