Make Your Own Baby Food The Fast and Inexpensive Way

By Teresa Higginbotham

Ever pick up all those cute little jars of baby food in your grocery store? As your baby gets older you find that those specialty jars get more and more expensive. Think about what's in those little jars and that's when you start saving money. You can do this yourself. You already know about introducing your child to new foods slowly, so here's how to make those simple foods that they love.

If you just want to give your baby a simple vegetable like carrots, then put carrot pieces with some bottled water into the microwave and cook until they are tender. Then puree the carrots until they are the right consistency for your child. Bananas are even simpler. Just mash them and add a little breast milk or formula to desired consistency. As I gradually introduced my children to new foods I finally ended up just taking what we ate and putting it in the blender. They had spaghetti, beef stew, mashed potatoes, simple soups, etc. Once you have made your smoothed out dishes then put them in an ice cube tray and freeze them. You can pop out those little chunks of baby food and put them in a ziploc bag, label them and put them back in the freezer. With all the costs of a little one, having one area where you can cut down helps. Here are a few recipes for baby food but always remember, the simpler the better.

Carrot-Rice Puree

• 2 tb Brown rice uncooked
  • 6 Carrots, scrubbed and -chopped in small pieces
  • 1 1/3 c Water

A nutritious, smooth dish with a bit of texture for older infants. (or broth or leftover ooking liquid from cooking vegetables) 1 teaspoon sweet butter (optional) Place rice and carrots in a saucepan with the water and cover. Simmer until the water is absorbed--about 30 to 40 minutes. When cool enough to handle, puree in blender or food processor with butter until smooth refrigerate, or freeze leftovers in ice cube tray. Makes 1-1/ cups .

This recipe take from "Baby's First Helpings" by Chris Casson Madden

Pureed Peas

• 2 1 c Fresh peas
  • 1 ts Sweet butter

Formula, breast milk, or cooking water (about 8 teaspoons)

Boil or steam peas for 7 to 12 minutes or until tender. Drain and puree in your food processor or blender with some of the steam water or formula or breast milk until very smooth. Remove from the blender and mash with butter. Refrigerate or freeze leftovers in ice cube trays. Makes 2-8 servings.

This recipe taken From "Baby's First Helpings" by Chris Casson Madden

About The Author: Teresa Higginbotham writes articles about frugal living and homeschooling. She is also responsible for the popular site "Tightwad Tess" at http://www.tightwadtess.com where she features articles on frugal living and family life. Her other site, "The Frugal Homeschooler", features articles on homeschooling with a tightwad touch and you can visit there at http://pages.ivillage.com/frugalhomeschooler. She has free newsletters you can subscribe to at both sites.

Answers:

Hey! I had thought about doing this because I am a stay at home mother and the money is tight. Those little jars of baby food are so expensive and they are gone in no time. Can you really freeze homemade baby food like that I have never heard of that and that is a great idea! So all you do is put some of your dinner or something that you want your baby to have in the blender and that's it, that sounds so easy. Thank you so much!(06/20/2004)

By Erricka

Hi to all mothers. I have 3 children myself and I only gave them jars in emergencies. It's really very easy to do and you KNOW what you're feeding your children. I usually made everything fresh, it takes so little time and you always have the benefits of fresh vitamins. Depending on the age, just use 1 small potato, any veggie, the more you get your child used to different foods, the better and a tiny piece of meat (chicken works fine). Steam or microwave and just mash everything with a fork. Putting it in the blender causes the vitamins to oxidise because of all the air beaten into it and you lose all your benefits. Don't use seasoning, the child gets to know the REAL taste of food and it's much healthier. Fruitporridge is also very easy to make and it tastes sooo good that sometimes I still have to make it for my kids who are now 9,8 and 6.I even had to make extra's for hubby when they were small.... Just take any fruit, and a soft cookie like "betterfood".Break the cookie in smaller pieces, pour fresh orange juice over it (to soak) and then add any fruit according to season. Mash everything with a fork or rasp harder fruit ,like apple.Most babies just love it. If you think this all takes too much time, think of the benefits for your babies. I always stayed working and combine, kids, house and work and I'm still alive (lol) It's worth putting some effort in important things. I now have very healthy, sporty, slim children ! Good eating habits start from VERY early. (06/23/2004)

By mother earth

Making Your Own Baby Food
A baby eating organic baby food.
Making Your Own Organic Baby Food
Freezing Baby Food. Jar of Baby Food with Spoon
Freezing Baby Food
Woman Avoiding Fast Food
Avoiding Fast Food
Slim Fast Bottle
Homemade Slim Fast Recipes
🎉
🎄