Keeping Hair Out of Your Shower Drain

Category Plumbing
Finding a good way to keep hair from going down the drain is important. This guide is about keeping hair out of your shower drain.

Place an old, used fabric softener sheet over the drain. The hair will stick to the sheet, allowing the water to flow smoothly down the drain. When you're done, just toss the sheet into the wastebasket.

By Lynda from Kearny, NJ

I found this extremely helpful as I am in Mexico....I do not have a dryer sheet, I improvise with a hand towel - there is no need to purchase a product, this method is effective, free, does not harm the environment nor the animals upon which products are tested and is overall quite practical....Thank You!

My husband and I have been blessed with thick hair, which we wear rather long, but this posed a problem with our older home's shower plumbing. Tired of seeing him having to snake out the drain every few weeks, I purchased the old fashioned steel mesh drain cups and placed it in our shower. We were astonished at the fast collection of our hair and we are happy to report that it's been four years since having to snake the plumbing!

By Trisha from Ventura CA

As a former property manager, I used to purchase these in a set of three at the dollar tree and gave them as a move in gift basket present for new residents.

There was one for the kitchen and bathroom sink, and the tub. Once a week, you simply take it out and remove the hair. They are amazing.

Place a piece of scrunched up nylon netting into your shower drain to stop hair from going down the drain. When you pull the nylon netting out, the hair will come out with it!

By CDR

How do I stop my hair from clogging the drain in the shower? My hair that comes out in the shower is continually blocking the drain in the shower of our family bathroom? Cleaning it out is hard and often involves cleaning out some of the pipes too.

Emily from Melbourne, Australia

Sheilamay has the right idea as far as I'm concerned. If you can't find a mesh drain cover you can easily make one from a little square of window screen. Just use needle nosed pliers to turn the edges and corners down and fit it into the drain. Mine has a large-holed cover that allows hair to go into the pipes..not sure why it's even there. Maybe to stop the soap from going down! This should work for you.

I use a mesh strainer. Also, every month or so I take a piece of wire with a 1/4" crook in it. I use a clothes-hanger wire and I lower that into the drain and scrape the side, bringing the wire up each time. I get a lot of hair and gunk out that way. The screen is the first line, the wire is the second, if that doesn't completely work I use a rubber bell-type plunger. After that, it's the plumber.

Go to the local Walmart or even the dollar store. They have these little strainers that are mess and can be used--this is what I have used for years. Pick it up, wipe it clean, replace when needed. $1.

Hi, Emily,

These mesh hair-catchers do work! But how about brushing your hair really well before you get into the shower -- much less is likely to be shed that way.

Good luck,

Nancy in NC

People like me with extremely thick and curly hair, can not brush until they've showered.

I am most pleased about the hair catcher I put in my bathtub drain. It is a wire basket that fits right into the drain. It can be purchased for $2-3 in a hardware store. It saves me from having to use a drain opening product every few months.

By Donna Hunt from Mpls., MN

Answers:

Hair Catcher for the Drain

I did the same with a plastic one that doesn't sink into the drain, but covers the top of the drain in a large marshmallow shape. Got it from a mail order catalog and can't recall which one. You can probably find one locally without having to pay for shipping.

This gizmo catches a lot of hair and as I have long hair, apres each shower I mentally thank myself for having the insight to place one of these over the drain because I think about how much I have saved by not requiring the drain cleaning company.
(02/07/2006)

By cookwie

Hair Catcher for the Drain

I just use part of a plastic "scrubber" (02/15/2006)

By

How do you keep hair out of the shower drain?

Thomas

Answers:

How Do You Keep Hair Out of The Shower Drain

They sell strainers for this. You can buy them in WalMart and Target, and almost any place. They will be on the aisle with the toilet brushes, soap dishes and other bathroom stuff. If you have a choice get one made of soft plastic. You can smush those right into the drain. The hard plastic ones tend to pop out. (08/11/2007)

By perfume and powder

Empty after each use or the drain becomes very slow. (08/14/2007)

By cookwie

I have very fine hair and the plastic strainers did not do so well for me. Look for the metal strainers which are made of a finer mesh and catch everything. Target, Home Depot, Lowe's, and many of the dollars stores carry them. Either one, however, is better than a clogged drain. (08/14/2007)

By Sheilamay

Use a scrubby made of nylon net! Cheap. (08/14/2007)

By Lindajean