Rights and Responsibilities of Unwed Parents?

A child holding hands with a young adult.
There can be certain legal challenges that arise for unwed parents when it comes to issues of custody, visitation, support, and other concerns regarding their relationship with their children. This is a page about rights and responsibilities of unwed parents.


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

January 22, 2017

My son and his girlfriend are broke up. They have a 3 year old boy. Both of them are active in his life. The mother was recently incarcerated and will be for a while. My son went to get his child from his ex-girlfriend's mother. She was with her when the police picked her up. When he got there to get his 3 year old, she wouldn't let him have him.

She told him that she has temporary custody of him while the child's mother is incarcerated. He was never informed of any of this. I believe in Michigan both parents have to sign the POA over the minor child. Am I correct? How does he go about getting that revoked so he can get his son while she's incarcerated?


Gold Post Medal for All Time! 677 Posts
January 22, 20170 found this helpful

The court is always looking for what is in the best interest of the child. The mother always has primary custody, unless she is not a fit parent. Being in jail would qualify as unfit in my opinion.


I hope your son's name is on the birth certificate, proving that he is the father. He can then go to court and ask for custody. However, if the court feels that the girlfriend's mother is the better guardian,
she will get custody.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Bronze Post Medal for All Time! 107 Posts
January 22, 20170 found this helpful

even without the birth certificate, he can always get a DNA test proving paternity. He is definitely within his rights to use the courts to get custody over an unfit mother and HER mother, unless they sue him for being unfit.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Gold Feedback Medal for All Time! 949 Feedbacks
January 23, 20170 found this helpful

Did your son ask for legal proof the grandmother has temporary custody of his son? She should have something stating dates and other information.


Your son will probably have to have DNA proof that he is the father before he can go much further and he may have to prove that he is a fit father that can support the child.

Here is a site with some information for your state:

Reply Was this helpful? Yes

Silver Post Medal for All Time! 255 Posts
January 24, 20170 found this helpful

He will need to get an attorney

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Read More Answers
Business and Legal LegalJanuary 26, 2017
Summer Ideas!
Back to School Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Better LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness and LegalComputersConsumer AdviceCoronavirusCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood and RecipesHealth & BeautyHolidays and PartiesHome and GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsPhotosTravel and RecreationWeddings
Published by ThriftyFun.
Desktop Page | View Mobile
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us
Generated 2022-08-05 14:15:35 in 1 secs. ⛅️️
© 1997-2022 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.