Leftover Rice

I use a rice cooker and often have leftover rice. Rather than throw it away, I do what my old Japanese roommate used to do, freeze it! Place leftover cooked rice in plastic wrap or a ziploc baggie and put it in the freezer. It will keep for a long time and only need a few seconds in the microwave to heat up. Tastes great after being frozen.

*Tip - freeze in individual serving sizes for a quick lunch. Add some frozen veggies and sauce and voila!

By Carrie from Yakima, WA

Answers:

Leftover Rice

Works for all cooked whole grains. Next time you make a brothy soup, you can throw in the whole frozen chunk and let it thaw itself in the soup. (Take off the baggie first, for those not paying close attention. lol) (12/18/2006)

By Speedwell

Leftover Rice

One of my favorite things to do with rice (my kid's favorite, too) is to make rice cakes: 1 egg and 1 Tbsp. flour for every 1 cup of rice, then add whatever is leftover: meat, veggies, and a nice handful of cheese! Stir together, it will slightly stick together. Fry in a little butter or butter-spray, golden on both sides! Great way to use up the bits of leftovers, very versatile. (12/18/2006)

By KLJohn

Leftover Rice

With leftover rice, add half milk and half evaporated milk, sugar to taste a little nutmeg and a few currants. Heat in a thick bottom pot, stirring all the time, and you have a delicious English rice pudding. Yummy! (06/17/2008)

By savedone

Leftover Rice With Turkey Mushroom Sauce
Using Leftover Rice
Pudding Made With Leftover Rice
Making Rice Pudding With Leftover Rice
Scoop of brown rice. Freezing brown rice.
Freezing Brown Rice
Side of Spanish rice.
Making Spanish Rice in the Rice Cooker
A plate of cooked brown rice.
Cooking Brown Rice in a Rice Cooker
🎄
🍂