Leaves Dying on an Avocado Plant

I am growing an avocado tree in my kitchen. All appeared to be going well, but in the last week and a half my plant hasn't been looking too healthy. The lower leaves are curling inwards, becoming almost crispy in texture and they are turning an extremely dark brown, seeming black before closer inspection. During this time my plant's condition has spread to nearly half of its leaves.

My kitchen is fairly cool in temperature and I have absolutely no idea in which region of the world this variety originates, or how to find out. I keep it in a sunny spot, but not in what I'd describe as direct sunlight. I water it regularly, just enough to keep the soil damp, a deep brown color. I re-potted my avocado tree about six weeks ago and it seemed to improve in health directly after that, growing very quickly once again, before this problem emerged.

Could you possibly give me any advice to help improve its health? I'm rather fond of my avocado tree, eccentric as that may appear. I'd at least like to give it a fighting chance at survival. Many thanks, in anticipation.

Hardiness Zone: 9b

C from England, UK

Answers:

Leaves Dying on an Avocado Plant

Don't forget they are trees. Trees have trunks, not leaves at the bottom. Every one I have ever had has lost the bottom leaves eventually. (08/18/2008)

By Kaysee

Leaves Dying on an Avocado Plant

Right. The lower leaves will fall off because it is a tree, not a bush. My 20 year old avocado tree in the back yard puts out at least 35 bushels of leaves every year. A well established tree in Central California will survive a week of temps that go down in the 20's every night. Only the outside couple of feet will freeze. Prune them off and the tree will come back with a vengeance. I think we are in zone 9. (08/21/2008)

By Gorius

Leaves Dying on an Avocado Plant

I have been having the same concern. I have noticed that the leaves at the top are growing well and the tree as a whole is very sturdy. My tree is still quite young, about 14 inches tall and three months old. I water it frequently and have it in a terra cotta 13 inch pot. After reading this, sounds like it is natural as long as the leaves aren't going yellow from over watering. (12/25/2008)

By Dani

Full length photo fo avocado tree.
Leaves Dying on an Avocado Plant
A ripe avocado cut in half.
Ripening an Avocado
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
Avocados on a Tree
Caring for an Avocado Tree
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
Trumpet Vine Losing Leaves
🎉
🎄