Making Button Earrings
Beautiful and interesting buttons can be fashioned into jewelry. This guide is about making button earrings
Share on ThriftyFunThis guide contains the following solutions. Have something to add? Please share your solution!
Jess Hampton1 found this helpful
Do you have any beautiful, old buttons in your collection that either don't number enough for the front of a shirt, or just don't seem to match any fabric you have? You can turn them into unique earrings quite easily.
- two buttons, preferably flat-front (not the kind w/two or four holes)
- craft glue
- needle-nosed pliers
- polymer clay or air-hardening clay
- 2 earring posts and backings OR the posts and backings from a pair of earrings you're bored of
This is so easy and the end result is stunning!
- First, what you'll need to do is clip the back loop off of your buttons with needle-nosed pliers. Be careful to clip as close to the button's surface as possible.
- You'll probably be left with two sharp nubs on the back of each button that you just can't get close enough to clip off. To glue the earring post onto the back of the button, you'll need a flat surface. The best way to solve this issue is to take a small amount of polymer clay (if you're using metal buttons) or air-hardening clay (if you're using plastic buttons, or buttons with plastic features) and smooth it onto the back of the button. Try and make as thin of a layer as possible, just enough to cover the sharp nubs. If you used polymer clay, bake the two buttons, clay side up, for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
- When the clay has cooled/dried, put a very small amount of glue on the back of each button and press the earring posts on. Earring posts bought at bead stores have a large, flat end, so this should be easy. Wait for the glue to dry and the earrings are finished!
Read More Comments By guest (Guest Post) Flag
December 22, 20080 found this helpful
Thank you for your straightforward advice! I spent 30 minutes sifting through instructions for hanging earrings until I put in "button craft glue earring finding how to" and found your great site.
This is a super fast craft. Great as a gift.
- buttons in pairs that are the same size and design
- hoop earrings (got mine at Jo-Ann Fabrics)
Related Content(article continues below)
Simply put the button on the hoop earring through one of the holes in the button. If you give this as a gift you could even give extra buttons so the person could change it up every once in a while.
Read More Comments
November 8, 20060 found this helpful
Cute and quick, my type of craft! Thanks for sharing! :-)
These are unbelievably easy, cheap and quick. They would make a wonderful gift.Read More...
In This Guide
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by ThriftyFun
generated on February 15, 2017 at 3:48:02 AM on 10.0.0.134 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer
. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us