Make Your Own Cleaning Rags from Old Clothing

When my sister in law got a nice used serger, she took all of her kitchen rags and serged around them, so they had a nice edge, and doubled the thinner ones. There was always a supply to clean, and they were washed several times a week, which saved on paper towels, big time.

This week end I found a nice used sewing machine for $25 dollars. I went through it and oiled everything that needed oiling, with turbine oil [the best oil for everything I've ever found] per the booklet which came with the machine; an added plus. It works like a charm.

I took all my rags and doubled the ones which were similar weight and size, and zig zagged with the 2 setting so it kind of flattened out the edges of the cloth, went around the edges, leaving just a 2 inch or so unsewed portion of the last side. I trimmed any area which didn't quite fit the squares or rectangle and turned inside out. Then I top stitched with a straight stitch, about an 1/8 inch in, and closed the little gap by tucking seam allowances in to match the rest. I didn't bother to iron as I sewed, just finger pressed. The sewers out there will know what I mean.

They weren't serged, but they came out nicely and now I have a little stack of nice little thin pads to use as kitchen clothes, wipes and so on. I cut up an old stained t shirt, used a worn dish towel, and assorted rags from cut up towels. For the towels I just zig zag around the edges and trimmed any straggling threads. Altogether I have about a dozen little clothes.

I live with my son and grandson, and they will use rags as long as they are clean to begin with. I just keep throwing them into the wash with anything else to keep them circulating.

I grew up in the Pacific Northwest and have seen the forests and trees disappear in great numbers in my lifetime. I hate to use paper towels.

Source: Sister in law and numerous old ladies throughout my life, who never threw anything away.

By pikka from Westminster, CO

Economically and ecologically sound! Now, if only I could get hubby to cooperate. :P (05/29/2009)

By JustPlainJo

I just laugh when those articles telling you how to save money say to go out and "buy" a package of wash cloths to use in place of paper towels. How does buying something save money? Why do people not think of using their old clothing? I can find all sorts of thing to do with them: cleaning cloths, small squares in a container used for homemade disinfecting wipes, rag rugs, buttons for my sewing projects, refashioned clothing, quilts. (05/30/2009)

By susanmajp

basket of clothing
Uses for Old Clothing
Ring of old keys.
Uses for Old Keys
sweat stain on dark clothing
Perspiration Stains on Dark Clothing
Cleaning With Rags
Cleaning With Rags