Keeping Rabbits Out of Your Garden

Although cute, rabbits can be a real pest in the garden. They can quickly devour all of the plants you are growing. This is a guide about keeping rabbits out of your garden.

May 17, 2007 Flag

Tips for keeping bunnies out of gardens from the ThriftyFun community.

Use Hair Clippings

Go to your local hair salon and ask them for a bag of hair sweepings. Get a large bag full and spread it around the perimeter of your garden. You may have to repeat this after each rain fall but as a hair stylist, I know that we always have plenty to spare at the shops where I have worked. Many folks around my town know that animals do not like the scent of humans and will avoid it at all costs. Also, the hair is biodegradable and will nourish you garden as well. This is free and a easy solution to prevent wild critters from entering your garden.

By Honeydoya

Chicken Wire

Surround the garden with a chicken wire fence. Bury about 4-5 inches of it into the ground to keep bunnies from digging under it.

By Carol

Sweet Alyssum

I was told that bunnies don't like sweet alyssum because of the sweet scent. Where I live, we don't have a rabbit problem. Just scatter the little white seeds among the plants, they re-seed and grow with no problems.

By Rosebud

Bunnies do not like marigolds. You could plant them around the edge of your garden!

By michelle h

Bury A Bottle

I've heard that planting an empty beer or soda bottle wih just enough of the neck exposed for the wind to make it whistle will scare them away.

By Siris

Plastic Snakes

I read that if you purchase a couple of plastic snakes from the dollar store and put them into your garden, it will keep the bunnies from entering the area. Good Luck.

By Watinwood

Several Bunny Proofing Ideas

I have heard that you can put hot sauce in a spray bottle with some water on the plants and that can ward off their little taste buds. I have also heard to buy plastic snakes and put them in the garden. I haven't personally tried either one. I usually put up a wire bunny proof fence bought at the local hardware store. This year my husband cut the bottoms out of some 5 gal. buckets and placed them over the tomato plants while they were still small. Push them down a tad bit into the dirt. This kept the plants out of reach. Typically, I only seem to have trouble with my tomato plants, not my lettuce, which you think would be the main problem.

By momof2girls

If you're not thrilled about spreading your hair clippings around, human urine works as well. I try to remember to take a late-evening whiz in the mulch near my Asian Daylillies every now and then. The local rabbit now understands that it's my territory and doesn't munch on them anymore.

Wolf urine works too, but it's very inconvenient to chain a wolf in your yard and force him to drink coffee. I haven't tried it.

By Backyardigan

Trust me! Rabbits like marigolds, particularly the large light yellow ones. I could send you photos of my once beautiful marigolds that have been "decapitated". Once the flowers were gone, they went for the green. I'm down to nubs in places. I'm gong to build cages around them, and see how that goes. I decided I would take the ugly cages and be a little creative. Take some gems and wire and dangle them from the wire.

I just planted marigolds as a deterrent. At least I'm prepared for them to be gnawed to the dirt one morning.

I have tried everything short of erecting a fence to keep rabbits (and cats) out of my yard and garden. (water blaster, paintball gun, slingshot, bb gun, cayenne pepper, Critter Ridder, hair, urine).

This year I am trying the Zest/Ivory shavings and laying chicken wire.

The rabbits and cats are definitely a pain! I wish my neighbours would quit feeding them and not scaring them away!

Like other posters, the rabbits (and some cats) just sit there in my garden happily munching away calming looking at freaking out and they are mocking me. :(

November 10, 2009 Flag

They are cute and fuzzy, and only too eager to share the fruits of your gardening labor. Nothing is more frustrating than watching your hard work literally get nipped off at the bud. Here are some tips for helping you win the war against rabbits.

May 2, 2004 Flag

Dried blood should be available at your local garden store. It is a biproduct of cattle beef processing. It comes in a powdered form and is effective for discouraging deer and rabbits from eating your plants.

In a large bucket, combine dried blood and water until dried blood is disolved. Apply using a spray bottle or garden sprayer.

Caution: Use this solution sparingly. The nitrogen in the dried blood may burn your plants if it gets too concentrated. You can also try sprinkling a little dried blood mixed with bonemeal around threatened plants.

Sources: Rodale's Book of Practical Forumulas

Received by email: The dried blood solution to repel rabbits, will that harm my dogs or cat in any way?

We don't believe so but it would be best to check the package and see if there are any pet warnings.

