Lawn Mower Won't Stay Running

Problems with the spark, fuel or air intake can cause problems with your mower. This guide is about lawn mower won't stay running.

Starting a Lawnmower
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

My Craftsman GT 5000, model number 917276040, has a 25 hp Kohler V Twin. It will only start and run at low throtle with full choke. At first, it would not start. I drained the fuel and used lots of carb cleaner as well.
Ideas anyone?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

My riding lawn mower will not stay running unless I keep the choke on.

By Robin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Change air filter and gas filter

Read More Answers...

I have a 16hp 42in John Deere riding mower; it will start and run fine until I engage the blades. What's the problem? It runs great then when I engage the blades it dies. Any solution?

By Brandon from Indianapolis, IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

It may be the seat switch. Sit on the seat before engaging blades. If that fails, look for a connector under the seat. Unplug it, test, short it, test. You may end up with the safety feature defeated, so always turn off the blades before getting off the mower.

I have a John Deere 1500 series lawn mower. I can get it to start but as soon as I start the blades it cuts off. Does anyone know why? I have already checked to see if there is something caught in the blades.

By jenniferneal0927

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Usually there' a bad safety switch causing the problem. These are usually gray in color and look like a push button. Like the one you can easily see under the seat. Also a bad PTO switch will do this. There even a safety switch attached to the transmission on a JD tractor! See the loose wire?

Read More Answers...

I have a Poulan pro riding lawnmower; it turns off after it has been running for 5 to 10 minutes. What could it be?

By JJ from Bancroff, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That sounds like a problem with the fuel line where it gets hot and a vaccumn forms. If you wait for 5 to 10 min. does it start up again? If so that is the problem. Wether it is or not you'll need to take it to a mechanic.

I have a Murray riding mower. It will not stay started. I put gas in the carburetor and it starts and then cuts off.

By Kevin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Not only check for water in your gas can, but you may have gotten a bad batch of gas when you filled up your can (this just happened to us this past weekend). Somehow water got in our gas can, but when you have warm days and very cool nights, water condenses in your mower tank and gas can.

Keep 'Dry Gas' on hand for all your gas engines, especially for the spring and fall months. My husband spent 2 whole days getting water out of the John Deere riding mower we had because it just 'shut off' a few days ago. Water was in the fuel line, tank, filter, AND ended up in the oil because somehow on this engine L105, there's a line that runs to the oil from the gas--don't ask me why.

We weren't sure what the problem was, but we certainly had to get all the water out of there. A trip to town to get more gas, a trip to town for new spark plug, gas filter, air filter, another trip to get an oil filter and an oil filter wrench because ours broke; the process of elimination with simple things....before taking it to be repaired. It worked. It WAS water in the gas.

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersJanuary 20, 2013
    Riding Lawn Mower
    Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
    Mowing With Weed Wacker
    Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
    Man Fixing Mower
    Mower Won't Start
    Man tinkering with a riding mower.
    Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on April 24, 2016 at 8:08:24 AM on 10.0.1.140 in 721 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.