Lawn Mower Stops Running

My Troy Bilt push mower won't start. The blade came loose and I reinstalled it. While doing that, it made some gargle noises inside the engine. When I pulled the cord to start, white smoke came out. (I did have it on its side to quickly retighten the blade.) It ran weakly for about 10 seconds and died. This happened several times with a couple of backfires mixed in. If it starts, runs about 4-10 seconds and dies.

By rkw66 from Arlington, TX

Lawn Mower Stops Running

Did you drain the gas out of the engine before you started monkeying with the blade? If not, you probably got gas in the oil or oil in the gas and it won't burn. Drain gas and oil out, refill and start over. And next time siphon the gas out of the engine before you turn it over on its side to mess with the blade.

Susan in Omaha (08/04/2009)

By Susan

Lawn Mower Stops Running
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Running Rough
Riding Lawn Mower
Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
Mowing With Weed Wacker
Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
Man tinkering with a riding mower.
Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start