Legal Responsibility for Aging Estranged Parents

Estranged Parent
Knowing your legal rights and responsibilities is important when dealing with estranged family members. This is a guide about legal responsibility for aging estranged parents.

My mother was abusive growing up. We have been estranged the majority of my adult life. She was recently placed in a nursing home. I have nothing and want nothing to do with her. Can she make me power of attorney without my agreeing to it? Am I in anyway responsible for financial costs for the nursing home or funeral when the time comes? This is in Texas. As I said I want nothing to do with her and I am receiving phone calls from social workers, etc. in regards to her. When does it become harassment to me?

To the best of my understanding, Justaskin, you are responsible for nothing until and unless you put your signature on documents accepting responsibility. That said, please do not rely on opinions from this or any other site. Talk to a legal professional or several.

I believe Rose Anne is correct: unless you signed anything, you are in the clear. Checking with an attorney on this is a very good idea and worth the money so you can be certain of your legal position. Simply tell anyone who calls, mails, emails, etc., about your mother and money that you are not responsible for your mother's finances.

How sad that you don't want anything to do with your mother - after all she brought you into the world didn't she? I suggest that instead of worrying about being financially responsible that you try to resolve any bitter feelings between the two of you before she dies. I suggest that you start with a consultation with your religious leader first. It's time to forgive & resolve before it's too late. Good Luck.

I would suggest getting caller ID installed on your phone. You don't need to spend time answering calls from people you have no intention of speaking to.