Making Button Earrings

Beautiful and interesting buttons can be fashioned into jewelry. This guide is about making button earrings.

June 19, 2005 Flag
Jess Hampton1 found this helpful

Do you have any beautiful, old buttons in your collection that either don't number enough for the front of a shirt, or just don't seem to match any fabric you have? You can turn them into unique earrings quite easily.

Directions:

This is so easy and the end result is stunning!

1. First, what you'll need to do is clip the back loop off of your buttons with needle-nosed pliers. Be careful to clip as close to the button's surface as possible.
  2. You'll probably be left with two sharp nubs on the back of each button that you just can't get close enough to clip off. To glue the earring post onto the back of the button, you'll need a flat surface. The best way to solve this issue is to take a small amount of polymer clay (if you're using metal buttons) or air-hardening clay (if you're using plastic buttons, or buttons with plastic features) and smooth it onto the back of the button. Try and make as thin of a layer as possible, just enough to cover the sharp nubs. If you used polymer clay, bake the two buttons, clay side up, for 15 minutes at 350 degrees F.
  3. Ad

4. When the clay has cooled/dried, put a very small amount of glue on the back of each button and press the earring posts on. Earring posts bought at bead stores have a large, flat end, so this should be easy. Wait for the glue to dry and the earrings are finished!

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you for your straightforward advice! I spent 30 minutes sifting through instructions for hanging earrings until I put in "button craft glue earring finding how to" and found your great site.

I don't have pierced ears but sometimes see unusual earrings that I use as pins. Just push the wire through your fabric (it's same width as pins), secure the backing and you truly have one-of-a-kind buttons. (This is especially useful when a friend loses one earring)

Read More Comments...

November 7, 2006 Flag

This is a super fast craft. Great as a gift.

Directions:

Simply put the button on the hoop earring through one of the holes in the button. If you give this as a gift you could even give extra buttons so the person could change it up every once in a while.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Cute and quick, my type of craft! Thanks for sharing! :-)

I love it! I got out my button box and my jewelry findings and I made some right away! Thanks for the great idea, I can't believe I never thought of doing this before.

Read More Comments...

November 15, 2006 Flag

These are unbelievably easy, cheap and quick. They would make a wonderful gift.

Post Button Earrings

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Crafts JewelryJanuary 27, 2013
Craft: Jump Ring Earrings
Making Jump Ring Earrings
making earrings
Making Recycled Earrings
plate of cherry topped cookies
Bachelor Button Cookie Recipes
Making Button Jewelry
Making Button Jewelry
🎉
🎄