Browsing: Keeping Pets Warm in Winter

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Keeping Pets Warm in Winter

Making sure your pets are comfortable when the weather gets cold is important. This guide is about keeping pets warm in winter.

Dog Coat for Cold Weather
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 11, 2010 Flag

I have a Rat Terrier who lives outside. Is there a way where I can keep her warm, inexpensively?

By Kayla from southern IL

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

As a passionate animal lover I have to agree with the others here. I can't for the life of me understand why any human would keep any fur baby out in the cold 24/7, period. :(

It amazes me too ... bring your dogs inside. Be humane!

I am chiming in on this one ... a rat terrier being kept outside in the winter is abuse, plain and simple. That poor thing, alone on the most frigid of nights while his/her owners are enjoying the warmth and comfort of an indoor "home". Get that dog inside! I am appalled!

The only abuse here is the cruel reply designed to make a caring dog owner feel guilty. There are many happy outside terriers. Build a nice, properly snug size doghouse and save up $90 for a HoundHeater or equivalent.

Read More Answers...

December 22, 2010 Flag

I have a great way of keeping my dogs' bed warm. I have an electric "throw" blanket. I got mine at Walmart, and have seen them at Target and K-Mart too, even Big Lots. I put it on the floor underneath my dogs' bed and turn it on low. Then I put a small lightweight blanket on top of the bed. I have the ones they sell at Walmart for $6 right now. One is plenty for my 2 Dachshunds.

The electric blanket keeps the bed at just the right temperature for them on a cold night, and doesn't cool off over time like a hot water bottle would. It only costs pennies a day to keep it on. And the blanket on top holds the warmth in so they aren't warm on their bellies and cold on their backs. My babies love it.

Also, by putting it underneath their bed, it keeps them from tearing the blanket up when they are scratching around to get comfortable like dogs do. Their bed protects the blanket.

An added advantage: They aren't sneaking up into my warm bed after I go to sleep! (Not that they aren't welcome, but they love their bed). They've learned that if they get too warm, they come out from under the blanket and lay on the floor for a little while. Then when they get chilly again, they nose their way back under the blanket and onto the nice warm bed.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

October 24, 2011 Flag

Jack Russell and Yorkie in their warm coats.I had 3 doggies at one time, and getting them winter coats was a bit costly. So at an after-Halloween costume sale, I scored big and saved lots. I purchased several pet/dog costumes for $1.00 to $3.00 each. I looked for outfits that came with warm coats.

For the Yorkie, I purchased an adorable lion outfit with cap and coat. For the Jack Russell, I purchased an adorable unicorn outfit with cap and coat. For the Bichon-Malti-Poo mix, I purchased a tiger outfit, again with cap and coat.

These coats were thick and warm. They were easy to put on with Velcro tabs and well made. I think it was the Target after Halloween sale and I waited till it was 90% off.

I also buy doggie clothes like sweaters and t-shirts out of season at clearance prices. I know it sounds silly, but my doggie loves his warm clothes on cold days. Since he insists on coming with us on outings in winter and it gets cold in the car, someone stays in the car with him to make sure he is warm. I will try to attach one pic of the Jack Russell and Yorkie in coats.

BTW, we were trying to take a photo of Cookie the Jack Russell, alone and at the last second Oso the Yorkie, snuck in to steal the spotlight!

By Annie from Columbia, MO

October 13, 2011 Flag

We have 2 dogs and 2 small birds. During the winter at night we don't heat the whole house. We have an electric blanket on our bed and our dogs have an electric blanket under their bed with a blanket on top, too.

July 3, 2007 Flag

So my parents have agreed to let me get a dog except my mom doesn't want the dog to be inside, even in the winter. We plan to put the dog in the garage except it's not insulated or connected to the house. We are going to give an enclosed space in the garage to the dog, and provide blankets, a heated bed and a dog house, of course, but is that enough? We aren't sure how to keep the dog warm in the winter.

