Getting Rid of Rats Around Rabbits

Category Rats
Rats love to find families that have outside pets giving them a good source of easy to get food. Care must be taken to rid yourself of the rats without harming your rabbits, chickens, or other pets. This is a guide about getting rid of rats around rabbits.

I keep my rabbits inside my shed, to my horror I have seen either a rat or mouse. What's the best solution, as I don't want my rabbits to be affected by poisons?

By Kim

Answers

Best Answer

According to Mother Earth News, rats and mice have a one-way digestive system so they don't burp. I read in the 70's about this trick. Put a lid of soda down and they drink it and the pressure gets them. They are easier to discard, too.

I have a big shed in my garden and my 2 pet rabbits live in it. I saw a big rat in it one day. I have put poison in there, but the rat keeps moving the carton and I don't know if it's eating any. Also today there were rat dropping in my rabbit's run. I am scared they will harm my pets. Can you please help.

By Patsy

Answers

For God's sake "never" use poison products near any animal. The Rats may be eating the poison you have left for them but if they have access to the Rabbits pen and leave their "droppings" this can be a huge problem. Have you considered removing "all" poison and replacing with two Cats? Good luck.

Please don't subject any cats to rats! Rats can kill a cat, especially if the cats can't escape! Think of the weight of a rat compared to a normal cat - about half or more! Now to the rats. You don't say what kind of rats. There are 'Roof Rats' that live high up in sheds, barns, etc. and there are Norway rats that live down on the ground and dig burrows.

Remember, like a mouse, rats can get through any hole, if they can get their heads thru, so look for where they are getting in at and put 'strong Hardware cloth' over those holes. Since they can dig holes (I've seen plenty in horse's stalls), you'll have to reinforce the shed floor with metal of some type.

Those rats found a smorgasbord in rabbit food (actually, they'll eat most anything) and they aren't giving up easily. You've got to enclose your rabbits with metal, just like if you had a chicken coop to keep varmints out. Put the rabbits food in secure metal cans, too. Also, rats carry diseases and/or rabies. (Information from hubby, who is an exterminator 30+ years)

Hi im salisha from trinidad an tobago .i have huge problems with rats in my back yard were i have my chickens ans ducks they are destroying all of my eggs they come into the coup to eat the feed and the eggs im fed up i try rat poison but they keep on coming . when a set dies a new set jus keep on coming right back ..please help