Kenmore Refrigerator Ice Maker Isn't Making Ice

I have a Kenmore refrigerator freezer model #596.76503500. The ice maker is not working. How do I check the tubing for ice blockage? We had some dry black substance on top of some of the cubes and I wonder if that could have something to do with no water getting to the unit.

By Dover from Fredericksburg, TX

I'm not sure how to check your tubing, but the "black stuff" you mentioned could be from a dirty filter. Any fridge with an ice maker usually has some type of filter that needs to be periodically changed.

A site that both my husband and I frequently go to is It's free to join and they offer great repair info and support for just about everything out there. Good luck.

April (Albany, GA) (07/09/2009)

By Cali's Mom

I found a great website:
They can probably help you figure it out if the readers here can't help. The site has lots of great information. (07/10/2009)

By dvg

Refrigerator's Ice Maker
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Leaking Water
Refrigerator's Ice Maker Not Making Ice
Crushed Ice
Ice Maker Only Dispensing Crushed Ice
Ice Maker
Ice Maker Not Dispensing Ice