Make Your Own Laundry Soap With Dish Soap

Diluted dish soap is used by many people in place of laundry detergent. This is a guide about how to make your own laundry soap with dish soap.

I use Ajax, Dawn or Joy dish soap to wash my clothes. It's cheaper than Tide. Mix it 7 to 1 (Water to dish soap) in your empty laundry detergent bottle. I use the bottle cap to measure just like the Tide.

I also fill my Downey ball about half full of white vinegar and toss that in. It removes soap build up and softens too. For whites I use 1/2 cup of All Fabric Bleach from the Dollar Store. Really thrifty and it doesn't bother my husbands sensitive skin.

By K

Top Comment

After reading a lot of recipes for saving of laundry soap, I like this idea the best. No harsh chemicals to mess with, no soap shavings to burn my lungs, yet still a great way to save. My husband works in a factory and has greasy clothes, I think the dawn will work GREAT for us. I'm going to try this and the vinegar idea in the downy ball too. Thank you so much!

I think I recently saw a recipe (I thought that it was on ThriftyFun, not sure though) for homemade laundry detergent using liquid dishwashing soap. Does anyone have it? Thank you.

By WendyD from Palm Springs, CA

Best Answer

1 Tablespoon of Dawn for your everyday wash

1 Tablespoon Ivory of your delicates

Use the "Find" link at the top of this website.

I have washed many loads of clothes with only dish soap, and they turn out great! I just put a few squirts in the water until it gets all sudsy. It works great!

Robyn