Making Metal Button Bracelets

Category Jewelry
Metal shank buttons both, vintage and new, can be used to make a fun to wear bracelet. This is a guide about making metal button bracelets.

If you have a lot of gold or silver shank buttons in your button box, especially if you are fortunate to have inherited some vintage buttons, this is a really great gift for someone.

You will need at least 55 buttons, so you will have a few extras, as you might want to change out a couple as you go along or at the end of your project. Other supplies needed are 55 jump rings, a medium sized toggle clasp, and 7 or 8 inches of flat length medium sized chain to fit your wrist. Keep in mind that the toggle will make the bracelet about an inch larger in size also. I prefer split style jump rings, as they will slide onto the button shank and then onto the links of the chain and hold secure.

I used a size 6mm or 8mm split ring. You will need 55 of those for your bracelet.

Start putting the jump rings onto your buttons first to get them ready to slide onto your bracelet and also put the same style or similar buttons into groups, so you can vary the buttons nicely as you go along. Start sliding your buttons on one side of a link and then the opposite side, and just keep adding until you get to the end of the chain. I leave one link at the ends to attach the toggle clasp on, using one of your extra split jump rings.

By CDC from FL

This is the 3rd bracelet I have made now and sadly enough, I'm fresh out of buttons now....

A wonderful idea and so attractive. You must be a very clever lady. Thank you for sharing this craft. Marcia Lewis, Sarasota, Florida

Thank you so much for your thumbs up everyone! I truly appreciate your help in winning this contest!

If you have any questions about making these button bracelets, please feel free to ask and I'll be more than happy to help. :-)

These are so cute! Can't wait to make my own.