Lawn Mower Won't Stay Running

Problems with the spark, fuel or air intake can cause problems with your mower. This guide is about lawn mower won't stay running.

Starting a Lawnmower
Filter Sort

Question: John Deer Mower Won't Stay Running

By jennifer Neal 1

I have a John Deere 1500 series lawn mower. I can get it to start but as soon as I start the blades it cuts off. Does anyone know why? I have already checked to see if there is something caught in the blades.

By jenniferneal0927

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By jim 15 3 Flag

Usually there' a bad safety switch causing the problem. These are usually gray in color and look like a push button. Like the one you can easily see under the seat. Also a bad PTO switch will do this. There even a safety switch attached to the transmission on a JD tractor! See the loose wire?

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Poulan Pro Riding Lawn Mower Keeps Stalling

By robinfuller26 1 1

My riding lawn mower will not stay running unless I keep the choke on.

By Robin

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By johnt 2 Flag

Change air filter and gas filter

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Dies When Blades Engaged

I have a 16hp 42in John Deere riding mower; it will start and run fine until I engage the blades. What's the problem? It runs great then when I engage the blades it dies. Any solution?

By Brandon from Indianapolis, IN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Erbid 1 Flag

It may be the seat switch. Sit on the seat before engaging blades. If that fails, look for a connector under the seat. Unplug it, test, short it, test. You may end up with the safety feature defeated, so always turn off the blades before getting off the mower.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lawn Mower Won't Stay Running

I have a Poulan pro riding lawnmower; it turns off after it has been running for 5 to 10 minutes. What could it be?

By JJ from Bancroff, LA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By JazzyMe 12 79 Flag

That sounds like a problem with the fuel line where it gets hot and a vaccumn forms. If you wait for 5 to 10 min. does it start up again? If so that is the problem. Wether it is or not you'll need to take it to a mechanic.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Murray Riding Mower Won't Stay Running

I have a Murray riding mower. It will not stay started. I put gas in the carburetor and it starts and then cuts off.

By Kevin

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By beaverlaker 1 15 Flag

Not only check for water in your gas can, but you may have gotten a bad batch of gas when you filled up your can (this just happened to us this past weekend). Somehow water got in our gas can, but when you have warm days and very cool nights, water condenses in your mower tank and gas can.

Keep 'Dry Gas' on hand for all your gas engines, especially for the spring and fall months. My husband spent 2 whole days getting water out of the John Deere riding mower we had because it just 'shut off' a few days ago. Water was in the fuel line, tank, filter, AND ended up in the oil because somehow on this engine L105, there's a line that runs to the oil from the gas--don't ask me why.

We weren't sure what the problem was, but we certainly had to get all the water out of there. A trip to town to get more gas, a trip to town for new spark plug, gas filter, air filter, another trip to get an oil filter and an oil filter wrench because ours broke; the process of elimination with simple things....before taking it to be repaired. It worked. It WAS water in the gas.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Cuts Off When Engine Heats Up

By matgomery 1

My 13.5hp, 38in Yard Machine mower runs till it gets warm then shuts off. It won't start back till it cools down. Any ideas why?

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Mower Won't Stay Running

My mower went through 3 batteries last season. If you have a charge it will stay running, but as soon as you take the battery charger off, it shuts off in like 30 seconds. It doesn't act like it has anything to do with the gas. It is like a bad alternator, but they don't have one.

By J.P. from central, PA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Riding Lawn Mower Keeps Shutting Off

I have a Poulan riding lawn mower and it keeps shutting off after about three seconds. What is the problem?

By Stephen from Suffolk, VA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mower Won't Stay Running

I have a 14.5hp Briggs and Stratton mower. It starts and runs, but then it stops.

By Joe

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Mower Keeps Quitting After Running Awhile

My 19 hp Craftsman lawn tractor runs for a while and then will quit and act like it is overheating. After I let it sit for a few hours it will start up again. Any ideas?

By Richard O. from Rutland, VT

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Lawn Mower Dies When Blades Engaged

I have a 18 horse power Pro, it runs good when the blades aren't engaged. However, the motor dies out when the blades are engaged.

By Luann from TN

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Repair Machines Lawn MowersJanuary 20, 2013
    ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
    Riding Lawn Mower
    Repairing a Troy-Bilt Riding Lawn Mower
    Mowing With Weed Wacker
    Mowing a Lawn Without a Mower
    Lawn being replaced by moss.
    Getting Rid of Moss in Your Lawn
    Man tinkering with a riding mower.
    Riding Lawn Mower Won't Start
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 6, 2016 at 9:29:59 AM on 10.0.1.105 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
    NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
    Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
    BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
    CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings