Browsing: Letting Gray Hair Grow Out

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Letting Gray Hair Grow Out

Some women, after dyeing their hair for years decide to go natural. This is a guide about letting gray hair grow out.

woman with long gray hair.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

December 4, 2010 Flag

I've been coloring my grey hair. Now, with 1 inch grey showing, I want to remove the brown and go grey. What is the best way to remove the brown?

By Carolyno from Vancouver, WA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

I would suggest heavily highlighting your colored hair, or you could go with a lighter color just where your hair is colored that will blend more with the grey so you won't see the lines of demarcation as much. The fastest and easiest way is just get a short haircut that will remove as much of the colored hair as possible.

Best Answer

Don't try this yourself. Go to a hairdresser and have them strip the color from your hair. It will then be a nasty shade of pale. Then have her color your hair grey. It will look lovely and grow out naturally. It will cost something but will be worth it in the end.

Best Answer

When I wanted to go from tinted to natural I got a real curly perm, so the curls hid the roots. Then as soon as it was long enough, I had my stylist cut my hair real short so only the natural color was left. I did it over the summer and it was a shock to my students when school started up in the fall, but it was the easiest, cheapest way to go natural.

This is a cautionary tale, please chose for yourself how to handle your grey, This is my story, my night mare, And my health is not a contributing factor to any hair loss-I checked.

Do not try the high light route! I tried that at the urgings of a stylist, "to blend "my brilliant silver into my chestnut locks." I had the best hair of my life (I'm 50), glossy and growing nicely down past my shoulders. For the first time I could let it get long since my son had been born 21 years prior. First session 7 foils no biggie. Well come touch up time needed a few more because more permanent color was growing out and the silver/gray was showing in other places. Turned out too white in some spots and orange in others, yes Crayola orange!

They graciously "fixed" with a toner that made the white Orange too & the orange brassy-ier. Last resort permanent all over color that missed spots and made the non gray much MUCH darker. Less than one week later it started to fall out .... alot. Breaking off of sections that were highlighted over highlights and fall out from the root areas where the bleach apparently had been put directly down & onto the scalp on the non-silver areas.

My new stylist says I should sue the old salon as my soap was burnt by the chemicals. Here we are in June and I have lost more than half my hair and had to cut it off because the breakage made large gaps straggly looking sections like how chemo makes clumps fall out. I have the Les Mis Anne Hathaway cut now. Can't even get a curling iron in it yet. At least the colored portions are now gone but so is 90%of my hair. I have some regrowth but there is no guarantee that my hair will ever grow back anywhere close to the thickness and density that it was. My avatar is from my wedding day 12-9-11 when I first decided to allow it to get long.

Take my advice. Just deal with the roots by using temporary wash out colors, or just live with it while the gray grows in & the color grows out. Most salons are not skilled enough or properly trained to remove years of permanent hair color (usually a build up of many different brands) without causing severe permanent damage to your hair and scalp and to give you a color that will grow out naturally.

Read More Answers...

January 16, 2010 Flag

My hair is gray and I color it medium blonde. I'm in the process of letting it grow out gray. How can I make it look better until it's grown out?

By Linda from Jackson, TN

Best Answer

Hi, Linda!

Try a temporary color. They last about 6 weeks and fade over time. You have to go a little darker and it covers your blonde and your gray. Continue coloring it every 4 weeks or so. Once the blonde has been cut off, you can let the darker, temporary color fade away to your beautiful, natural color!

Best Answer

My beautician suggested I go to a lighter color each time I DO color my hair. Non-permanent works best, until I get to the lightest I can go and the gray blends in. Not there yet!

I was mostly grey having very little permanent color left on my ends. I used Roux; I could live with that but my hair had NO body whatsoever. So I went back to permanent color I got at Sallys. I now only have to wash and style it about every 3 days. Some on this site said they didn't want to color because they didn't want to be a slave to coloring. To me coloring is much less of a hassle and less time consuming than having to wash and style ever day using gobs of products just have some body. Once again I love my hair and I'm getting lots of compliments.

My natural color now is silver so I had it bleached blonde, as light as possible. That has helped with hair appearance; except I have damaged hair. I strongly condition my hair now ever two/ three days. Trying not to cut it all off. So I wear my hair in an updo a lot, which is better now that I have fly always. Lol. Good luck to you. I knew my hair would pay but I was determined no more color! My beautician can't believe my hair is in the good condition it is since we ent so light. Condition! Condition! Condition!

Read More Answers...
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringApril 22, 2013
Coloring Gray Hair
Coloring Gray Hair
ARDELL Gray Magic Color Additive
Ardell Gray Magic Color Additive Reviews
gray haired woman
Dyeing My Hair Gray
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 6:39:14 PM on 10.0.2.241 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.