Making Button Earrings

Beautiful and interesting buttons can be fashioned into jewelry. This guide is about making button earrings.

June 19, 2005 Flag
Jess Hampton1 found this helpful

Do you have any beautiful, old buttons in your collection that either don't number enough for the front of a shirt, or just don't seem to match any fabric you have? You can turn them into unique earrings quite easily.

This is so easy and the end result is stunning!

1. First, what you'll need to do is clip the back loop off of your buttons with needle-nosed pliers. Be careful to clip as close to the button's surface as possible.
  2. You'll probably be left with two sharp nubs on the back of each button that you just can't get close enough to clip off. To glue the earring post onto the back of the button, you'll need a flat surface. The best way to solve this issue is to take a small amount of polymer clay (if you're using metal buttons) or air-hardening clay (if you're using plastic buttons, or buttons with plastic features) and smooth it onto the back of the button. Try and make as thin of a layer as possible, just enough to cover the sharp nubs. If you used polymer clay, bake the two buttons, clay side up, for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
  3. Ad

4. When the clay has cooled/dried, put a very small amount of glue on the back of each button and press the earring posts on. Earring posts bought at bead stores have a large, flat end, so this should be easy. Wait for the glue to dry and the earrings are finished!

I bet that earring wires could be threaded through the back button hole to make dangling earring as well. Good ideas!

I have been making this type of earring from buttons for many years and want to share a tip with you. I use a tool that I bought in the crafts section at Walmart that cuts the shanks off of buttons. Then I use my Dremel drill to sand down any remaining nubs, and the sanding makes for a nice flat surface. The glue also adheres better to a rough finish versus a smooth one. I really love buying unusual things to make earrings from (buttons, embellishments, flowers, ...). Does anyone know where I can buy inexpensive earring posts? I can't find 6mm and 8mm flat posts. I don't want the expensive sterling silver or 14k gold; just the cheap kind. Thanks! Debbie

Thanks for sharing this....I don't have the money for buying new ones (I'll be cutting my hair short and need some new "big" earrings) and I love the ability to customize with outfits!

Thank you for your straightforward advice! I spent 30 minutes sifting through instructions for hanging earrings until I put in "button craft glue earring finding how to" and found your great site.

November 7, 2006 Flag

This is a super fast craft. Great as a gift.

Button hoop earring

November 15, 2006 Flag

These are unbelievably easy, cheap and quick. They would make a wonderful gift.

Post Button Earrings

Crafts JewelryJanuary 27, 2013
Craft: Jump Ring Earrings
Making Jump Ring Earrings
making earrings
Making Recycled Earrings
plate of cherry topped cookies
Bachelor Button Cookie Recipes
Making Button Jewelry
Making Button Jewelry