Im a shark fisherman and use dry blood when I fish is the blood that is used for repelling dear and rabbits the same

October 9, 2009 Flag

How do we keep the rabbits from eating the bulbs I plant for next year's growth?

By Rox from Champaign, IL

Thank you, that is a great idea.

Best Method Ever

All my friends and their parents use this method and not only do they have zero problems, but their plants are bigger and happier, too. First step -find someone with a pet rabbit. Go to for a state by state listing of rescue chapters. They would be happy to hook you up with someone in your city. Second - ask for a ziploc bag of poop. Don't worry, it does not smell. It's dry and crumbly and pellet shaped. Scatter these pellets around or through your veggie patch and voila, no more wild rabbits.

Why this works? Rabbits are very territorial and will fight to the death in many cases over land. Since domesticated rabbits are much larger than their wild cousins, a wild rabbit will see the poop (or smell it a long ways off) and give your plants a wide berth. The poop tells them a giant rabbit lives there and they will want nothing to do with your plants! Also, rabbit pellets make great fertilizer that will never, ever, burn your crops. It's a win-win situation.

I have a House Bunny who's litter box is just like a compost bin. He makes my yard happy and is the best companion I've ever had.

October 1, 2004 Flag

Use empty gallon milk jugs for back yard planting season. The rabbits would eat all our new pepper plants. The only way to keep them away was to cut off the bottom and top of the milk jug and bury the wide bottom part in the ground a couple inches. Sunlight and rain could come in from top and rabbits somehow didn't bother the plants. It worked every year.

By LadyD

you can also use the milk jugs to addwater and fertilzer to your plants. Saves water and I put Miracle grow in the container then water. Saves time and reduces weeds around the plant because the weeds get less water.

I also use milk jugs with bottom and tops cut off, and placed at angle on the side of my tomatoes, jug angled at the roots. Saves me time watering, fertilzering and weeding. The plants seem to grow better due to all the water going to the roots.

August 13, 2011 Flag

How do you get rid of bunnies in a garden?

By RuthC.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Well you could put Irish spring Soap in bar form (keeps some animals out of gardens because of its smell.) Tie it to a stick about 2 ft off the ground and put it around your garden. The stronger the smell the better it keeps them away!

A friend plants comfrey. The bunnies would much rather eat it than anything you have in your garden.

June 12, 2011 Flag

What can I place in my vegetable garden and around my flowers to deter rabbits from eating them? I know I can fence in the garden, but what about flowers?

By Joe B

As the woman at the garden shop told me not much stops them but a fence. I have heard marigolds will deter them ~ they ate mine. I was also told bone meal, or coyote urine will work but has to be replenished when it rains or when your sprinklers go on as is the situation here in CA. I also heard just plain red cayenne pepper sprinkled on the leaves will deter them. This use to work for me when I lived in the northeast with my flowers but again has to be replenished often but I got bottles at the dollar store.Not so sure you want to put that on your vegetables though. Good luck I haven't found anything but a fence to work so far and then I had problems with the snails!

My grandpa always put bone meal around the garden.

March 14, 2008 Flag

If you have a cat or dog in the home then you are vacuuming their hair off everything all of the time. Empty your vacuum canister or bag each time around the perimeter of your gardens.

July 10, 2010 Flag

Can someone tell me how to keep rabbits out of my garden safely?

By Sharon from East Hampton

Place a rabbit fence around your garden, also if you dust with "Seven" a bug killer, that will also help.

Also, try buying children play snakes and place them around. See if that helps. It would keep me out. lol.

June 27, 2010 Flag

How do I naturally repel rabbits in a garden?

By John from MA

Go to your local feed store, such as an Agway, and purchase fox urine. Spray or drip it out where the rabbits appear. Do store it outside, in a garage or shed, as any drop of it inside will really smell up your home.

Mass home improvement stores such as Lowes and Home Depot will also have predator urine located in their garden pesticide section. Of course, if you or a neighbor has dogs, you could always walk them around the perimeter of the garden and let them do their business.

July 22, 2012 Flag

Three rabbits have eaten all 16 of my pepper plants. How can I keep them away next year? I tried deer scent, but that didn't work.

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control RabbitsAugust 9, 2011
Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent
Liquid Fence Deer and Rabbit Repellent Review
Raccoon sitting in the garden near a flower pot.
Keeping Raccoons Out of Your Garden
A Garden Journal
Keeping A Garden Journal
Pet Rabbits
Raising Pet Rabbits