Pet Chickens Information and Photos

Category Birds
Keeping chickens as pets has become more popular as many urban households have begun to raise backyard chickens as pets and for the eggs. This is a page about pet chickens information and photos.

Apple cider vinegar is loaded with vitamins and minerals. So it's perfect for adding to your chicken's water in moderation. Plus, because of the acidity in it, it helps in preventing algae from growing in your water. But you will want to buy the organic unfiltered kind, because when it's nonorganic it means that it has been pasturized, completely killing all the nutrients. You will want to add 1 TBS per 1 gallon. Note: Do not use in metal water containers.

Source: Backyard Chickens.com

If you have chickens, when you get done pulling weeds, toss them in their chicken coop. Chickens are especially fond of dandelions.

I always decorate our rooster Phoenix's pen with swim noodles. I usually build colorful arches by securing each end of the swimming noodle over two branches I push into the ground. Well, I had an extra one so I just laid that one in his pen by the opening to the crawl space where he goes at night. There are old recliners in there, and other places to sit on.

I saw that when the ground is hard and colder he enjoys sitting on these. I am sharing a picture of our Phoenix on his swim noodle. He will stay there for hours watching everything and pecking the dirt and doing his bowing trick he loves to do when he sees anyone walk by. :)

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this page.

Photo Description
I save my food scraps to take to my neighbor's chickens. There is one little hen that gets out of the pen most every day. When she sees me coming, she runs down the path to meet me and follows me to the pen. She lets me pick her up and put her over the fence back into the pen. She wants to eat too.

Photo Location
North Carolina

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 14

Photo Description
I save my food scraps to give to my neighbor's chickens. Mama hen gets all excited when she sees me coming and from her actions, she's telling me to hurry up.

I pitch the scraps in the pen and she steps back and tells her babies to eat first. It's so sweet.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 7

My daughter bought the chickens for us from a rescue centre a few weeks ago. These ladies are only just starting to learn how to have fun after being kept in tiny cages.

They like to hide under bushes and come out to eat grass and scratch around in the autumn leaves.

Amber and Pearl two red rescue chickens

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Peanut, P. Nut or Mr. P. Nut is about a 9 month old red and white male cat. He was just a baby when I saw him at the shelter and he stuck his paw out at me. He had the screaming "Me-mes". He would not stop hollering and howling.

Black and white rooster sitting above cpmputer screen

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Seeing the greens around with this colorful Malaysian bred chicken is such a wonderful morning view. It's fresh and soothing to the eyes. What I like most about this photo is the chicken being caught in the act of keeping a nice posture as it feeds.

And it felt like I had just a wonderful day seeing this!

Malaysian Bred Chicken  - eating

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Early summer 2016. I had just planted my curly kale seedlings and one cheeky nosy chicken hops over to investigate. Looking forward to growing more in 2017.

Gardening with the Chicken - black and white chicken near kale patch

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Our chickens live in our front yard. They like to be by the front gate so they can meet and greet everyone. Their yard is around a giant oak tree, so we feed not only the chickens there but the squirrels, birds, and a rat or two.

Six chickens in a yard behind a chain link fence.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

We got Louise from a friend.

Becca holding Louise

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Snickers is a 3 year old Japanese Silkie Chicken. I used to raise them until 2 years ago, when I had to move to the city. He loves to cuddle on my lap especially while I am crocheting.

white silky chicken

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

Our chicken and her newly hatched chicks found their way into our garden and started to look for some food.

photo of baby chicks

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

This is one of my favourite pictures. Our granddaughter Morgan just loved our chickens, as this picture shows! She lives in a big city, so for her, this acreage and rural living was quite different.

girl with chicken

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

My daughter's "pets" are not typical. She has a dog, but she also has a Shamo chick that was the runt and needed to be raised in her room for proper care. Then there's the one-footed rooster (look closely) who lost his foot in a mishap and even wore a miniature Converse shoe from a key chain for awhile!

Some Unusual Pets (Chick and Rooster)

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

Chickie is a 3 month old Ameraucana/EE Chicken. My niece received her for Easter.

Chicken laying down

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

One hen in the flock was curious about the camera!

Hen eyeing the photographer.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

My daughter hatched these chicks out for her 1st and 2nd grade classroom this month. It was an amazing opportunity for us all to see!

Newly Hatched Chicks - black and yellow baby chicks

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 3

These are Tractor Supply babies. There are 3 black and white chicks and 3 yellow chicks. Two of them have homes to go to when they are older. The rest are staying with us.

Phoenix and His Chicks

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1

These sex linked chickens are a popular backyard breed. These red hens are friendly and inquisitive. The adult hen weighs about 5 pounds and is a prolific layer of large brown eggs.

This page contains gingernut ranger information and photos.

Red chicken isolated on a white background.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? 1

This is a page about salmonella concerns with backyard chickens. Salmonella is not just an issue with commercially raised chickens.

Two chickens in the backyard garden.

Read More... Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Pets BirdsMay 31, 2013
💘
🍀

Generated 2020-01-27 09:10:36 in 3 secs. ⛅️️ ⚡️