Make Sauce With Your Garden Tomatoes

What to do with all those garden tomatoes? I washed a big bowl of them, sliced them open, took out the seeds and pulp, cut them into any old size (about eight pieces per tomato) and put them in the slow cooker (on low) before I went to bed. I stirred them in the morning and around noon. By dinner time they were thick and sweet. I used them in a homemade spaghetti sauce for dinner and my children actually said they liked it better than the store bought sauce.

I learned to cut and clean the tomatoes this way for oven-drying, but this is much easier. I'm guessing that the skins are good roughage, and you really don't notice them in the sauce.

By Lindainthekitchen from Weirton, WV

Answers:

green tomatoes @ frost

This year I wrapped my green tomatoes in newspaper as I have done before with good results. I put them in a clean pail in a cool dark place to ripen. When I need a fresh tomato I check for ripe ones. This is the first year I have wrapped grape tomatoes. I'm hoping for ripe tomatoes through December. I also like green tomato mincemeat. (10/23/2008)

By Aldis