Browsing: Keeping Chickens Out of Your Garden

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Chickens Out of Your Garden

Many chicken owners prefer to have them wander free range, at least part of the time. Even though the girls will help keep garden pests down they can do damage to your garden and flower beds. This is a guide about keeping chickens out of your garden.

A free range chicken on a farm.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 2, 2015 Flag

backyard gardenI have a neighbor that has chickens and they are free range. I plant a garden every year and it is about 20' by 25'. Every year those damn birds eat more of my crops than I do and yes I have put up chicken wire and it does not work. Any suggestions on how to keep them out? Thanks.

By Ron

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

Motion activated sprinkler.

http://www.youpest.com/-p-25453.htm ... amp;gclid=CI7ipL-z28QCFQ6MaQodgWIAVA

It attaches to your hose and will spray the chickens when they come within range. No harm no fowl!

train your dog to chase them

if you use 5 feet or 6 feet chicken wire it works

Bologna! My chickens are destroying my and my neighbors tomatoes

Read More Answers...

July 1, 2007 Flag

I have a client I work for who has chickens, hens, roosters and ducks. She has also planted a garden and the animals are eating/ruining her tomato plants. Is there a way for her to keep them away from her garden, short of keeping them cooped up? She likes to let them out to roam during the day. Thanks for any help on this.

jmz2005 from Illinois

Best Answer

Either coop up the animals or coop up the plants.

Best Answer

I have planted my garden in cages, my chickens run free, I have learned how long their necks are. I have purchased the framing for canapés and put them around my garden, I have pig fence 3 ft. high and plastic bird netting the upper 3 ft.

I have bantys, they fly, between clipping wings and an overhang of netting here and there I actually have a bird free garden, I have several little gardens all over my backyard 16 x16, 8 x 12, 6 ft. round for beans, this is the only way I have been able to garden with my birds, Chris Cross on the framework I grow radishes, green onions, parsley, basil, and of course strawberries in hanging baskets, it's a bit crowded but at least I have my garden.

Best Answer

I have my garden on the other side of the fence, I have free range chickens, ducks, and geese, They have a acre; I got a space as big as your kitchen table for my garden, think there's somthing wrong with this picture. But I do have a weed free lawn out of it, with only 2 geese, 2 hens, and 6 ducks. They are so funny at the best of times they make the world a better place just watching them.

Going to try it I also use the motion sensor sprinkler to keep them off my back Porch and it works fantastic

Read More Answers...

March 27, 2014 Flag

Plant marigolds and spray vingear around the area you don't want your chickens to play, or destroy, LOL.

May 12, 2012 Flag

I need to know how to keep chickens out of my garden.

By Jean from Hoosick Falls, NY

You don't say how big your garden is but maybe driving some wood stakes in the ground around the perimeter of the garden and then attaching chicken wire to the stakes. When you are finished your garden will be ringed with chicken wire and that should keep the chicks out.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceJanuary 17, 2013
multicolored flowerbed on a lawn
Preventing Weeds in Flower Beds
curved flower beds
Shaping Flower Beds
Chickens in a Garden
Benefits of Chickens for Your Garden
Pet chicken in the backyard.
Pet Chickens Information and Photos
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 9, 2016 at 3:41:26 PM on 10.0.1.134 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.