Lining Cotton Curtains

I'm making curtains for my kitchen, using 100% cotton fabric, the same weight you would find in a quilt shop. I'd like to line them to help prevent fading (even though there will be Venetian blinds behind them). If I use a light drapery lining, will that be too heavy? Or would I be better off using muslin? Any ideas?

Take a piece of the fabric with you when you go to buy the liner fabric. The liner should be a lighter weight than the main fabric.

I think muslin might be too light. You want it the same or slightly lighter than the curtain fabric.

Remember to pre-wash both fabrics first. You don't want them to shrink at different rates the first time you wash them.

Use the light drapery lining. Or do not line them at all because you may want to replace the curtains at some time in the near future. Pull the venetian blinds at the time of day when the sun enters in that window so you will protect the curtains from fading.

Looking at muslin - it appears to be too loosely woven to keep out the sunlight.

Have you thought of using a polyester? It is light weight, fade resistant and there are many color choices.

I recently made myself a ew set of 100percent cotton curtains and while I was searching for the material to ok line it came across a slightly strange idea. Although it may seem a bit unconventional I found that it saved money on the electric bill. I actually decided to use a light weight shower curtain. Yes, the plastic type that repels water. Ive used this idea in the past to cover leaky windows to keep out winter cold and it worked wonders. So I decided to try this with my new curtains. When u go looking for the shower curtain make sure not to use one that is too thin as it will tear easily and wont last. You also dont want it to be too heavy and weigh them down. You will also need to decide on a color. They come in many different colors and depending on what you want the curtains to do will depend on the color. If you want a lot of light to come into a room you will want to get the clear ones, for black out curtains youd want the solid white ones. Although they do come in a variety of other colors you need to keep in mind that dark colors absorb heat and stops light decreasing the benefits of having this as a liner. The white color reflects the light while absorbing heat and the clear shiny reflects heat yet allows lightwasatNBA aInd the right ones that did not cost very much at all at a discount store and they only cost about $5.00. You can find inexpensive ones at your local hardware store or the nearest Wal Mart for between $3.00 and $7.00. It will be depending on the type and the weight you decide on. It took me two full shower liners to do both curtains. I also found this to cost much less than to buy it at the fabric stores. The added benefits are that this keeps out the heat in summer as well as keeping the cold out in winter. This keeps your electric costs down as well.