Getting Rid of Rats Around Rabbits

Category Rats
Rats love to find families that have outside pets giving them a good source of easy to get food. Care must be taken to rid yourself of the rats without harming your rabbits, chickens, or other pets. This is a guide about getting rid of rats around rabbits.

I keep my rabbits inside my shed, to my horror I have seen either a rat or mouse. What's the best solution, as I don't want my rabbits to be affected by poisons?

By Kim

Answers

Best Answer

According to Mother Earth News, rats and mice have a one-way digestive system so they don't burp. I read in the 70's about this trick. Put a lid of soda down and they drink it and the pressure gets them. They are easier to discard, too.

I have three rabbits, which I let run around freely, but this has led the rats to come. They pooped everywhere and even bite the car's wire, which caused us a huge amount of money. Recently we called pest control and they left a lot of poison here and there. I am now forced to cage my rabbits up. What should I do if I would like to let my rabbits run freely, without attracting these rats?

Answers

Rats and mice have an inability to burp. Put lids of soda around. They will drink and die.

This article has a lot of good points and tips. I am more of the anti kill (the soda method is cruel and poison is dangerous to everyone including bunnies and children and adults) and repel and prevent them person:

www.nomorepests.co.uk/do-rabbit-droppings-attract-mice...

There are repel device that won't hurt the bunnies if managed properly. Keeping clean space helps too. It is a lot of work. But can rid your space of the pests and keep your bunnies safe.

Good luck!!

I live on an island and next to a river. I have rats and mice problems most of the time here because there is nobody around me. I finally had to invest in a rat trap to get rid of them. I just added peanut butter to some bread and put it inside the trap. The rats go in and are trapped inside. You can normally get around 6 rats at a time.

How you dispose of them is up to you. I normally end up taking the trap to the river and putting it inside to drown the rats in the trap. We have river eels in the river who love to feast on them so I feed them to the eels. This makes it easier for me and I don't need to dig a hole and bury them or find them dead laying around the yard.

unfortunately rats are a bane whenever you have yard pets. All the folks I know who have had backyard chickens have had to deal with rats. IN one situation it was so dire you could see them running across the yard at night, 10's of them at a time!

I would say the best option would be a predator - a cat. Hopefully one that learned to ignore the cats. Actually a better option is a rat terrier, either get/adopt one or hire a ratter service (they're not common but they exist) :

www.terrierwork.com/pestcontrol.htm
www.pressdemocrat.com/.../sebastopol-man-takes-on-rats?gallery...
www.ratrelief.com/.../

I am rpetty sure a dog would be easier to train to NOT go after the rabbits than a cat, and their ability to kill rats is legendary. Just having the dog around after he kills them all will be a future deterrent

i see no other better solution, barring risking killing you and your pets or making it your second job to put, monitor, and mess with traps (literally second job: probably 10 to 20 hours a week at this, for the rest of your life)

i looked this up because had never heard it before but sadly it doesn't really seem to work thepestmanagement.com/.../

fun idea though

Sad but I believe your bunnies are doomed to spend their lives in cages as almost anything that is a deterrent to rats is also bad for rabbits as many people are trying to rid their yards of wild rabbits as well as rats.

You will also have to be careful with what type of cages you build as rats will gnaw a hole in almost anything if they are after food.

Maybe the suggestion to get a rat terrier dog makes more sense than anything else.

I have a big shed in my garden and my 2 pet rabbits live in it. I saw a big rat in it one day. I have put poison in there, but the rat keeps moving the carton and I don't know if it's eating any. Also today there were rat dropping in my rabbit's run. I am scared they will harm my pets. Can you please help.

By Patsy

Answers

For God's sake "never" use poison products near any animal. The Rats may be eating the poison you have left for them but if they have access to the Rabbits pen and leave their "droppings" this can be a huge problem. Have you considered removing "all" poison and replacing with two Cats? Good luck.

Please don't subject any cats to rats! Rats can kill a cat, especially if the cats can't escape! Think of the weight of a rat compared to a normal cat - about half or more! Now to the rats. You don't say what kind of rats. There are 'Roof Rats' that live high up in sheds, barns, etc. and there are Norway rats that live down on the ground and dig burrows.

Remember, like a mouse, rats can get through any hole, if they can get their heads thru, so look for where they are getting in at and put 'strong Hardware cloth' over those holes. Since they can dig holes (I've seen plenty in horse's stalls), you'll have to reinforce the shed floor with metal of some type.

Those rats found a smorgasbord in rabbit food (actually, they'll eat most anything) and they aren't giving up easily. You've got to enclose your rabbits with metal, just like if you had a chicken coop to keep varmints out. Put the rabbits food in secure metal cans, too. Also, rats carry diseases and/or rabies. (Information from hubby, who is an exterminator 30+ years)

Hi im salisha from trinidad an tobago .i have huge problems with rats in my back yard were i have my chickens ans ducks they are destroying all of my eggs they come into the coup to eat the feed and the eggs im fed up i try rat poison but they keep on coming . when a set dies a new set jus keep on coming right back ..please help