Keeping Mosquitoes Out of a Pond

backyard pond
Mosquitoes unfortunately will lay their eggs in backyard ponds. This is a guide about keeping mosquitoes out of a pond.

For Mother's Day, my son gave me and 6'x10' pond for my small back yard. After a short while, my daughter noticed a slew of mosquito 'tadpole' like larva swimming to the surface. I called a local nursery and they told me that they carry a product called "mosquito Dunks". I crumpled one up (Don't know if you're suppose to crumple or not), but after doing that and turning on the pond pump, my pond was not only rid of the mosquito larva (day or two for all) but the pond cleared up as well. If anyone is interested, they come six to a packet. (NO...I do NOT sell them).

Thank you.

By Mary

How do I get mosquitoes out of my outdoor pond? I have goldfish and lilies growing in the pond.

By K

If winters are not too cold in your region you could use fishes called mosquito fish to control the mosquito larvae in your pond as they eat the larvae.

I don't think you will because bugs draw to standing water areas. If the water does not circulate it may become stagnant drawing more in. Possibly adding something to circulate the water or a filtering system may cut back on the bug supply.

The plus side is that your local frogs will enjoy eating them. You may be able to reduce your Mosquito population by adding some herbs around your pond. Lemon balm, and other kinds that may have a strong citrus like odor. Most bugs don't like Lemon Balm. It is also eatable and is used in salads, and brewed in tea.

Other herbs create different possibilities. Like peppermint cut back on the mice. They don't like peppermint! The plus side is if a pond has fish, the water has a good supply of fertilizer. If you have sea weed, it is good for your tomato plants.

Good luck with your pond, & Happy Gardening!