Ashley from Utah, Salt Lake City

I think it is a lot of bunk to say a dog has to live inside. I agree during harsh weather conditions it is necessary to make sure your dog is taken care of. A dog is a pet not a member of the family. It is not a human. Applying human ethics to animals does not make sense.

you can also use straw to keep a dog warm in the winter time. we have a german shepherd and she doesn't like to be in the house so we got her a dog house and put straw in it for the winter time and she does great

good luck

I have 4 spinone's and a westie. The westie comes indoors at night but sleeps with the spinone's during the day. The spinone's sleep in converted stables but have elevated beds with a dog heater over each bed. They also have a gas fire when the temps are cold. They have a radio and tv with aerial. The TV is really for me as I sit with them in the evening until their last let out time. They have a large paddock to run in which is securely fenced and I have a seperate garden which is completely open to a river. Ducks etc live on the river bank and the dogs sit and watch them. The third stable has been converted into a wash/grooming room just for the dogs which is also heated. They have air conditioning for the summer. We only have a 2 bedroom cottage but lots of land. We moved to this property purely for the dogs. If you decide to keep dogs it must be for the full duration of their lives and their lives should be lived to the full!

I think that keeping an outdoor dog warm in the winter is very easy to do! My parents won't let me keep our female black lab inside, but we have done a wonderful job of keeping her happy outside in the winter. She was born in a barn, and we made our own dog house for her! It is very well insulated on every side, has a tilted roof, and lots of hay inside to keep her warm!

Then she has an area that is fenced in for her to poop in or just walk around. We clean up her poop every day, provide her with food and water that's fresh and unfrozen, and in the harsh winter nights that are freezing we put her in a kennel in the garage.

Keep in mind that to keep a dog warm in the winter, they will need exercise! Get your snow gear on and run around with your dog and provide an adequate amount of love for your dog. Honestly, it isn't cruel, it is a way of life for dogs, they used to live outside before they were made pets, and now keeping them happy and warm outside is very possible! Good luck :)

Read More Answers...

September 29, 2013 Flag

How can I keep my neighbor's dog warm this winter? They keep her outside year round and never pay attention to her. I go out several times a day and play and pet her and just sit with her. I also feed her and give her water; her owners do nothing for her. She's 15 years old, a German Shorthaired Pointer.

By Jody

Sorry Jody I flew off the handle thinking about this poor dog. Report them to animal welfare or sneak over there in the middle of the night and take the dog to an animal rescue shelter. Good luck.

As the other posters have said, offer to take this dog into your home. If the current owners refuse your offer, report them to the local animal authorities, and also to a breed rescue group.

If the dog is confiscated by the local authorities make sure they know you want to adopt her otherwise they may decide to put her down owing to her age; if she is rescued by a breed rescue group (who will take mixed breed dogs by the way) let them know you want her otherwise they will find her a new furever home where she will be loved and properly cared for during whatever time she has left.

Bless you for caring, please update us so we know what has happened to her!

Get an infrared flood light bulb(100-300 watts depending on the distance of the bulb from the pet) and an out door clamp lamp and securely set it up and aim it at where she sleeps. Turn it on at night time and off in the morning. Plus infrared light has great therapeutic benefits for aging pets! (Google infrared light therapy for pets) also try outdoor electric or self heating blankets/beds or pet coats.

Ps. You have a kind heart and it is wonderful of you to care so for a dog that's not yours. I as well find myself doing the same for pets that are neglected by my neighbors. Have you thought about adopting her yourself? If my other recommendations in the previous post are too costly (but the infrared light you can make for under $15) try googling something along the lines of "inexpensive or thrifty ways to keep an outdoor pet warm" good luck!

Read More Answers...

September 30, 2004 Flag

Old "egg crates" (mattress pad) can be cut to help winterize your dog house. Cut the foam to fit the sides and roof of your dog house and staple in place. This will help keep your best friend warm when he has to be outside.

December 18, 2013 Flag

Does anyone have a good idea what to use in a dog pen to keep a dog warm, dry, and comfortable (something recyclable?)

Black and white dog.

Load More
Pets AdviceOctober 17, 2012
White Folder Comforter
Cleaning Comforters
Cold frame and glass cloches for plant protection.
Preparing Your Garden for Winter
Saving Money on Winter Vacations, Snowman and Snowwoman Enjoying the Pool and Warm Sun Together
Saving Money on Winter Vacations
A Shar Pei dog under a blanket.
Keeping a Dog Warm at Night
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 8:54:36 PM on 10.0.1.174 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.