Getting Rid of Rats Around Rabbits

I keep my rabbits inside my shed, to my horror I have seen either a rat or mouse. What's the best solution, as I don't want my rabbits to be affected by poisons?

By Kim

Best Answer

According to Mother Earth News, rats and mice have a one-way digestive system so they don't burp. I read in the 70's about this trick. Put a lid of soda down and they drink it and the pressure gets them. They are easier to discard, too.

Your rabbits should not be living outside even in a shed. Because they are prey to so many carnivorous animals, it's much safer to have them living inside with you. If it's at all possible, bring them inside where they can be protected and live with you even if they stay in cages all the time. Pet rabbits fall in love with you as family and desire to be around you. They should have some out-of-cage time each day to interact with you and your family and to increase their happiness. Rabbits kept inside the house live longer and are far healthier than rabbits kept outside.

Please consider this and your fear of rats, mice, cats and other predators will no longer be an issue.

We've kept pet rabbits now for 26 years in many different situations. Our current rabbit, Mr. Darcy, is extremely happy living inside with us. He's needed little training to adjust. He lives in a large cage in our bedroom where he has room to lie down and stretch out, and he has some free running time each day. He's so dear, I'd hate to miss his sweet antics and personality if he were outside. He and I love to sit for about an hour each day and to love and appreciate each other.