Making Chocolate Milk

It is easy and delicious to make your own flavored milk at home. This guide is about making chocolate milk.

December 27, 2011 Flag
My kids love it, and it costs less!

• 1/2 cup cocoa powder
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup water
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • dash of salt

Mix all ingredients in small pot. Bring to boil, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute. Remove from heat. Let cool. Store in glass jar in fridge.

Servings: depends how much you like to use!
Prep Time: 10 Minutes
Cooking Time: 5 Minutes

Source: Simply Frugal

By coville123 from Brockville, Ontario

This recipe was posted under homemade chocolate syrup some time ago.

September 8, 2005 Flag

How can you make chocolate milk at home without the chocolate separating from the milk? Chocolate syrup always ends up at the bottom of the cup. My 2 year old can go thru 3 gallons of store bought chocolate milk in a week. And although I want him to have the milk, the cost of this is unbelievable. I have tried mixing the store bought chocolate milk equally with powdered milk and it has worked. Just wondering if someone else knew a cheaper way to fake him out!

Carole in NC

I don't let my daughter's drink Chocolate Milk often but when I do, I use the Hershey's Chocolate ice cream syrup. Put milk in a cup, squeeze some syrup (to taste) and stir. It makes WONDERFUL chocolate milk for cheap. This is only a "once in a while" treat for my girls.

I drink a gallon of milk a day, so what? It's not harmful, sheesh, you people... Would rather have my kids drink milk than soda or even juice, which is MUCH higher in sugar, damages your teeth and causes acid reflux.

The cocoa mix and syrup recipes above are similar to the ones I use myself, I don't buy the premade packaged junk.

I am floored by some of these comments. I assume that you no longer read this post, since it was more than 2 years ago. But my son whom will be 3 in June was drinking about 3 gallons of milk a week, if not more. I spoke to his Dr. about this and as long as he is eating normally than there is nothing to be concerned about. They checked his IRON level and it is great. The only concern you should have had was too much milk can cause high iron levels and stomach problems.

Got sick and hyper kids? Find out why.

My son was diagnosed with ADHD. He was put on drugs. I took him off and removed all dairy and wheat from his diet. I've seen more of an improvement in him in the last 6 months than I ever did with drugs. (He drinks Vanilla Rice Milk which is yummy in cereal.)

February 14, 2005 Flag

Does anyone have a recipe to make chocolate milk using Hershey's cocoa powder. I have two children who love chocolate milk and I was thinking maybe making milk this way would be less expensive.

Any ideas?

The chocolate that you're refering to from South American traditions would be nothing remotely like american chocolate. It would be more akin to a thick coffee. Traditional chocolate wasnt sweet like today.

beanygurl - Thanks for the recipe. I just tried it and it's really tasty. I have a box of cocoa powder sitting around and this is a great way to use it up.

thank you beanygurl i added some cinnimon and nutmeg and it really makes the syrup taste all the much better and you have solved my chocolate milk crisis

I love it!

December 10, 2004 Flag

When making chocolate milk for a treat, put milk and syrup in a sipper cup, put the lid on, cover the hole with your finger and shake to mix it up. No spoon to wash.

By Linda

I drink my choc milk with a straw, so I use the straw to stir in the chocolate syrup.

i use a magic mixer to mix my milky

August 4, 2009 Flag

Make chocolate milk from powdered milk and generic brand chocolate syrup. Then, when kids want hot chocolate, heat it up. It's so easy, and so inexpensive. Marshmallows are optional.

By Stephanie from Anchorage, AK

May 2, 2011 Flag

Does anyone have a recipe for chocolate soldier? It's chocolate milk, made with dry milk, cocoa, and very little sugar. It tastes a great deal like Yoohoo, with no fat, no added stuff! It is cheap to make and makes a gallon. You mix it up and keep it in the fridge a couple hours before you drink it. My children loved it. I would like to give the recipe to my grown daughter for her children to enjoy.

By Marty from Fredericktown, OH

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I found recipe on this website, but didn't list the sugar as one of the ingredients. Just add your own sugar to taste.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BeveragesOctober 27, 2013
Mug of slighty lumpy Greek yogurt.
Greek Yogurt Recipes
Freezing Milk
Freezing Milk
Milk Jug Snoopy
Milk Jug Snoopy Craft